Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2018, 12:43 PM   #1

Isata 3 door delamination

I have been following a FB discussion on door delamination on Isata 3's and decided to check mine, which was built in March of this year. Sure enough, it is showing the delamination issues. Apparently many other's are also. Separately, I have been very happy with mine with very few issues. No complaints there. However, my door is definitely going to require repair/replacement as others are finding. Someone noted the factory is aware of the problem. Just curious if the industry has recalls for widespread issues such as this is looking to be or just replacement on demand. Not familiar with RV industry practices.
Old 08-13-2018, 02:32 PM   #2
Commercial Member

I am the factory and am not aware of any door de-lam issues. While I have seen one that I know of, that one had a clear seal void at the key pad. Seals are a maintenance item and need to be maintained. Check there first...but in the one I saw, there was a seal that had pulled away from the door which means water is just funneling into that area, which is where it started to de-lam.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 02:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
I am the factory and am not aware of any door de-lam issues. While I have seen one that I know of, that one had a clear seal void at the key pad. Seals are a maintenance item and need to be maintained. Check there first...but in the one I saw, there was a seal that had pulled away from the door which means water is just funneling into that area, which is where it started to de-lam.
There are at least 4 of us with the same issue. They all seem to be new units so it is not a maintenance issue. Mine has only seen rain once on a long trip and is parked in my enclosed shop all the time. One person is already having their door replaced. Someone at the factory told her they are aware of the issue. I will check the seal on mine and see if it was installed correctly or I can see any other issues.
Old 08-13-2018, 02:58 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Telling someone we have seen it before is a little different than something being a known issue...not trying to play semantics or denying that you have an issue...just saying there is no known issue, as in a known defect from a door supplier.

Old 08-13-2018, 03:35 PM   #5

Understood. Hopefully just isolated cases. My concern was that my delamination looked very similar to pictures of others...same symptoms and location but looks to be just occurring and not as advanced. As mentioned earlier, I'll check to see if I can see any abnormal seals that might be causing it to help with the eventual repair or maybe stopping any continued issues now.
Old 08-13-2018, 03:46 PM   #6
Commercial Member

It would be similar in that it would have a wood block in that area for the lockset mount. Sometimes when they laminate the door, that block can show up, even though it is not de-lam. Its just when they press/laminate the skins, or with heat and cold it "prints through"...which is what we call it, if it progresses, then it is de-lam.

On cold mornings, the metal studs can do the same thing...you can sort of see where they are, just by the use of mixed materials. Something to keep an eye on.

But for sure, check the seals. If the seal if broken, water can get in and swell that wood block, which in turn can de-laminate.

Old 08-13-2018, 03:52 PM   #7

The delamination I and others are having (or at least what I am referring to) is occurring on the inside of the door. The white panel on the inside of the door (2018 Isata 3) is showing multiple bubbles in the door panel. Someone else called it delamination, which it probably is, but it looks like the flat surface on the inside of the door is bubbling, meaning it is separating from whatever substrate it is attached to. Hope that makes sense.
Old 08-13-2018, 03:56 PM   #8

Brian, what type sealant do we use around the keypad on an Isata 5 entrance door?

Phil and Jan Bell
2018 Isata 5 36DS 4x4
I5PhilGa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 04:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikemdd View Post
The delamination I and others are having (or at least what I am referring to) is occurring on the inside of the door. The white panel on the inside of the door (2018 Isata 3) is showing multiple bubbles in the door panel. Someone else called it delamination, which it probably is, but it looks like the flat surface on the inside of the door is bubbling, meaning it is separating from whatever substrate it is attached to. Hope that makes sense.
Pics would be most helpful.....
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 04:32 PM   #10

I have same issue. Mine is grey, and bubbles form when door open and gets warm. Once it cools, bubbles go away, maybe not enough glue.
Sandiegodoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 04:40 PM   #11

Hard to take pictures of white background but hopefully you can see. Lower left hand side. The pictures from another person with the same issue is much more advanced but similarly located areas.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180813_141219.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	336.4 KB
ID:	183132   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180813_141231.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	318.8 KB
ID:	183133  
Old 08-13-2018, 04:42 PM   #12

The exterior side of my Entry Door bubbled on my 2018 DX3, Dynamax must be experiencing low bid issues for Entry Doors.
Las Vegas, NV
johnmbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 04:46 PM   #13

This one may be a little better. No obvious seal leaks, other than maybe at the top forward corner of the metal trim on the outside, there "could" be a gap around the radius that is not totally flush with the door. Not obvious but just trying to see something. Otherwise, looks good as far as sealing
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180813_141210.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	396.1 KB
ID:	183139  
Old 08-13-2018, 04:54 PM   #14

That’s exactly what mine looks like
Sandiegodoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 08:40 AM   #15
Commercial Member

Yes, that is different than what johnmbeard had....I was referring to the outside.

as for "low bid issues" we pay more for that door than the lippert one we were getting. I think industry suppliers might be suffering from "labor shortage issues" more likely.

Rotary latch is more than double a standard slam latch, but I think performs better and has a larger inside handle to use for leverage. Door itself is better built. Now we just have to hold their feed to the fire.

Old 08-14-2018, 09:35 AM   #16
Commercial Member

Please PM me the last 8 of your VIN if you have this issue and I'll make sure it gets noted in the file.

Old 08-14-2018, 09:38 AM   #17

I want to be clear...My door is currently being replaced under warranty. Dynamax took the lead and made it happen. My coach has been in the shop for one week as of this date. I am hoping to get it back during this week.
Las Vegas, NV
johnmbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 02:01 PM   #18

Have an appointment for the second door replacement

The door on my 2017 Isata 3 arrived from the factory with delamination in the exact area but smaller. It was not obvious on the walk around as it needed to be in bright light at the proper angle to observe. Over the first month it became much larger. I had the door replaced under warranty and had to wait several weeks for the new one to arrive. The necessary decals were not shipped with the door and since they were being sent express, I just stayed behind the dealership in their parking area. The next morning when I opened my "new" door and the sun hit it - well, surprise, the replacement had arrived and been installed on my coach with the same delamination issue. As I live in my coach full time, I decided to make the trip to the factory to get several items addressed that fall (2017) and have the door replacement done there. When I arrived at Elkhart, all my other warranty items were corrected, but I was told that the replacement door had not been ordered and I would need to return for that after it arrived. Since I had doctor appointments in another state, it was agreed I would return this spring and the work would be done along with any other final warranty issues that needed to be addressed before the warranty expiration date. Well, when I emailed in March to set the appointment, I was told by the new warranty supervisor that they were fully booked through the end of May. As I had a knee replacement surgery scheduled for May 23 and another for July 18, it was agreed that I would return in September to have all the remaining warranty issues corrected.
The point of this long and tedious post it to say that obviously there has been an issue with this door or else I have just been unlucky to receive two out of the box with the exact same problem..
Phiestybritches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 02:19 PM   #19
Commercial Member

2017 Isata 3 would like have been a Lippert Door and not a Challenger door. I would have to see a picture to confirm that.

Old 08-14-2018, 04:01 PM   #20

I'm having some issues with attaching the photos I have, but the last 8 of the vin is G9647213 and I'm sure there are some in my file. Understand I am NOT complaining about service or Dynamax in this case. If you go over the file you will see there were some dealership issues, but your company has been great to work with. I LOVE my coach...
Phiestybritches is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
delamination, door