Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2019, 03:28 PM   #1

Isata 3 fw add water pump switch to bathroom

Is it possible to add a water pump switch to the bathroom of a 2017 isata 3 fw have a switch in wet bay another at the entry If so some suggestions please
yojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 04:17 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Anything is possible....I guess I would ask why? its an on-demand pump. I always just leave it on at the campsite. If it is cycling without water demand then something else is going on. Most common thing is the Anderson valve has a leak in the O-ring and water is going back into the fresh tank, the pump cycles to build pressure, more water leaks into the fresh tank (rinse repeat)

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 04:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Anything is possible....I guess I would ask why? its an on-demand pump. I always just leave it on at the campsite. If it is cycling without water demand then something else is going on. Most common thing is the Anderson valve has a leak in the O-ring and water is going back into the fresh tank, the pump cycles to build pressure, more water leaks into the fresh tank (rinse repeat)

Dw wants one in the bathroom just for convenience
No leaks as it does not cycle
I am pretty handy so if she wants it I am going try thanks for any suggestions on how to go about getting it done
Old 02-26-2019, 10:35 PM   #4

"Honey can you turn the pump on???"
Old 02-26-2019, 11:20 PM   #5

Lol ��
Old 02-27-2019, 08:15 PM   #6

The wiring is simple

Quote:
Originally Posted by yojohn View Post
No leaks as it does not cycle.
I am pretty handy so if she wants it I am going try thanks for any suggestions on how to go about getting it done.
First of all, does DW know that it's okay to turn the pump on somewhere else and just leave it on all the time? You could explain that to her and save both of you some trouble.

Are you asking about what the circuit looks like, or how to run and fish the wires and mount the switch?

There are two ways to do the circuit:
  1. Three single-pole, single-throw switches in parallel. Any one or more switches on runs the pump. All three switches off to stop it. To wire this, run two wires from the nearest switch to the new location and connect them to a new switch.
  2. Three switches wired so that flipping any one changes the motor state. This is similar to the residential wiring scheme where you have switches at the top and bottom of the stairs that control the stairs lights. This requires two single-pole, double-throw switches and one double-pole, double-throw switch.
Do your present two switches behave like case 1 or case 2?

Larry
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 08:52 PM   #7

(Case 2) I only have 2 switches currently they work like residential 3 way switch so I would like to know how to add the additional switch where to add wires current switch or at the water pump Thanks for your response
Old 02-27-2019, 09:59 PM   #8

Ok, very straightforward.

Quote:
(Case 2) I only have 2 switches currently they work like residential 3 way switch so I would like to know how to add the additional switch where to add wires current switch or at the water pump Thanks for your response
On paper it's very straightforward. In terms of the wiring, you will have to insert a third switch between the current two. Whether you can get at the wiring and add the needed wiring could be a problem.

Look at the images here for "Traveler Systems-2 locations" and "Traveler Systems-more than 2 locations.

Even though the example is for 120 VAC, it works exactly the same for 12 VDC. All the switching is done on the "hot" side. The neutral (return, ground) is unswitched.

Don't let the funny nomenclature throw you off. Here are the translations you need:
  • The three terminal switch used in the 2-location scheme: Trades people call it a 3-way switch. Switch manufacturers call it a Single-Pole, Double-Throw (SPDT) switch.
  • The four-terminal switch you have to add: Trades people call it a 4-way switch. Switch manufacturers call it a Double-Pole, Double-Throw (DPDT) switch.
A standard DPDT switch has six terminals, not four, arranged in two rows of three. You will will connect the diagonal corners;that is, top left to bottom right and top right to bottom left. Then the two wires from one of the other switches goes to the two center terminals and the two wires from the other switch goes to the two terminals at one end (either end).

There are many shapes and sizes and mountings for switches. Look for something rated at 12 volts and at least 5 amps. Don't get one with a "center off" position, also called "3 position". Don't get one that's "momentary."

This one would work fine for you if you can figure out a mounting. Maybe simply cut a 7/8" x 1-1/8" hole in the wall and snap it in.

Larry
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 03:22 PM   #9

A cheaper option, carry a 1 gal jug of water in the bathroom for flushing while you travel. We never put any water in our fresh tank as we always have full hookups. The jug is super simple concept that requires no 3 way switches
Old 02-28-2019, 03:27 PM   #10

Larry,
Thanks for your response I will let you know how it all works out I plan on installing lighted switches so you know when the pump is activated
Old 02-28-2019, 04:18 PM   #11

Quote:
No leaks as it does not cycle
I am pretty handy so if she wants it I am going try thanks for any suggestions on how to go about getting it done
Sometimes what the DW wants is not what she needs (and sometimes what she needs is not what she wants)...
Barch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 04:46 PM   #12
D W

Just for GP I ran this idea of a second water pump switch in the bathroom by the wife.

Her response was, "What's wrong with the switch we already have?"

That's why I married her!
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 08:31 AM   #13

99.9% of folks simply leave the pump power on .

If you want to leak check, use a LED tel-tale that only lights when the pump is actually running.

EZ hookup .
FFred is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bathroom, pump, roo, switch, water, water pump