Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2017, 12:21 PM   #1

Isata 3: how to improve handling and ride

When we picked up our Isata 3 to drive it home, the ride was very rough; shake,rattle and roll caused a real downer for this new owner. I later checked tire air pressure, and the tires were overinflated by almost ten pounds; the dealer admitted they should have checked them but they report that was how they came from the factory. I reduced pressure to amount listed on door jamb; 62 for all tires. We got a smoother ride. We still have bad handling when there are cross winds or tail winds in the 18 to 24 range. Other class C's pass me as I slow down in order to have better control. Dealer told me to take it to the Sprinter service center; they report that the Sprinter suspension was fine. Any suggestions on how to improve handling when there are what I consider moderate winds? As I stated, other motorhomes in same conditions operate better. I did contact a truck suspension shop; they thought I should see if Sprinter shop could suggest upgraded shocks. Hesitant to return since they saw no problem. Anyone make modifications that improved handling? Has Dynmax 'tweaked' the suspension in the past year? Thanks.
RolandRevenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 09:56 PM   #2

I installed Timbren ses they help stabilize in wind before the sway bars kick in
pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 07:39 AM   #3

There are other threads regarding suspension upgrades. Most that have "upgraded" have installed Sumo springs, front & rear & Bilstein shocks. We plan on putting rear Sumos in for starters.
ACMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 08:37 AM   #4

Thanks, Pirate; looks like a relatively low cost option. Any improvement in handling would be welcome.
ACMN: I have been trying to use the forum search option, but not having too much luck. I will now enter the names of the specific parts you mention. THANKS>
Old 04-25-2017, 09:13 AM   #5

RR where did you purchase, Ramsey or Duluth? We are also in MN, bought ours in Ramsey...
ACMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 09:35 AM   #6

ACMN, we purchased ours in Duluth last May. The metro dealer was not going to get one until the fall of last year and we really wanted to use it last summer. Price, as I recall, was almost identical. I did have the recall work on the rear lights done at the metro dealer; I hope to have future warranty work done there since the drive to Duluth burns up a lot of fuel. Had a number of issues resolved, but there are still kinks to get worked out. Wind noise continues to be an issue. Lots of noise from door area; Duluth dealer spent time trying to make door seal tighter, but they never took it for a test drive, and the result was after all their work on the door that there was not any improvement. I am thinking it might be the kitchen window, which appears to be bowed slightly and perhaps not sealing correctly. I also noted that the seal around that window has a lot of wax on it and that might be keeping the seal from expanding properly.
Today, we are expecting heavy rain, and I will go to the storage site and sit in it looking for the source of a leak. I found water on the kitchen counter last week. It is not a plumbing leak since I have yet to de-winterize it. Had a leak in same general area last year. Buy the way, Anoka County has a lovely campground with water hook ups and very nice sites; Rice Creek Chain of lakes park.
Old 04-25-2017, 01:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandRevenger View Post
When we picked up our Isata 3 to drive it home, the ride was very rough; shake,rattle and roll caused a real downer for this new owner. I later checked tire air pressure, and the tires were overinflated by almost ten pounds; the dealer admitted they should have checked them but they report that was how they came from the factory. I reduced pressure to amount listed on door jamb; 62 for all tires. We got a smoother ride. We still have bad handling when there are cross winds or tail winds in the 18 to 24 range. Other class C's pass me as I slow down in order to have better control. Dealer told me to take it to the Sprinter service center; they report that the Sprinter suspension was fine. Any suggestions on how to improve handling when there are what I consider moderate winds? As I stated, other motorhomes in same conditions operate better. I did contact a truck suspension shop; they thought I should see if Sprinter shop could suggest upgraded shocks. Hesitant to return since they saw no problem. Anyone make modifications that improved handling? Has Dynmax 'tweaked' the suspension in the past year? Thanks.
call me sometime i prefer to talk and not type. i have a isata 3 [2017] have helped mine,, one more item needed. you are caught between m/b service and Dynamax, neither will help they blame each other. first contact me at oldwrench741@gmail.com.
oldwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 02:04 PM   #8

Isata 3 suspension improvement

Oldwrench, I shot an email to you.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:18 PM   #9

Oldwrench and RolandRevenger, we are having the same issue with the wind and driving. We have asked and been told everything is ok. This is our first motorhome so we were not sure if this amount of sway was normal or not. Is there something we can do to help with this?

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Doris

Doris & Bob
2017 Isata 3
Dori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 10:43 PM   #10

Ride and Handling

Dori, I am also a first time motorhome owner. I was also wondering if it was just me or if the Isata 3 ride was not as good as other units. From what I have read on the forum, we are not alone in wanting better handing. No Class C is going to ride as nicely as a sedan. BUT as I indicated earlier, I have been passed by other Class C's on the freeway when it is windy, and I have had to slow down in order to keep control of the motorhome. Perhaps they have all had upgrades. Or they left the factory in better shape than my unit did. When I tell the dealer or the Sprinter staff of my concerns, I am told 'that is how they ride'. I am planning a trip to Rocky Mountain National Park this summer; I am more concerned about driving across the wide open stretches of interstate in Nebraska . I am considering spending more money to improve the ride; I love our Isata 3 once we are set up at the campsite. I will update this process on the forum. I hope to discuss this with Oldwrench ; my cell phone misbehaved today and I missed his call.
Old 04-26-2017, 12:24 PM   #11
Commercial Member

Make sure you have the Helwig sway bar...that is already an upgraded suspension that we do as standard. That was and aftermarket product we saw on about 90% of the Sprinters so we made it standard on the 3 series. That should cut a lot of the sway...but I also don't know how many RV's you have driven so I don't know what your expectations are. I was driving my Jeep today in high winds and it wanted to go all over the road.

If you know where to look for the rear sway bar...it should contour around the rear differential. The standard Mercedes bar is just black steel. The Helwig bar is really dark metallic gray and looks sort of like a rhino liner texture...embossed.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Helwig Sway Bar Flyer.pdf (4.33 MB, 148 views)

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 01:14 PM   #12

Looking for a bar

I know we have a sticker telling us that a Hellwig bar has been added, but I will double check. Again, thanks for the prompt response. This is our first motorhome. But seeing other Class C's pass us, and noting that they seem more stable when there is wind, I have to assume that something is different. And when it is parked with the slide in, I notice that there is a lot of bounce when I move around. I know my car's shocks are shot if I can easily make the car rock by just pushing down on a fender. I will get back to the forum after I visit a suspension shop. One shop that I contacted via email had concerns that since the Sprinter has electronic stability control, that might be tied into the shocks and they would be hesitant to swap them out for Bilstiens.
Old 04-26-2017, 01:36 PM   #13
Commercial Member

Also remember that all Class C's are not the same.

E450 Class C which is the most common is wider, lower center of gravity and a V-10 and can ride pretty rough at 14,500lbs GVWR. The Sprinter suspension is much softer, for a more cushioned ride, 11,000 GVWR.

Some people I know have zero issue with the Ford ride from the start and others have spent a few thousand to dial the ride in to their specific taste.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 07:45 PM   #14

Bclemens, I checked to see if our Isata 3 had the Hellwig sway bar and it looks like we do. I was hoping we didn't, and that having it added would address my concerns. I am thinking of adding SteerSafe; I need to contact Sprinter folks to see if that voids entire warranty or just the area where it is installed. I don't feel I can take one hand off the wheel for any longer than a few seconds; it takes both hands to insure it stays in the lane when there are what I consider low to moderate wind speeds. Hard to imagine that is acceptable. Asked the local Sprinter service shop to check the alignment last summer; they drove it and said it was fine. Alignment was not checked. Of course, there wasn't a whisper of a breeze. I may pay for an alignment assessment myself. I will post what I end up doing and how it affects handling.
Old 04-29-2017, 06:10 AM   #15

"I may pay for analignment assessment myself."

I would guess that is 90% of your problem.

Our Itasca 3 dies sway more than our past bus conversions , but it is higher , and 2/3 lighter.

Crosswinds coming thru trees has little effect on the vehicles heading but will rock it a bit.

No speed reductions required .
FFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 08:22 PM   #16

Did you ever put on the Sumo springs? Did they help? Really hate the wind wind roll! Thanks, Larry
tvlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 09:55 AM   #17

Considering Steer Safe.

TVLarry, I have not made any modifications yet. Another forum member is going to try adding Steer Safe to his Isata 3. I was waiting to hear what he thinks of it before I spend any money on mods. If it makes it easier to keep it going straight when cruising on windy days (and i am talking about moderate winds) I will be a happy camper. I also need to have an alignment inspection completed before I do anything else, and I just found a shop to do it.
Old 06-21-2017, 06:03 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandRevenger View Post
TVLarry, I have not made any modifications yet. Another forum member is going to try adding Steer Safe to his Isata 3. I was waiting to hear what he thinks of it before I spend any money on mods. If it makes it easier to keep it going straight when cruising on windy days (and i am talking about moderate winds) I will be a happy camper. I also need to have an alignment inspection completed before I do anything else, and I just found a shop to do it.

I went ahead and added the Sumo Springs and Brillstein shocks and then had it aligned, night and day difference! It's a real pleasure to drive now! Cost me $2k for parts and labor but well worth it!
tvlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 08:09 PM   #19

Alignment was completed and I feel it made a difference; recently had a four hour trip one way and I was not exhausted! Getting the rear Sumos (the basic, less costly one) after July 4th, just in time for our three week trip from MN to Colorado. I am hoping...wishing.... that will improve it enough without spending more.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:29 AM   #20

RR, I know this is a bit of an apples to oranges comparison, but I test drove a Navion 24G last month and was surprised how well the Sprinter handled. It was a windy day (gusts over 15 mph) and I could just barely feel them. Also, I had an 18-wheeler pass, & again, barely noticed it. This Sprinter was stock and had the over-cab bed.

The Isata 3 with the Hellwig sway bar should handle well, adding rear Sumos, it should handle down-right nice. I suspect that the alignment will be a big part of your fix. Also, I assume you checked the tire pressure all around.

Let us know how it handles.

Dave
caswelld is offline   Reply With Quote