Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2017, 06:50 PM   #1

Isata 3 fw slide problem

I have a '17 Isata 3. Only one trip so far and now the slide won't work. I assume there are two motors that operate this slide. It appears that only the front is moving and after a half inch or so it seems to bind up and stop moving. No motor noise or anything else at this point. I've already fixed a bunch of bugs on this coach but this has me stumped. Checked the related fuses already. It acts like no power is getting to the motor or whatever moves the rear portion of the slide. Any help is appreciated. Trying to avoid another trip for warranty work. Thanks in advance.
.......Rick
V8vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 07:35 PM   #2

Rick, are you plugged in or on battery's? Try it with the AC plugged in and see if it does the same thing
Full Time in the Summer, soon
Part Time in the Winter
Days Camped, Not Enough
CZNEDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 07:41 PM   #3

Yes, it is plugged in. It has a click coming from the vicinity (I assume) of the rear motor when the slide reaches the point where it won't move anymore. Relay maybe? Wish I had a drawing for this.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8vic View Post
Yes, it is plugged in. It has a click coming from the vicinity (I assume) of the rear motor when the slide reaches the point where it won't move anymore. Relay maybe? Wish I had a drawing for this.

We have a SunSeeker MBS 2400w, and experienced a slideroom breakdown similar to what you describe. I believe the Isata has the same Schwintek system as our SunSeeker.

Here is a link to the troubleshooting manual from the manufacturer....
http://www.lci1.com/images/support/lipsheet/0272.pdf

There are also several YouTube videos from the manufacturer that are worth watching to understand how they work.

Ours worked perfectly for about a week, and then one of the 2 motors stopped working, so the back of the room was moving and the front was not. We found the controller, which was in the large storage bay under the slide, towards the back up high. I believe the light was flashing 6 times, indicating a short. After watching the mfgr's videos to see where the motor was, we pulled off some of the rubber seal from the inside of the coach and found the motor and the wiring leading to it. The plastic plug that connects the wiring to the motor was damaged, and one of the wires was loose, probably touching one of the others, causing the fault. We were able to fix the wiring using a hot glue gun and some electrical tape.

Fixing this ourselves was our only option, as we were 900 miles away from our dealer, and the locals where we were had a 1 month wait. Our repair lasted a year and probably 75 cycles... we recently visited Forest River for a warranty/recall repair, and I mentioned my "McGuyvered" slide repair. They checked it out and replaced the motor. Told me the wiring harness and motor are one part, and the best way to fix it was just to replace it.

Hope this helps!
Old 04-25-2017, 10:12 PM   #5

Thanks for the reply. After some research I've found that this appears to be a power gear slide by Lippert. Slightly different than yours. The control box is in the same place as yours and will try to troubleshoot tomorrow. Hesitant to disturb the seals right now because it's not quite done raining here yet and don't know if the inner seals affect weather tightness. Also it's really tight to get the seal off and work where the rear motor is with the slide all the way in. Will try tomorrow. Thanks again.
.....Rick
Old 04-25-2017, 10:53 PM   #6

Manual for the slide would be nice

It would be very helpful (and I will sleep better; a stuck slide has been a concern of mine after all the 'little' issues that have popped up) if we could get a link to the manual for the slide used in the 2017 Isata 3. And it is not alway possible to get online to research when one is miles from the nearest tower. I will print up the online manual and keep it in my rv.
Is the slide included in the two year warranty?
RolandRevenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 11:41 PM   #7

Try this. I believe this is the right slide for a 2017 Isata 3. I printed almost 50 pages of various manuals.

Power GearĀ® Slim Rack Slide-Out System
Old 04-26-2017, 11:57 AM   #8

link to manual

Thanks. I will need to find the model number on the control box and then print up the appropriate manual. Very helpful.
Old 04-26-2017, 02:54 PM   #9
Commercial Member

Here are the two slide manuals that we download onto a thumb drive and ship with each set of keys for the Isata 3. Hope this helps!
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message, my inbox fills up too quickly. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only (VIN, Contact info or things you do not want the public to see).
zgipson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 08:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8vic View Post
i have a '17 isata 3. Only one trip so far and now the slide won't work. I assume there are two motors that operate this slide. It appears that only the front is moving and after a half inch or so it seems to bind up and stop moving. No motor noise or anything else at this point. I've already fixed a bunch of bugs on this coach but this has me stumped. Checked the related fuses already. It acts like no power is getting to the motor or whatever moves the rear portion of the slide. Any help is appreciated. Trying to avoid another trip for warranty work. Thanks in advance.
.......rick
just got my 2017 isata 3 back yesterday after 2 months in the shop, started with the slides not working, the codes met nothing. They found that the controllers lost their memory [ isn't nice brand new one 300 mile trip and slides don't work] i don't trust them to work when i need them. They told me it would not happen again yea like i believe that. I have printed over 100 pages with the slide information, so i guess i need to learn how to do it.
oldwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 09:57 AM   #11

Isata 5 slides--question for zgipson

Are the slides the same in the Isata 5?
If not would you post the pdfs for them?
If the slides get stuck out would you explain how to access the motors and gearing on the Isata 5 to manually bring them in?

Thanks
Old 04-29-2017, 10:32 AM   #12

Emergency slide supplies

DavidMort, I have the Isata 3. zgipson pointed out that the provided Thumbdrive has the manual for the type of slide installed in my specific unit; apparently they use two different manufacturers. Hopefully, your thumb drive also has the correct manual; assuming that they provide the thumb drives for all their motorhomes. Mine includes directions on how to retract under two circumstances: when there is NOT a loss of power and when there is no power. They also include the size of socket and wrench to have; I plan on having them in my tool box. Even if I can't manage to do it, having the tools and directions should help whoever does work on it. I printed these directions up; can't count on having a device with a usb port always with me.
Old 04-29-2017, 10:33 AM   #13
Commercial Member

Isata 3 and Isata 5 slides are the same. They are Power Gear Slimrack. Motors are accessed the same way.

http://www.lci1.com/assets/content/s...3010002588.pdf

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 10:13 PM   #14

Thanks for the information.
The USB drive that came with the RV was lost sometime in the delivery process. (Definition of lost is: I thought I left in a cup holder in RV where it would be useful and never found it again) Have been compiling pdfs of the various manuals as I need them/ think of them. I take a laptop when I travel and I plan on putting the pdfs on an Sony Ereader. I am also saving some of the threads on this forums to pdfs that have useful information.
Old 04-30-2017, 06:18 AM   #15

After reading the emergency retract info,

I am making up a ratchet , extension and socket to carry at all times.
FFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 02:13 PM   #16
Commercial Member

DavidMort you can also go here....
Dynamax Online Owners Manuals

This has the owners manual in digital format. When you go to the page for let's say, slide outs, a bunch or corresponding pdf's and videos will show up on the right hand side. We have tried to upload any manuals that are relevant. Just realize these manuals cover both Class C divisions (Forest River and Dynamax)...but at least they are always available.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 06:09 PM   #17

Slide: hope for the best, plan for the worst

Since you have to be on the outside of the Isata 3 FW to bring the slide in manually if it has a serious malfunction, going back and forth to use the wrench to slide it back in manually sounds 'challenging' especially since I don't carry a ladder. i was wondering: is it possible with enough willing camping neighbors to push the slide in, once the motors are disengaged? Hope it never happens, but wise to have a plan in place.

Tags
slide