Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2018, 07:45 AM   #1

Isata 3 Generator question?

Has anyone else with an Isata 3 noticed that the microwave/convection oven has issues when you try to use it with the generator? Our generator has to run for several minutes before the microwave oven will work and then when it does work it seems to “drag” ...
Greg-Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 07:54 AM   #2

When the generator starts, it normally takes mine a minute or two for the transfer switch to energize. I always check a 110 outlet before using anything to insure it is energized. You can also hear the switch engage. Maybe your transfer switch is slow?
Old 05-06-2018, 08:02 AM   #3

If you have a microwave when the clock (timer set, etc.) illuminates the switching has occurred. Yes, there is a delay before coming on line.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 09:06 AM   #4

I know the transfer switch takes a little time to engage, but even after the display on the microwave lights up if you try to use it the display just says ”FOOD” and nothing happens for several minutes, then it will finally work but it seems to be straining... AC seems to work fine.
Old 05-06-2018, 09:12 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg-Gabe View Post
I know the transfer switch takes a little time to engage, but even after the display on the microwave lights up if you try to use it the display just says ”FOOD” and nothing happens for several minutes, then it will finally work but it seems to be straining... AC seems to work fine.
Does this not happen when shore power is applied?
Old 05-06-2018, 09:22 AM   #6

Nope, only when using the generator.
Old 05-06-2018, 09:38 AM   #7

Does sound like it could be a voltage or frequency genny output or a combination of both especially if auto switching from shore power to genny power. Voltage you can check with a multimeter but I think freq would require a meter to monitor. If there was an issue with the freq it may not readily show up with AC operation. I'm not sure freq can be adjusted by user. Just some thoughts.
Old 05-06-2018, 10:14 AM   #8

Well I figured something wasn’t right, just a pain when you’re on the road and your test equipment is at home...
Old 05-06-2018, 12:15 PM   #9

The frequency is a function of generator rpm. If by chance you have an EMS such as the Progressive ems-hw30c hardwired down stream of the transfer switch, it will give you a read out of the generator voltage and frequency (hertz).
Old 05-06-2018, 12:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Has anyone else with an Isata 3 noticed that the microwave/convection oven has issues when you try to use it with the generator? Our generator has to run for several minutes before the microwave oven will work and then when it does work it seems to “drag” ...
Once my transfer switch engages (about a minute) my microwave and convection ovens work perfectly.
USN-RET/DOD-RET
mlmay12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 12:50 PM   #11

Yeah, I think I have a problem, sounds like it shouldn’t run the way it does...
Old 05-06-2018, 01:01 PM   #12
Retired Navy

Are you running the A/C at the same time as the microwave? I thought you are not supposed to run major systems at the same time, especially on generator.
Old 05-06-2018, 02:41 PM   #13

I sometimes get the "FOOD" message on my High Pointe Microwave when I start up the generator. Problem on mine is solved by opening and closing the microwave door. Had me baffled till I read the microwave instructions which I do only as a last resort.
Jim-LP240FS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 04:10 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim-LP240FS View Post
I sometimes get the "FOOD" message on my High Pointe Microwave when I start up the generator. Problem on mine is solved by opening and closing the microwave door. Had me baffled till I read the microwave instructions which I do only as a last resort.
Mine does that as well.
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Previous coach 2017 Isata 3RW
Also,3 Diesel pushers, 1Bvan, 2 class Cs
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 05:14 PM   #15

I have not run both the microwave and the a/c figure that with the microwave issue it was prudent not to push my luck... I will try the door trick and see how that plays out. We got to the factory this afternoon and are currently hooked up to power. I’ll give it a go in the morning after I unhook so they can work on it.
Old 05-07-2018, 01:27 AM   #16

Quote:
If the Gen seems to be running smoothly and just sags or fades with the microwave then first, check what else is running. If your frig switches over to AC automatically, and the electric on the water heater is left on you might have too much load. Oh and the biggy, hopefully your AC isn't coming on all at the same time.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 02:21 AM   #17
Old Engineer

Time delay of transfer is intentional

The transfer switch incorporates a time delay in order to prevent "short time cycle actuation" during transient excursions of the line voltage. Thus the generator output must be stable for a set time period before the transfer switch will actuate. This is done to prevent detrimental wear or damage to the transfer relay, as well as potential damage to sensitive electronics in appliances.
FleckDreher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator