Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2018, 09:37 PM   #1

isata 3 mercedes diesel winter storage

What do you seasoned Mercedes diesel owners do about winter storage. My old Winnebago V10, you just filled up, added some stabilizer, and I would start it up once a month and idle it for 30 minutes with the AC on high (per the manuel). This diesel is a different animal. Mercedes says no fuel additive, do not idle for long periods. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

2014 Jeep JK Rubicon
TINSEAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 02:06 PM   #2

I don't have a Mercedes. But both my vw and cummins I treat the same. Add Power Service to the fuel to minimize the chance of gelling. I don't run either at idle for more than a few minutes. Take them out and exercise the engine to full operating temp, better for them anyway for a 1 to 2 hour drive. Take it easy for the first 15 or so minutes, in town, or take it easy on the highway till the engine gets a bit of heat.

Keep the tanks above 3/4 to decrease the chance for condensation build up.

Idling diesels isn't good. The won't build much heat just at idle, you can but takes longer. Also with the dpf, not the def, it will build more soot and thus require earlier regens with long idle periods.

None of our classic cars get idled either. All get at least 1 hour of drive time per month during the winter.

This also helps the tranny, tires. Etc get some movement and get things circulated.
Vansteenburg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, mercedes, storage, winter