Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2018, 07:36 PM   #1

Inverter Problem on 2006 Dynamax Isata 282

We have newly acquired a 2006 Dynamax Isata 282. We have a 1000W inverter that is not giving DC power to the outlets. It appears to be charging the batteries, and the status light is on, but no power to the outlets when we are not plugged in to electric. Is there a fuse somewhere that may be tripped and if so, where would this fuse be? Any help in this would be great. Thanks.

Bonnie Harris
Fizzypoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 07:51 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizzypoo View Post
We have newly acquired a 2006 Dynamax Isata 282. We have a 1000W inverter that is not giving DC power to the outlets. It appears to be charging the batteries, and the status light is on, but no power to the outlets when we are not plugged in to electric. Is there a fuse somewhere that may be tripped and if so, where would this fuse be? Any help in this would be great. Thanks.

Bonnie Harris
Generators
Conventional generators have a motor attached to an alternator that produces electricity. The motor must run at a constant speed usually, 3600 rpm to produce the standard frequency of 60 cycle current. If the engine’s rpm fluctuates, so will the frequency of electric output.

Converters
Converters are powered by 120 v AC current and changes it to 12 v DC current. No motor involved. Except cooling fan.

Inverters
A traditional inverter is powered by a 12 volt battery and produces 120v AC at limited wattage. No motor involved. Commonly used in Motor homes and high-end 5th wheels. .

Inverter Generators

These are motor driven 3-phase generators that output AC current like most traditional generators, but that current is then converted to DC, and then “inverted” back to clean AC power and frequency

They are called “inverter generators” but since people tend to simplify terminology, “inverter generator” often gets changed, sometimes to “inverter” and sometimes to “generator” which leads to confusion as which one is being discussed. Both terms are commonly used to refer to inverter generators.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 08:24 PM   #3

We are dealing with a 600W Pure Sine Wave Inverter Model WF-600. I thought it was a 1000W but I am mistaken, from the label on the inverter it says 600W.

Bonnie Harris
Old 03-23-2018, 08:36 PM   #4

i'm just making an educated guess. I'll take that you really do have a 600 watt inverter. can you look at it? it probably has a 110 volt outlet built into it. it may be a gfci outlet. first check is to see if there is anything plugged into the inverter outlet. if not, it probably isn't supplying power to anything. next check would be to plug something (like a lamp or radio) into the inverter outlet and see if what you plugged in comes on. if not, check the outlet to see if is a gfci outlet and press reset if it is. the whole objective is to prove that the inverter actually works.

do you by chance have a residential refrigerator. is so the inverter was installed at the factory and probably is wired to only power the refrigerator. if not, the inverter was probably added by a previous owner and who knows how it was wired and what it supplied power to. could be a tv, cpap machine, etc. but almost certainly it is not wired to supply power to all of the 110 volt outlets. they will only have power when connected to shore power or a generator.
Old 03-23-2018, 08:54 PM   #5

No residential fridge. The gfi is good. We don’t have a plug in on this inverter. There is a wire that comes from the back of the inverter and plugs into an outlet beside it. You are probably right that it is an add in and not from the factory. The original brochure said that this model came with a 1000W inverter. We are probably going to get a new and larger inverter and may try to add an additional battery too. Bonnie Harris
Old 03-23-2018, 09:09 PM   #6

just another thought. you said there is a cable that comes out the back of the inverter and plugs into a standard 110 volt outlet? or does it go into an outlet box that has a standard 110 volt outlet. and this cable is not the 12 volt dc cables that bring power to the inverter from the battery. the reason I ask is that if the inverter is plugged into a standard 110 volt outlet I would assume the inverter has a transfer switch function built into it and it is passing through the 110 volt power it gets from the outlet box. but if the cable goes from the inverter into the outlet box (and connects to the backside of the 110 volt outlet) then that cable is providing 110 volt power that the inverter has generated. if this is the case the only outlet that the inverter is powering is the one that one. check to see if the inverter is taking power from this outlet box or providing power to it. it makes a difference
Old 03-23-2018, 09:18 PM   #7

Thanks for that info, we will check that tomorrow. Bonnie Harris
Old 03-23-2018, 09:23 PM   #8

I found a picture of the inverter. there are two 20 amp gfci outlets on the front panel. this is where you would get power FROM the inverter. is anything plugged into these receptacles? but your test device (radio, lamp) into one of these to verify if the inverter is supplying power. I have to believe that the cable from the rear panel is a 110 volt INPUT cable that supplies 110 volt power to the inverter. when the inverter senses this power it will pass it through to the output receptacles on the front panel. it will only invert the 12 volt dc power when there is no 110 volt ac power being supplied to it. this is an educated guess, if I could find a manual I could verify my thoughts.
Old 03-23-2018, 09:34 PM   #9

I'm guessing you have something like this:

https://www.invertersupply.com/index...0Listing%20Ads

It only supplies 1 outlet @ 5 amps 120 volts. All your other outlets will not work unless you are on shore power or generator. It may power your TV. But that would be all. Your converter charges your batteries and supplys 12v power for lighting and other 12 equipment when on shore power.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter