Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2017, 08:55 AM   #1

Isata 3 24FW24 tow capacity

Looking to purchase an Isata 3 24FW. Would like to hear from folks what their tow vehicle is with this unit and how the performance is. We live in UT, so must tow up/down mountains often. Thanks, Jim
brewnut44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 12:41 PM   #2
Senior

I live in Crested Butte CO and own a 2017 Forester 2401W that I tow a 2014 Honda CR-V with. The Sprinter chassis has adequate power IMO. Although we go over Monarch Pass when we have gone to the East coast and our speed drops to 45 MPH and 40 at the top I never experienced a long line of cars impatiently behind me. On the other hand the one time I tried Cottonwood Pass I had trouble accelerating after the 10 MPH switchbacks near the top.

This summer we plan to head West to visit the National Parks mostly in California then head to LA to take the coastal highway to Seattle. I am confident that we will not have any problems although we will not establish a record time for the journey. My bucket list is to visit as many of the National Parks as I can now that we are retired. We bought our motorhome because it will fit in any RV site in a national park campground.

By the way I believe the maximum tow limit is 4,200 lbs.

Bob Fraser
2017 Forester MBS 2401W
sailski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 02:04 PM   #3

Bob,
Thank you for this input. We were actually looking at the CRV as well, also assumed 45mhp uphills sounds right. The 4200 tow limit is first heard as all the dealers talk 5k. If I may ask a couple other questions: does it feel like your pulling a heavy load or does it pull it rather smoothly? how does it brake going down hill as I see no tow/haul mode or exhaust brake capibilties? I assume you can down shift but will this slow a pretty good hold back?

We just did the Ca parks last spring and I will say the Sierra foot hills are the toughest hills I ever delt with in terms of down hill and retention of speed then right back up and stop lights at the tops and bottom. We do pull a 5th wheel with a duramax and it has all the buttons but man it was a ride at times to keep under 45.
Old 03-29-2017, 03:17 PM   #4

We have a 2013 solera, same chassis, and we tow a 2 door Jeep Wrangler soft top with back seat removed (for our 2 labs)
Tows fine. Weighs 4000
Going up steep grades slows a bit but I keep her at 60 or so
(Limit actually 55). Towed Jeep from San Diego to Oregon and back, over grapevine. Downshift to 3rd going down grades. The Jeep is nice to have on our camping vacation s, goes anywhere.
Sandiegodoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 06:37 PM   #5

We have a 16 Isata and tow a Jeep Wrangler TJ, about 3800 lbs. tows and tracks great. Easy to set up and fun to drive
Full Time in the Summer, soon
Part Time in the Winter
Days Camped, Not Enough
CZNEDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 08:11 PM   #6

Wait, it's a 17
Full Time in the Summer, soon
Part Time in the Winter
Days Camped, Not Enough
CZNEDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 08:49 AM   #7

Thank you for this great information.
Did you install a brake system on your Jeep?
Thanks Jim
Old 03-30-2017, 09:30 AM   #8

Yes
I had a brake system installed that included an electric brake booster. It's on the Jeep all the time and invisible. Takes about 1 minute to disconnect Jeep and drive away. Newer jks don't have a steering wheel lock so no need to have key in ignition.
Old 03-30-2017, 10:35 AM   #9

Is this a particular braking system name brand, did your RV dealer or car dealer install it? Sounds like you very happy with it.
Thank you, Jim
Old 03-30-2017, 10:45 AM   #10

Rv dealer didn't install. Don't trust them to do any mods. Had it done by a local shop . They do a lot of Jeep connections to rvs
I'll try to find out brand. I like it because the electric brake booster seems to keep Jeep brakes fully functional and I think they really help stop us.
Old 03-30-2017, 11:06 AM   #11
Senior

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewnut44 View Post
Bob,
Thank you for this input. We were actually looking at the CRV as well, also assumed 45mhp uphills sounds right. The 4200 tow limit is first heard as all the dealers talk 5k. If I may ask a couple other questions: does it feel like your pulling a heavy load or does it pull it rather smoothly? how does it brake going down hill as I see no tow/haul mode or exhaust brake capibilties? I assume you can down shift but will this slow a pretty good hold back?

We just did the Ca parks last spring and I will say the Sierra foot hills are the toughest hills I ever delt with in terms of down hill and retention of speed then right back up and stop lights at the tops and bottom. We do pull a 5th wheel with a duramax and it has all the buttons but man it was a ride at times to keep under 45.
Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. If you decide on a CRV you need to find a 2014 or older one. In 2015 they began using a CVT transmission and you cannot tow it with all 4 wheels on the ground although you could use a dolly (more weight). It does tow nicely though. I notice the acceleration and mileage are less but on the interstates I hardly know it's back there.

I do downshift as necessary in the mountains. Something I have done my entire life to save the brakes. (I now have 38,000 miles and 12,000 towing miles on the original brakes of the CRV. My mechanic said they were about half worn out at the last oil change.) I added a braking system so it stops reasonably well although I always try to maintain a good distance for stopping.

Hope this helps you with your decision.

Bob Fraser
2017 Forester 2401W
sailski is offline   Reply With Quote