Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2018, 07:07 PM   #1

Internet providers

I’d like to hear some opinions on who has the best internet for rv travelers.
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Previous coach 2017 Isata 3RW
Also,3 Diesel pushers, 1Bvan, 2 class Cs
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 07:13 PM   #2

Verizon
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 07:15 PM   #3

We use the Straight Talk hotspot that uses the Verizon network and it meets our needs while traveling and while camped. I have heard the hotspot that uses the ATT network is not as reliable.
modemem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 07:52 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Davis View Post
I’d like to hear some opinions on who has the best internet for rv travelers.

Most smart phones can be used as a 'hot spot' or essentially a cellular WiFi right in your coach as long as you have a good cell signal. Meaning that your WiFi only table or other device can pair up with your phone and connect to the internet.

Cost depends on your plan. We travel all over the U.S. Ours is unlimited, and works great and we have great coverage. We are with ATT.
Days camped 2021 = 25
caseymyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 08:16 PM   #5
Who Dares, Wins

Using a Verizon MiFi right now to be on the forums.. It has done use well all over the eastern US.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 08:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
Using a Verizon MiFi right now to be on the forums.. It has done use well all over the eastern US.

X2 on the Verizon mifi. I rarely have had an issue and have used it all over the US.
Old 05-26-2018, 08:27 PM   #7
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc-canuck View Post
X2 on the Verizon mifi. I rarely have had an issue and have used it all over the US.
Forgot to add into CAN as well it worked all around Ontario.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 05-26-2018, 08:45 PM   #8

verizon for over 15 years
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 09:35 PM   #9

We have both AT&T and Verizon with the former being the primary. Haven’t used Verizon much over the last year as we have found that they are usually either both strong or both weak or nonexistent. Will keep Verizon active for those times when they are better.
dlfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 09:44 PM   #10

We use a StraightTalk hot spot. Don't know if it's the best, but it works for us because the data cost is pretty low and I can connect all my devices easily.

We use the Smartphone also, but I sometimes have trouble reading that small screen.
Old 05-27-2018, 06:07 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
We use a StraightTalk hot spot. Don't know if it's the best, but it works for us because the data cost is pretty low and I can connect all my devices easily.

We use the Smartphone also, but I sometimes have trouble reading that small screen.
I looked at there plans and it looks like a real good deal. Is it as good as it looks? Is it fast?
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Previous coach 2017 Isata 3RW
Also,3 Diesel pushers, 1Bvan, 2 class Cs
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 06:29 AM   #12

We use an iPhone-8 with the hot spot. It works great with the laptop computer and our iPads. We haven't streamed movies, but others have said it does that just fine. Except in a few mountain locations, we have always had good service with AT&T. It would pay to shop around for the best deal on a data plan.

Regarding speed, it's seems to be the same as our DSL wifi at home.

Dave
caswelld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 09:16 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Davis View Post
I looked at there plans and it looks like a real good deal. Is it as good as it looks? Is it fast?
Fast? Better than most campground wifi, plus you aren't using an open network.

I have a Kindle Fire and that increases the speed, but any tablet will download less data and thus increase speed. I need a device that allows me to connect all my devices.

We have friends with a Verizon tablet and that is a whole lot easier to use than a hotspot. I've just been too lazy to investigate it.

Don't have a smartphone with an internal hotspot.
Old 05-27-2018, 09:33 AM   #14
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfishing View Post
We have both AT&T and Verizon with the former being the primary. Haven’t used Verizon much over the last year as we have found that they are usually either both strong or both weak or nonexistent. Will keep Verizon active for those times when they are better.
You won’t find a wholeness lot of people who carry both and can objectively say which is “better”. Like dlfishing, we carry both AT&T and Verizon. I can safely say that they’re about equal when I look back over our travels. You never know when one will work and the other won’t or one will be fast and the other not or even both will work equally well.

If I had to pick just one, I’d probably go with Verizon. But since I personally *need* decent internet, I carry both with boosters and antennas. But, I work a normal 9-5 from my rig while fulltiming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by modemem View Post
We use the Straight Talk hotspot that uses the Verizon network and it meets our needs while traveling and while camped. I have heard the hotspot that uses the ATT network is not as reliable.
Friends of ours had Verizon through a 3rd party like this. We were in Kanab, UT and they had pitiful speeds. My native Verion hotspot had decent service and speeds. I don’t know how often this happens, but it does.
Old 05-27-2018, 09:35 AM   #15

We use the Verizon MIFI. Works great and all 4 of us with our phones plus a couple of computers. We get service in some of the most remote areas that I thought would be dead spots.
JRM63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 10:07 AM   #16
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

I also use a Verizon Mifi hotspot for internet...

I have internet when most other people in a remote RV park doesn't have any.

I connect my desktop, laptop and iPad Air to it...I don't bother connecting my Moto Z2 Play to it as it does fine on it's own!

While I have the 'Beyond Unlimited' plan, if you exceed 15GB's Verizon slows you down...and it is really slow!

And if you want fast speed again they'll gladly charge you another $35 for 5GB's more!

Word of caution to those using Windows 10 computers...

Turn the Windows 10 auto-update OFF!

It will blow through your 15GB's in a heartbeat...and like in my case, it did it on the first day of my new data cycle (that's how I know about that $35 bucks for extra data).

All that being said, I believe that Verizon gives the best internet and coverage for those on the road bar none!
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 12:00 PM   #17
Who Dares, Wins

I believe, very well could be wrong, only the windows 10 pro let's you disable the auto updates. They say it is better for the experience.. yeah okay!

What can be done on windows home editions (what I have) is make the mifi a "metered" connection. This will prevent windows updates.

Also if you use an auto online backup, I do for my photography, make sure to set the mifi / hot spot a restricted network for auto backups,or it will also eat up your data FAST!

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 05-27-2018, 12:10 PM   #18
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
I believe, very well could be wrong, only the windows 10 pro let's you disable the auto updates. They say it is better for the experience.. yeah okay!

What can be done on windows home editions (what I have) is make the mifi a "metered" connection. This will prevent windows updates.

Also if you use an auto online backup, I do for my photography, make sure to set the mifi / hot spot a restricted network for auto backups,or it will also eat up your data FAST!
There is a way to do it in Windows 10 Home edition...but you have to be a computer guru to know how to do it.

Luckily...I have a friend that did it for me on my desktop and laptop!
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 01:25 PM   #19
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
There is a way to do it in Windows 10 Home edition...but you have to be a computer guru to know how to do it.

Luckily...I have a friend that did it for me on my desktop and laptop!
Yes there is always away but for the typical user,non guru, the metered connection is the easy way.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 05-27-2018, 01:51 PM   #20

The AT&T Mobley device is the very best deal out there. $22.04 a month for unlimited data. It is subject to “network management” based on cell tower congestion after using 22 gig a month. Unfortunately the plan is not available now unless you are an original customer. Hopefully, it will be offered again.

I only experienced the network management thing once at a Nascar track. The speed dropped from 25 MPBS to 3 MBPS. Still good enough to stream Netflix, barely. If you have DirectTVNow then the stream is exempt from management. My monthly usage has approached 200 gig and never a problem. DTV is always unlimited data if you are an AT&T customer.

There are workarounds to the Mobley five connected device limit and reception in some areas but it we don’t discuss that on a public forum.