Old 09-17-2019, 08:26 PM   #1

Isata 3 Help Needed

I pulled into Royal View RV Park near Caon City , Colorado at the end of a long drive. Apparently the owners are very concerned about speeding RVs and the entrance has no less than 5 speed bumps. We were going very slowly but the first concrete speed bump( although not very high, maybe 7, hit our front leveling jacks bending both front brackets backwards. The right is worse than the left but both are bent. The jacks themselves look okay. The brackets are two piece, the piece that is bent is the one that bolts to the frame. The degree of bending on the right is too extreme to be used so no leveling the RV tonight. The brackets have several mounting holes and I noticed that these were mounted in the lowest position, resulting in the least amount of clearance. I intend to raise all of the brackets one notch after this but lets deal with the crisis. This is day 3 of a two week trip. Where can I get the replacement brackets . Clearance is minimal so getting my 68 yo body under the rig and having enough elbow room for leverage to get these off will be challenging. Of course I left my electric impact wrench at home. Anyone know of some place close by? Any help deeply appreciated. I will post pics of the bump and damage when I can figure out how to upload from an iphone.

Thanks

Battchief

Battchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 08:34 PM   #2

You can always level the old fashion way with boards or the orange/yellow square blocks.

A 7 inch high speed bump seems very excessive and is likely higher than most curbs. What the he** were they thinking? I have about 4.5 inches of clearance on my toad and I would not be happy to drag over a speed bump that tall.

Mike and JoAnne
Montana Summer / Arizona Winter
2016 Prism 24G /2002 HitchHiker 38LKTG
ACME EZTowing a 2015 Chevy Sonic RS Hatchback
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 09:42 PM   #3

Very true. We bought this 2020 new a month ago. I know the front levelers will raise the front tires 6” off the ground so loosing an inch of lift to gain an inch of clearance makes sense. So disappointing. If I can just get the brackets I will repair. In the interim, I guess I will go old school on leveling.
Thanks

David
Old 09-17-2019, 09:49 PM   #4
GM

Equalizer makes the jacks and the bolt on bracket. I doubt anyone stocks them locally, but should be small enough they can overnight. Are you sure they are bent and the whole thing just didn't pivot on the frame rail?
Also, please post questions as a "New Thread" (not private message) so that others can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps.https://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 10:16 PM   #5

I agree about anyone stocking and the overnight possibility. It appears that this piece bolts to frame with one bolt. Not sure if it could pivot but will check in morning. Game is to call Equalizer first thing and send pics. I am reasonably certain that jack assembly is okay. If brackets are bent, I will see if they can overnight to nect stop and I will buy electric impact to facilitate replacement. Thanks

Battchief
Old 09-26-2019, 01:35 PM   #6

Update- Equalizer provided the part numbers for the 2 front brackets and sent overnight to Telluride. The shipping alone was $200+. Their tech thought that the impact with speed bump had bent brackets. That was not the case and the brackets sent were not the right ones for a 2018 Sprinter chassis. The difference is in the size of metal plates spot welded inside the bracket channel. I had to chisel out theplates on the right bracket to get it to fit on frame. I will take up issue with Equalizer. Rather than the brackets bending, the barrel bolt which is the only thing holding a bracket to the frame, pulled partially out of the frame hole on both sides. Actually, the frame hole is substantially larger than the barrel bolt and is bent inward from the factory. When the levelers were bent backwards, the barrel bolt pulled the frame hole outward making it an outy rather than an innnie. The result is that the new bracket and barrel bolt will not expand enough now to secure the bracket to the frame. I secured the levelers to the frame and I believe a permanent fix will require either welding or inserting a metal plate in the frame hole. Wow. I took pictures of the speed bump for insurance but my earlier estimate of height was in error, the bump is only 4. But when the front wheels went over it, the weight in front compressed springs to a point where the 6 clearance of levelers was not enough. I intend to raise all levelers one notch and add sumo springs. Well see.

Battchief
Old 09-26-2019, 01:53 PM   #7

FYI, welding may be an issue with your MB warranty. I think that’s why everything is bolt on.
Old 09-26-2019, 06:53 PM   #8

I agree. The barrel bolts pulling out a ways has increased the diameter of the frame holes so either Equalizer would have to make up brackets with larger diameter barrel bolts or the hole has to be reduced in diameter. MB does not allow drilling into the frame so thru bolting is not an option . I will check with my MB service buddy to see if placing a metal plate inside the frame hole, that has a smaller hole drilled thru it, will be an acceptable repair. At the very least it will disperse the stress over a greater area of frame.

Thanks

Battchief
Old 09-27-2019, 05:15 PM   #9

I contacted Equalizer and they directed me to one of their engineers (Mark). He has asked for photos so he can discuss the problem with the engineering staff and with Dynamax. He stated more than once that the MB frame may have to be repaired. This is truly unbelievable. I did not hit a rock, go over a curb, drive the levelers down or anything else that one would consider the type of incident that would result in this level of damage. I drove over a speed bump at less than 5 mph. I have showed the pics and discussed with an experienced sprinter tech who is now a service manager for MB. He reviewed the installation instructions from Equalizer and their recommended mounting height of 6 to 7". He believes this is too low. When the front wheels rolled over the bump, the weight on the front caused the front suspension to compress the front springs. 6 to 7" of clearance then became only 2 to 4. I had ordered and installed snap pads from Equalizer to comply with regs from some RV parks and then reduced the clearance another inch. We share our experiences and knowledge to help each other and to make the product better. Please look at the attached pics. At this point, I will contact my insurance company and file a claim as this looks like it will be an expensive and complicated repair.

Battchief
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3078.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	710.5 KB
ID:	215938   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3082.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	734.3 KB
ID:	215939   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3096.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	434.8 KB
ID:	215940   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3094.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	451.8 KB
ID:	215941  
Old 09-27-2019, 05:22 PM   #10

BTW, in the last pic the front edge of the bracket should be flush with the frame. The bracket is not bent, the 'Box bolt" ( I have been mistakenly referring to as a barrel bolt), has pulled partially through the frame and enlarging the diameter of the frame hole, allowing the bracket to pivot.

Battchief
Old 09-27-2019, 05:26 PM   #11

That is really unfortunate. That bump is not even close to the height I encounter all the time at RV parks and other public places. We have higher bumps in public streets here to slow people down.

I am not seeing the damage to the MB chassis from the pictures. Trying to visualize where the levelers attach.

You might want to add the Sumo springs front and back as they fill the void in the spring movement and keep the chassis from compressing as much as just the OEM bump stops that come on the chassis.

Wish you the best of luck getting things resolved.
Old 09-27-2019, 05:35 PM   #12

The damage is concealed by the bracket in these pics. I will have to take them off to take pics of damage to frame hole area. I ordered sumos today, front and rear. The rear levelers have scraped a couple of times going into or out of parking lot but no damage. Thanks

Battchief