Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2018, 10:02 PM   #1

inverter question (I5 30fw)

We have the new Magnum Inverter, not sure that makes a difference but the question is do you leave it on all the time? Turn it off when plugged into shore power? If so, turn it on before you unplug or after or does it matter? I'm talking about at the control panel in the column inside the coach. I think we don't do anything at the inverter itself. Thanks!
Windsurf-mobile for us
LandKKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 06:37 AM   #2

I don't know your coach but on most modern inverters they are equipped with auto switching so that when you plug into shore power the inverter turns off on its own. The manual switch is for those times when you don't want the inverter to run like storage.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 07:49 AM   #3

I would leave it on. It’s likely capable of picking up the slack in the event of a power outage then.
Old 04-13-2018, 08:09 AM   #4

You should leave it on all the time. It will switch automatically between shore, gen, and inverter power. It is also your coach and house battery charger. The only change I make is when I store the coach and plug it into 110v power. I switch the breaker size to 15 amp max to limit its draw and prevent the storage shed breaker from tripping. I also leave my fridge running in storage. No worries about mold and it’s cold and ready to go.

2018 Isata 5 DS
sseaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 08:50 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sseaner View Post
You should leave it on all the time. It will switch automatically between shore, gen, and inverter power. It is also your coach and house battery charger. The only change I make is when I store the coach and plug it into 110v power. I switch the breaker size to 15 amp max to limit its draw and prevent the storage shed breaker from tripping. I also leave my fridge running in storage. No worries about mold and it’s cold and ready to go.
The control panel for the inverter has a buttons for inverter on/off and charge on/off. Leave them both on?
Windsurf-mobile for us
Old 04-13-2018, 10:14 AM   #6

The system is basically automatic. When you have an ac source the charger will kick in. When you are on battery the inverter will turn on. The on/off buttons are to override and manually turn off. Just verify the operation via the LED. Charger on while plugged in or on gen or inverter on while on ship power. I never knew they started using the Magnum inverters. Plus the LCD will indicate the invert/charge status.

2018 Isata 5 DS
Old 04-14-2018, 10:41 AM   #7
Senior

I normally leave mine off except when we need A.C. power. It is another phanthom drain on the battery even when it's not being used. Then again we often dry camp/boondock frequently and I want to conserve my battery whenever possible.
sailski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 10:45 AM   #8

The Isata 5 comes with a residential fridge (unless you optioned the RV fridge) so no inverter = no fridge.

2018 Isata 5 DS
Old 04-14-2018, 11:05 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sseaner View Post
The Isata 5 comes with a residential fridge (unless you optioned the RV fridge) so no inverter = no fridge.
Correct, so turning off is not an option while boondocking.
Windsurf-mobile for us
Old 04-14-2018, 03:56 PM   #10

Linda, did you opt for the optional batteries? How many batteries and how many solar panels for dry camping?
Days camped 2021 = 25
caseymyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 04:17 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseymyers View Post
Linda, did you opt for the optional batteries? How many batteries and how many solar panels for dry camping?
No, just the 2 batteries and 2 solar panels
Windsurf-mobile for us
Old 04-14-2018, 04:23 PM   #12

some 'ol school campers might say that they turn off the inverter when on shore or generator, but 'new school campers will probably agree that leaving the inverter on is your 'back up' to power loss when the shore power fails, or, of course, when the generator shuts off.

because the inverter is there to provide continuous 120v power to outlets, and because most folks want power to their outlets 24/7 while camping, turning oFF the inverter only insures that you'll be disappointed at some point. Leave it on.

now, if you are also concerned that leaving the inverter on could cause undue depletion of your batteries, your Magnum panel may give you to option of an 'LBCO' setting, which tells the inverter when to automatically shut down if the batteries get too low because you are not on Shore Power or the Generator cannot be started. A good rule of thumb setting is generally 11.5.
If you also have an AGS(auto gen starter), then it can be set up to crank the generator and recharge your batteries whenever they fall to a certainly level, such as 12.0, automatically. Nice.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter