Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2018, 06:54 PM   #1

Isata 3 Delivery + few questions

Tis the season, apparently, for new coach deliveries. We took delivery yesterday and could not be more pleased Just a few comments about how it went and a few questions.
Dealer (Barrington RV Sales in Bartlett, IL) had spent a lot of time preparing and we spent 4+ hours for the walkthrough and testing. Per a previous post, I had accumulated and read most of the equipment manuals. It allowed me to dig a little deeper into each component and ask pertinent questions. Very tiring and time consuming, but well worth the time. A short summary:

1) Everything was tested and worked flawlessly. We are new to the motorhome life, so it was interesting to note that you cannot turn anything on with one switch....it usually takes 2 and sometimes 3 operations to make things work. I can see how operator error can happen easily. Anyway, quality of components was obvious, as compared to less expensive alternatives.
2) We found the following minor issues: 1 cabinet door hinge was loose; pull out drawer under one of the dining area benches had a faulty slide; screens were not installed properly (person who delivered the coach from the factory had taken them out for signs, etc. and did not put them in properly); No AM reception and poor FM reception on the GPS unit; fuse locations were not labeled on the chart next to the fuses. All minor issues (except the fuse labeling and GPS unit) and were fixed on the spot.
3) Surprises (good): Auto leveling system is AWESOME, worked perfectly, and was calibrated dead center; had not seen ceiling fans operate before....very cool; TV reception on antenna was actually quite good; found zero debris inside drawers, corners, etc. Very well detailed.
4) Surprises: CCC is only 158KG!! Add the wife and my weight and there is basically very little weight left to add. We do not plan on loading a lot, but this will require some creative weight management techniques. We did get auto levelers offset a little by AL wheels, but I did expect a little more CCC.

Again, a very good experience so far. I do have a quick question. Can anyone pass on a picture of the fuse labeling on the fusebox door? This assumes all Isata 3's are wired the same for 2018. There was another 2018 Isata 3 on the lot, but the label on the door on that one was also blank.
Thanks for listening! We are looking forward to our first trip in a couple of weeks assuming the weather improves. All the best.
Old 04-13-2018, 08:13 PM   #2

Congratulations, I think AM/FM reception sucks in all of them... We get no AM at all. As far as the CCC is concerned as long as you stick to the bare necessities you should be fine... because my wife insists on taking the poodles along I have adopted the "Cousin Eddie" approach to my wardrobe. I take a tank top, speedos and flip-flops...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cousin Eddie.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	168184  
Greg-Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 08:23 PM   #3

Something to look forward to.....
Old 04-13-2018, 09:38 PM   #4

All kidding aside, one of the reasons we went with the FW was because we knew we'd never meet weight with an RW, loved all the storage but knew if we wanted the levelers we needed to trim weight elsewhere. The FW had a more open feel and we liked the shower a lot more also. It was tough going from a Class A with a full wardrobe and separate closets to one drawer each and a small shared closet! We took stock and found we were hauling a bunch of stuff around with us that we really didn't need or use all that much. We didn't need folding gravity chaise lounges, folding picnic table or a folding camping chair for anyone who might show up to the campfire. I left the coleman camp stove, cast iron pans, dutch ovens(never used!) extra propane tanks, and table service for 12 at home! Cut way back on the extra towels, linens and blankets etc. We live out of a carry-on bag each which we store on the front overhead bunk and do laundry a little more often. As far as the top bunk goes, we leave the insert, pads and ladder at home, that probably saves 50# right there. We also try to keep the tanks empty and only travel with a full water tank when boon docking. And last but not least we have the jeep to put stuff in, it's towed four down so the tongue weight has a minimal effect on the CCC. I'm others will have a lot of tips also, we love ours and really don't seem to miss all the junk!
Old 04-13-2018, 09:52 PM   #5

Forgot to ask, which fuse box door? The one under the drivers seat has nothing... here is the one below the stovetop and truma dial.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0033.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	231.9 KB
ID:	168190  
Old 04-13-2018, 10:22 PM   #6

Greg-Gabe: Thanks and Thanks. First, for the great weight loss suggestions and second for the label. The one I need is the one you provided. Is yours a 2018 model?
Old 04-13-2018, 10:55 PM   #7

Yes , ours is a 2018 also, picked it up just before Christmas.
Old 04-14-2018, 04:11 PM   #8

Mike, congratulations. I have had mine since June 2016 (19,000 miles) and love it. They do lack CCC in my opinion and I find myself adding things and removing other things just as fast. I have mine set up pretty comfortably now with everything I need.

I just weighed it yesterday with full fuel, full propane and half tank of fresh water at 10,710. That only leaves 320 lbs for people and cargo which isn't realistic in my opinion. Very hard to stay under the GVWR. I also tow a 2016 Jeep Wrangler and use it as a cargo trailer with all the heavy stuff in the Jeep (2 door-Back seat removed). I put Sumo Springs on all 4 corners to help with the suspension and have done quite a few mods. Between the two I am always at the GCWR of 15,250 lbs.

The main thing I worry about is the Transmission Temperature. I have an Ultra Gauge that displays it and it is almost always over 200 deg and has gotten as high as 230. I plan to service the transmission every 20,000 miles and hopefully that will help its longevity.

Anyway Congrats and be happy to answer any questions.
USN-RET/DOD-RET
mlmay12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 08:35 PM   #9

I picked up a new 18 fw a coupleof weeks ago. Didn't realize until I was on the way home, how bad the radio reception is on the GPS unit. Anyone know where the radio antenna is located?
TINSEAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 10:22 PM   #10

Supposed to be in the driver's side A pillar.
V8vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 10:23 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TINSEAST View Post
I picked up a new 18 fw a coupleof weeks ago. Didn't realize until I was on the way home, how bad the radio reception is on the GPS unit. Anyone know where the radio antenna is located?
Are you talking about the GPS or the AM/FM Radio? My AM/FM dash radio has never worked well so I use the XM Satellite Radio or Bluetooth with my phone. The GPS System was not installed in mine so I had to add the GPS Module and Antenna later. I think the GPS and Satellite Radio share an antenna that is located on the left side of the roof over the driver. At least the Sony Radio in my 2016 does. Not sure about the 2018.
USN-RET/DOD-RET
Old 04-15-2018, 07:25 AM   #12

Thanks, my XM and Bluetooth antennas (separate antennas) are located on the inside of the drivers side window post. I cannot see an antenna for the radio. Poor reception, also poor AM/FM reception on the entertainment system in the living area, antenna is inside above the walk-in door.
TINSEAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 03:21 PM   #13
Bigwave

Hi,
Looked up the ultra gauge. It does not talk about Mercedes. Which one are you using The ultra gauge MX 1.3?
bigwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 04:25 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwave View Post
Hi,
Looked up the ultra gauge. It does not talk about Mercedes. Which one are you using The ultra gauge MX 1.3?
The UltraGauge Blue. It has an adapter that plugs into the OBDII Port and works wirelessly with an App on your phone. I have a phone mount and keep the App on anytime I'm driving the Isata3. It has an incredible number of gauges you can program to monitor. Works very well.

https://ultra-gauge.com/ZC/index.php...products_id=91
USN-RET/DOD-RET
Old 04-16-2018, 11:11 AM   #15
Commercial Member

As for antenna...this is what we are using.

The issues may have been two fold. I am told for a while, they may not have been connecting the 12V antenna wire to the boosted antenna. Not sure how long that could have happened, but it is connected on everything I looked at.

Then they put that antenna in the A-pillar which also may have interfered.

Now we are stretching that out across the dash (or below I think).

The issue that we have is that the antenna that is given to us by Mercedes is a cab roof mount and of course that is not an option.

Going forward for 2019MY we are looking at the Windegard ConeccT 2.0. If that works, we would like to tie our stuff into that Am/FM antenna. Roof mount would be ideal.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_8263.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	168448  

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote