Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2018, 11:11 AM   #1

Increased CCC for Isata 3 (MB Sprinter)

hpdrvr had posted and bclemens had replied that MB was going to add 1000lb to CCC (and subtract same from towing capacity) for the 2019 model year. I'd really like to see this happen. Have not seen any mention on this topic since. Any news? tia!
stretchslr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 03:41 PM   #2
Commercial Member

2019 MY of the Sprinter chassis....that's not due out until late fall. We still haven't seen confirmed specs. Infant, they were building 17 MY chassis up until about March.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 05:58 PM   #3

Got it. Many thanks for your reply!
stretchslr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 09:50 AM   #4

Isata 3 CCC Issue: Legal vs Real World

I would really like to here from real world owners of the Isata 3 what their driving experience has been with this coach when loaded with a reasonable amount of gear and some (1/2 tank) of fresh water? I guess what I'm asking is how much above the posted CCC can you go before you notice any significant handling problems? I am getting ready to take delivery on one of theses units and I am concerned. You can go camping/ traveling without some gear.
Barch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 11:30 AM   #5

I think most of us are all at the upper limit most of the time. Except maybe when we drove it home from the dealer. I haven't noticed any difference at all, but haven't really pushed over the limit. I don't tow anything, so can't speak to that. We carry all the normal kitchen and bath stuff,the refrigerator is packed full, clothes and bedding, a small tool kit, the front compartment is full of fire wood, two mountain bikes, two folding chairs, a fair amount of photography stuff, the two of us and a Golden Retriever. We worried about the same thing at first too, but it just hasn't been an issue. Be conservative, keep things simple, and enjoy your new ride.
Old 04-16-2018, 11:49 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chroniekon View Post
I think most of us are all at the upper limit most of the time. Except maybe when we drove it home from the dealer. I haven't noticed any difference at all, but haven't really pushed over the limit. I don't tow anything, so can't speak to that. We carry all the normal kitchen and bath stuff,the refrigerator is packed full, clothes and bedding, a small tool kit, the front compartment is full of fire wood, two mountain bikes, two folding chairs, a fair amount of photography stuff, the two of us and a Golden Retriever. We worried about the same thing at first too, but it just hasn't been an issue. Be conservative, keep things simple, and enjoy your new ride.
Thank you. That is useful information. I carry mountain bikes as well so that is reassuring.
Old 04-16-2018, 12:00 PM   #7

I have a CCC sticker of 943 lbs and tow a Honda CRV (3600 lbs). I don’t notice any handling issues pulling the toad. There is just two of us and an 8 lb dog, so we don’t really push it. I think most delivered units are under our CCC, some as low as the 3xx which would concern me. I do think if/when the “official” increased weights come out from Mercedes, it will not be due to structural changes, bit rather a “reinterpretation” of existing data. Just my opinion.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	23EA7A43-1D75-41B7-BFE8-0805B1C093EE.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	199.8 KB
ID:	168450  
milkman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 12:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkman55 View Post
I have a CCC sticker of 943 lbs and tow a Honda CRV (3600 lbs). I don’t notice any handling issues pulling the toad. There is just two of us and an 8 lb dog, so we don’t really push it. I think most delivered units are under our CCC, some as low as the 3xx which would concern me. I do think if/when the “official” increased weights come out from Mercedes, it will not be due to structural changes, bit rather a “reinterpretation” of existing data. Just my opinion.
Thanks for the reply. Nice looking outfit! I didn't order the cab over and I went with the tri-fold sofa, so I hope I am closer to 9xx than 3xx! I did go with the levelers.
Old 04-16-2018, 04:10 PM   #9
Commercial Member

you should be. The sofa is definitely lighter and I think the cab over saves around 75 or so. You should be able to get close to that 900 number.

We're continuing to try and find lighter weight materials...but sometimes light can be cheap junk (counters)...or REALLY expensive (like lithium batteries). Seems there is no in between.

Old 04-16-2018, 04:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barch View Post
I would really like to here from real world owners of the Isata 3 what their driving experience has been with this coach when loaded with a reasonable amount of gear and some (1/2 tank) of fresh water? I guess what I'm asking is how much above the posted CCC can you go before you notice any significant handling problems? I am getting ready to take delivery on one of theses units and I am concerned. You can go camping/ traveling without some gear.
I am always at the GVWR of 11,030 or the GCWR of 15,250. I have never had any ill effects and it drives and handles perfectly. I put Sumo Springs on all 4 corners just in case but it drives well.

I don't think anyone wants to document it if they did go over the weight limits for warranty reasons but in my opinion it isn't that big an issue. I have almost two years and 19,000 miles on mine driving through the desert in summer and the mountains of Utah with no problems.
USN-RET/DOD-RET
mlmay12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 10:35 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
you should be. The sofa is definitely lighter and I think the cab over saves around 75 or so. You should be able to get close to that 900 number.

We're continuing to try and find lighter weight materials...but sometimes light can be cheap junk (counters)...or REALLY expensive (like lithium batteries). Seems there is no in between.
Thanks Brian. I appreciate your input (and reassurance) as always. My coach is scheduled for production May 3. I plan on picking up my Coach in Grand Rapids on May 19 and do the factory tour on May 22. I would actually consider the Lithium upgrade to save weight if available.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:39 AM   #12
Commercial Member

Should be fairly safe. We've been running into a TON of shortages lately, so things have had to jump other things because we can't pull some online (chassis harness being the main issue). SO we put things on early, then those are short parts. The small line (3's and 4's) have been less affected, but it seems like a new shortage crops up daily. It used to be suppliers needed 2 weeks lead time. We changed to 4 on our own, then 5 and just changed to 6 to try and minimize them.

Old 04-17-2018, 10:51 AM   #13

Barch, We also purchased in Grand Rapids and went down to Elkhart for the factory tour. And then spent 10 days taking the long way back to Oregon. MHS2Go were great people to deal with, a very good PDI process with a great tech.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:43 AM   #14
Old Engineer

New 2019 Sprinter Introduction

The next-generation 2019 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter van turns its eye toward the future of delivery and mobility, the company said during the vehicle’s debut in Duisburg, Germany, on Tuesday.
The new van will be available in a massive array of body styles, powertrains, connectivity packages and interior seating options. Advanced features such as a 10.25-inch HD touchscreen and Mercedes Pro connect fleet management services bring new capabilities to the full-size van segment.
“Just offering customers a good vehicle is no longer enough,” said Volker Mornhinweg, head of Mercedes-Benz Vans. “As an all-rounder, the new Sprinter must be more than just the sum of its parts.”
Here are notable facts about the 2019 Sprinter van. Read our detailed analysis of the vehicle here.
  • The 2019 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter van will be sold in North America in the fourth quarter of 2018. Pricing has not been announced.
  • Three engines will be available in the U.S. They include two turbocharged diesel engines – a 3.0-liter six-cylinder and a 2.1-liter four-cylinder. Both engines will be mated to a seven-speed automatic transmission.
  • There will also be a gasoline engine option for the first time in a Sprinter van. The gas-powered four-cylinder engine will pair with a nine-speed automatic transmission.
  • An electric powertrain will be available in a new version called the eSprinter. The eSprinter will go on sale in Europe in 2019. It will eventually be sold in the U.S.
  • The curb weight of the 2019 Sprinter van was reduced compared with the previous generation in order to increase its maximum payload capacity. 50kg(110lbs)
  • In the U.S., the 2019 Sprinter comes with a choice of two wheelbases (144-inch and 170-inch) and three body lengths. A front-wheel drive version with its own wheelbase and length is not available in the U.S.
FleckDreher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 11:46 AM   #15

Quote:
Barch, We also purchased in Grand Rapids and went down to Elkhart for the factory tour. And then spent 10 days taking the long way back to Oregon. MHS2Go were great people to deal with, a very good PDI process with a great tech.
That's VERY good news! I have one son living in Portland and one son living in Hood River so I am down your way quite often. I would love to hear about your trip back. We are thinking of taking the northern route.
Old 04-17-2018, 12:16 PM   #16

It was the first part of March last year, so the cold weather was a factor in our route home. We went straight across to Denver camping along the way for the first three or four nights in sub freezing temps and then on to Utah and northern Arizona. Lots to do and see in that region and the temps were in the 70's and 80's!
Old 04-17-2018, 01:24 PM   #17

Quote:
It was the first part of March last year, so the cold weather was a factor in our route home. We went straight across to Denver camping along the way for the first three or four nights in sub freezing temps and then on to Utah and northern Arizona. Lots to do and see in that region and the temps were in the 70's and 80's!
How did the Isata do in the sub freezing temps? Anything freeze up?
Old 04-17-2018, 02:35 PM   #18

One of the days never got above 27 degrees and it had been in the high teens the night before. The only problem we had was the black tank valve was frozen shut. It was fine the next day.
Old 04-21-2018, 01:55 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post

Brian. Thanks for the information and reassurance. As noted, I'm scheduled for May 3rd production run. Is it possible to order an upgrade to Lithium batteries? The list prices are now around $1,000 and the weight savings would be approximately 70 lbs.
Old 04-21-2018, 02:15 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barch View Post
Brian. Thanks for the information and reassurance. As noted, I'm scheduled for May 3rd production run. Is it possible to order an upgrade to Lithium batteries? The list prices are now around $1,000 and the weight savings would be approximately 70 lbs.
Lithium Batteries are awesome, any questions glad to answer them. $949 each or $899 with a Veterans Discount through Battle Born. The new Zamp Solar Controllers alaready have a Lithium Setting so you will be good there. Might have to change out the Converter Section of the PD4060 Power Control Center, about $200. I installed a Victron BMV-712 Monitor but not essential.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Battle Born_ Victron-2.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	257.7 KB
ID:	169073  
USN-RET/DOD-RET
mlmay12 is offline   Reply With Quote