Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2018, 04:35 PM   #1

I5DS Charger/Inverter changing settings?

This has happened a couple times now and not sure if I'm doing something wrong?

A couple times the charger/inverter has changed battery type- happened last weekend. I had forgotten the manuals at home- I knew something was wrong but what.

I'm camping at Off Road Vehicle Park, no power, lots of big trees and not much sun (40 to 55 degrees). So, during, day it's happy on 4 fully charged size 27 batteries. But dinner comes and turn on generator- somethings wrong- gen sounds funny, different displays on inverter remote- high Amp then low amps. I think about then it popped breaker on inverter- by that time its dark- so stay calm try to think of what it could be, go through camper, then start looking at charger/inverter, find breaker and reset. Didn't use Microwave again.

So I don't yet know what's going on, debate packing up; but decide to stay and worry tomorrow. Out 4 Wheeling during day and leave camper cold- come back many hours later. Same problems all night, the next day go home and figure out the charger/inverter had switched to a different battery and charging configuration- flooded? It had CC/CV and kept say Silent mode. again I had forgotten books and when home in comfortable chair I figured it out.

It caused the Gen to run fast; but no power indicated on Remote- just a high voltage then a 12 volt and no current.

It had changed another time, but warmer and really didn't need the generator and by morning sun charged me up.

Does this happen to others- not a biggie any more- after last weekend I will not forget to check the Remote display for battery type. So is this normal'ish? I probably have a dozen or more trips on it and changed twice.

Also is the AGS supposed to reset from enable to off? It makes sense that you might not want Gen starting when not around camper.

I didn't know which AGM battery type to use and somehow deduced on AGM2?

Also since it was cool, I thought that using Generator Autostart and batteries was correct; but should i leave generator on continuously? I also have a residential fridge.

I expect to mostly camp with power; but state Off Road Vehicle parks are primitive. So do I need a Camper type fridge?
Wrangler4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 04:55 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrangler4X4 View Post
This has happened a couple times now and not sure if I'm doing something wrong?

A couple times the charger/inverter has changed battery type- happened last weekend. I had forgotten the manuals at home- I knew something was wrong but what.

I'm camping at Off Road Vehicle Park, no power, lots of big trees and not much sun (40 to 55 degrees). So, during, day it's happy on 4 fully charged size 27 batteries. But dinner comes and turn on generator- somethings wrong- gen sounds funny, different displays on inverter remote- high Amp then low amps. I think about then it popped breaker on inverter- by that time its dark- so stay calm try to think of what it could be, go through camper, then start looking at charger/inverter, find breaker and reset. Didn't use Microwave again.

So I don't yet know what's going on, debate packing up; but decide to stay and worry tomorrow. Out 4 Wheeling during day and leave camper cold- come back many hours later. Same problems all night, the next day go home and figure out the charger/inverter had switched to a different battery and charging configuration- flooded? It had CC/CV and kept say Silent mode. again I had forgotten books and when home in comfortable chair I figured it out.

It caused the Gen to run fast; but no power indicated on Remote- just a high voltage then a 12 volt and no current.

It had changed another time, but warmer and really didn't need the generator and by morning sun charged me up.

Does this happen to others- not a biggie any more- after last weekend I will not forget to check the Remote display for battery type. So is this normal'ish? I probably have a dozen or more trips on it and changed twice.

Also is the AGS supposed to reset from enable to off? It makes sense that you might not want Gen starting when not around camper.

I didn't know which AGM battery type to use and somehow deduced on AGM2?

Also since it was cool, I thought that using Generator Autostart and batteries was correct; but should i leave generator on continuously? I also have a residential fridge.

I expect to mostly camp with power; but state Off Road Vehicle parks are primitive. So do I need a Camper type fridge?
If you put your RV type on the signature Line it will help us to help you. Oops sorry, just noticed you wrote it at the beginning.
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Previous coach 2017 Isata 3RW
Also,3 Diesel pushers, 1Bvan, 2 class Cs
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 08:56 AM   #3
Commercial Member

1. if you're out and don't have the manual, you should still be able to pull them up off the app. When you go to the page that discusses the generator, the manuals should be there as "associated pdf's". 8k gen.

I'm not sure the battery type is really the issue however. It should be AGM2...as there is only one brand of AGM that uses AGM 1...I don't recall which, but I posted that somewhere when I did know.

During the day, you say fully charged, but if you are running the residential fridge you are likely draining the batteries. You should have the auto gen start set for voltage. If you are away, I would say 12.2 to be safe.

It sounds to me like the batteries are draining.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 10:09 AM   #4

I wasn't aware there was an app. Where do I get it and what is it called?
Old 10-16-2018, 10:12 AM   #5
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bratbros View Post
I wasn't aware there was an app. Where do I get it and what is it called?
If you look just below where I am typing, there should be a link in my signature.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 01:43 PM   #6

I was camping in Mtns, foot hills of MT Rainier, Elbe ORV, and no cell service. I keep it set on AGM2; but somehow a couple times something happened and it reverted to factory default? The Gen was running fast; but it wouldn't charge- even popped fuze for Microwave and popped 30A breaker on Chanrger/Inverter. The camp fire was warm, I have some warm sleeping bags- so left the camper cold and dark most of weekend.

The first day, the batteries were full, and yes the fridge drained the batteries, as expected, and after starting Gen, it acted funny and remote display is telling me high current then low current and finally no current and microwave wouldn't work. I left it run for awhile, no charging, inverter off, charger wouldn't go on.

After, driving home, seeing the battery was not AGM- I changed it to AGM2 and generator seemed happy; but batteries were already charged from Truck engine on drive home and solar power.

I did have the Auto Gen Start on- I had first started the generator to run microwave and saw problems, and after seeing batteries would not charge, I stopped using the inverter and most of camper- saving the batteries (4- 27's). It was cool, 40's outside, 50's inside, I was warm enough- still more comfortable then a tent!
Wrangler4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 09:38 PM   #7

" silent" mode prioritizes solar for charging.
Unless you have more than the 200w factory, dont use this setting.

Not sure how it could have changed by itself.

Tags
inverter