Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2017, 07:56 AM   #1

Isata 3 - Factory Spare Tire / Aluminum Wheels

I didn't even know I had a spare underneath the 3FW until I looked on the last trip. I have the factory aluminum wheel upgrade, so 4 aluminum outside wheels and two steel rears. I thought I read the studs or lugs for the aluminum wheels were different than the steel. Where will the included spare fit and do I need any different lugs to allow me to use the spare? If the spare is not usable because of the aluminum wheels, I might as well pull it and save the weight?

I plan to call roadside service if I ever have an issue and will not be changing myself.
milkman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 08:50 AM   #2
Site Team

Not sure about the lug nuts on those wheels, but just keep in mind that if you tear up a tire, roadside assistance likely isn't going to have one that fits, so removing the spare may not be a good idea.
Old 07-18-2017, 09:07 AM   #3

I have the same setup. A few months ago I had the rear duals off while replacing the inner dual valve stems with longer metal ones. I had the same question as you, so while it was all apart I dropped the spare to make sure it would work if needed. Everything fits just fine. Even the factory lug wrench fits once you remove the decorative lug nut covers.
I added a pair of rubber tipped pliers ($10 at Home Depot)to my tool kit to remove the lug nut covers without scratching them and a pipe (cheater bar) to slide over the lug wrench as it's not really long enough to get enough leverage to loosen the lug nuts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3563.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	521.9 KB
ID:	145156  
chroniekon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 09:46 AM   #4

Thanks for the verification. I will pickup a pair of those pliers for my toolkit.

Since the underlying lugs are open ended, they should tighten down regardless of the stud length. I was worried I would run out of thread in the nuts before it got tight.
Old 07-18-2017, 10:14 AM   #5

I should add one thing just to be certain I don't give wrong info here. My Aluminum wheels are Hyspec brand wheels. If you have a different brand (Alcoa or others) your mileage may vary.
Old 07-18-2017, 10:34 AM   #6

We have Alcoa wheels and have been told that the lugs must be changed if a steel wheel is substituted for the Alcoa wheel. To save weight and reduce problems, I removed the spare and dismounted the tire from the wheel. I then put the tire in a large garbage bag and remounted the tire only in the spare tire carrier.
My thinking, is if I have a flat on a steel wheel or Alcoa wheel, roadside assistance can mount my spare tire on either wheel and when home buy a new tire for spare. I would not have to put a new tire on a wheel and change out wheels on the coach.
The only flaw is if my wheel is destroyed when the flat occurs. In 30 years of running coaches this has never happened to me, so I will take the risk.
hpdrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 10:48 AM   #7

Is the brand of aluminum wheel stamped anywhere? My factory invoice just says aluminum wheels, set of 4. The stock number is 55-1204-1 if that tells anything.

Seems like if the lug nuts are open on the top, it would not matter what the stud length would be, just leave the covers off until you fix the tire?
Old 07-18-2017, 11:29 AM   #8
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpdrver View Post
We have Alcoa wheels and have been told that the lugs must be changed if a steel wheel is substituted for the Alcoa wheel. To save weight and reduce problems, I removed the spare and dismounted the tire from the wheel. I then put the tire in a large garbage bag and remounted the tire only in the spare tire carrier.
My thinking, is if I have a flat on a steel wheel or Alcoa wheel, roadside assistance can mount my spare tire on either wheel and when home buy a new tire for spare. I would not have to put a new tire on a wheel and change out wheels on the coach.
The only flaw is if my wheel is destroyed when the flat occurs. In 30 years of running coaches this has never happened to me, so I will take the risk.
That's actually a great idea.

We did not use the Alcoa wheels as our aluminum option because #1, no one would get me info on the dually set. They seemed to act like only a single rear wheel. lead time was 12 weeks. The cost was 4 times what the Hispec was. I figured if someone wanted them that bad...they'd be better off buying them direct than through us.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 12:41 PM   #9

So will the lug nuts holding the Hispec aluminum wheels work with the spare which is mounted on a steel wheel?
Old 07-18-2017, 12:56 PM   #10

There is a small label, maybe 1" wide, embossed into the wheel. Blue with stripes I think. And yes, the lug nuts work on both, the Hyspec and spare.
Old 07-18-2017, 01:02 PM   #11

I haven't compared the Hyspec and Alcoa wheels side by side, but the Hyspec wheels are really nice!
Old 07-18-2017, 01:37 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
That's actually a great idea.
If you are still using Coach-Net's Roadside Assistance this quote is from their website Here.

"24/7 Flat Tire Assistance - changing of your vehicle's flat tire using the vehicle's mounted and inflated spare tire, or if you do not have a functional tire, your vehicle will be towed to a tire repair facility."

Carrying a spare tire only just might get you towed...I'd prefer to avoid chancing that if possible.
RedLdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 01:43 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chroniekon View Post
I haven't compared the Hyspec and Alcoa wheels side by side, but the Hyspec wheels are really nice!
Their website photos did look nice... I just used Hispec's Contact Us link to see what, if anything, they offer for the Ford Transit 350HD chassis. I've found Alcoa's for it at about $1,700 for the set of four wheels, hub caps, and lug nut covers. I'm hoping there is some competition for the Alcoa's...

A set of four Alcoa's for the Sprinter 3500HD range from ~$1,300 to ~$1,800, depending on the finish selected, at the same website. See BuyTruckWheels.com for more info Here.
RedLdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 01:51 PM   #14

I should have said we currently own a Winnebago Sprinter so it came with Alcoa wheels.
hpdrver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aluminum, factory, tire, wheel