Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2017, 06:50 PM   #1

Isata 3 Owners

My wife and I are thinking seriously of giving up on the travel trailer life and opting to move into a Class C. We find the Isata 3 with the full slide (24fw) fits our needs best. My question of you Isata 3 owners are options you wish you had ordered and which do you find you do not need. Thanks for all your input.
mdth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 04:33 PM   #2

We just picked up our new Isata 3 yesterday so can't give you an in depth review on your question. I did however ask a very similar question here on the Forums back in November and if you look back to my previous post you can find several answers from others here on the forum. I will say that the full body paint option is amazing. We also have the four point auto leveling and can see already that was a great decision. We left off GPS as we use a Garmin and a phone app. Also, left off solar as most of our camping is in shaded campgrounds with hookups and we will store the MH indoors.
chroniekon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 05:50 PM   #3

Thanks for the information. I did find your old post and it had some good advice. What full body paint color did you decide on? Enjoy you new Isata, and safe travels.

Mike
Old 03-08-2017, 06:08 PM   #4

We chose the Granite. There is a great video on the Dynamax Facebook page showing how they do their paint jobs.
chroniekon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 06:58 PM   #5
Pete&Joni

Isata 3 FWM vs FR MBS 2401W

Hi, I to am seriously considering the Isata 3 to replace my pop up camper. I have been reviewing the Isata 3 in detail and have had communication with bclemens - he is an excellent representative at Dynamax.

Sounds like the 4 point leveling jacks are a great feature however I understand they add about 300 pounds to the MH. Sounds like there is only about 1000 lbs of weight available (passengers and cargo) before hitting this units max capacity. Subtracting another 300 lbs could be limiting. The levelers price is the other consideration. I believe the Isata 3 does have two mechanical jacks mounted near the rear as standard equipment.

Has anyone found literature with actual photo showing the "Trifold Sofa" in place of the dinette? Does anyone have this option? I would be pleased to hear from you.

Pjeoutwest
Pjeoutwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 03:57 PM   #6
jkoenig24

ANY "standard" C-Class motorhome is NOT going to have a lot of extra capacity. It's VERY easy to exceed one or more of the ratings on standard C-Class rigs. That's a big reason I went with a Super-C Class diesel puller (a 2015 Dynamax DX3-37RB). In addition to LOTS more room, the safety margins are incredible. You're wise to realize the limitations that come with a standard C-Class rig. If you do buy a standard, weigh everything you're going to add. You'll need to be ruthless in what you choose to bring along.
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 07:35 AM   #7

" weigh everything you're going to add. You'll need to be ruthless in what you choose to bring along."

OR when fueling at a truck stop to get the freshest fuel ,

IF there is a CAT scale , simply pay the minor amount under $10 an get weighed..

and receive a printed slip with front axle weight, rear axle weight and trailer weight.

Pull on the scale before fueling , there is a speaker sytem, and when you pay for the fuel they will add the weigh charge onto your bill.

Almost no time or effort.

Useful for trailer owners too.

The best weight system is at FMCA events where for a higher fee each wheel is weighed. Not overloading side to side is important too.
FFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 08:20 AM   #8
Having Fun

Send a message via Skype™ to NewRVrsFlorida5659
we bought one with just that option, how and where did you find out about it?
NewRVrsFlorida5659 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 08:25 AM   #9
Having Fun

Send a message via Skype™ to NewRVrsFlorida5659
TriFold option

WE had an Isata3 made with TriFold Couch instead of dinnette. Best choice we could have made. Here are a couple of picks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Isata LR.jpg
Views:	876
Size:	260.8 KB
ID:	131514   Click image for larger version

Name:	Isata LR BR.jpg
Views:	565
Size:	196.9 KB
ID:	131515  
NewRVrsFlorida5659 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 08:33 AM   #10

If you choose carefully, you may be able to put some of your cargo in a towable vehicle which you will likely need if you decide to not travel every day. Unpacking and repacking to move often means not settling down by doing things like setting out the coffee pot and leaving it on the counter.

You can also tow a small cargo trailer. In fact, when one class A mfg was told their front axle was easily over weighted, they responded by saying that the specific unit was targeted/designed for buyers who tow a cargo trailer...however, of course, this was not stated in the marketing materials.

Or, be a minimalist and take only what is absolutely necessary and buy more on the road.

Or, be a weight denier and just load it up and ignore the weight ratings.

Poor cargo carrying capacity is a common problem of the C class, in general. You will not find cargo carrying capacity touted in the marketing materials of such units. In fact, they are pretty much maxed out just by sitting in them as you drive off the dealer lot.

A good example of a dealer that is proud of their weight carry capacity is Newmar. You will find out what their stock units offer when you look at their specifications. No BS about we can't tell you because we don't know how you will option it...probably because it is so bad un-optioned that they don't want you to know where you start from on a stock, un-optioned model....and weights can be provided for each option if they wanted to.

I remember one member going into shock when he discovered what his actual capacity was after he took a trip in his new unit...probably well over weight. I think that was in a XX5. The dealer representations were a tiny bit over stated (being sarcastic here).

Be careful with the added options because they reduce the capacity quickly.

Consider a personal weight loss program if you think that would be helpful, take out the tv, take out some furniture and put in air filled furniture or a throw rug, take out the refrigerator and replace with a portable ice box and buy ice at Walmart on the road. What is most important, really, is the outside paint scheme.

Note: the above comments are not in regard to any specific mfg, but in general regarding the entry level C class units.

Note: the outside paint scheme is important because, at least where I live, most units of varying mfgs stayed parked at the owners homes, apparently book docked for the most part.
Philos3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 09:27 AM   #11

Thank you everyone for your great input, we will consider all of your advice while deciding what we think will work best for our needs. Safe travels.
Mike
Old 03-10-2017, 09:53 AM   #12

Brian (bclemens),

What is the exterior storage volume on the 24FW versus the 24RW?

Thanks!
Remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 12:40 PM   #13
Commercial Member

The RW is like 65, the FW is about 40...methinks. I'll have to verify that when I get back in the office.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 01:31 PM   #14

Great. Thanks Brian!
Remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 02:15 PM   #15

We have a 2017 Isata 3 24FW. With four leveling jacks. The standard dinette. Pebble interior with the booster cushions to make the cab seats more useable when they're swung 180 degrees into the interior of the living space. Solar panels (two 100W with 30 amp controller). Full body Diamond Shield paint (Khaki). Aluminum wheels (whoopty dooh-dah). And two TV antennas (over-the-air and the Wineguard In-Motion T4) which aren't likely to get much use since we're readers, not viewers. The TomTom GPS is unimpressive and not worthwhile when add-on units are less expensive, have more options for physical placement and are more easily switched-out/upgraded. It looks like Forest River/Dynamax has switched to Rand McNally anyway. [A long haul truck driver who was watching us dither about an aftermarket GPS unit told us to avoid RM like the plague!] About to head out for our first long road trip.

We bought our Isata from dealer stock, not as an order. Here's an odd thing about the Isata 3 24FW. I have never seen an image or read anything in the literature about setting up the dinette as a sleeping space--ideal for a small child, maybe two. In fact, the service manager where we purchased our unit didn't even know it was possible. But the table top comes off its pedestal, slides into a little ledge on each of the banquette seats, and then matching cushions (stored under the queen bed foot) complete the transition to nap/sleep space. Perfect for "little people".

As for the weight limits, we still have to finish loading and weighing ours. Can't comment in any meaningful way.

Right now, we're struggling with the @#%! water filter. On our Isata, it's tucked away underneath the ledge of the bathroom countertop--top inaccessible and no way to put a container underneath to catch water. There are no identifying marks on it, no literature, not NUTHIN! If you order a 3, I would forgo the water filter though it's probably not listed as an option. Maybe you could ask for a bypass and not use the fool thing at all, especially if it's sited and documented ( ) as ours is! At the beginning of the week I submitted a request on the Dynamax website for information/clarification, but so far, in keeping with the rest of our water filter experience......nothing.

Then there are the LED lights. They're bright and they're cold in tone (though they're very energy efficient according to my mechanical engineer husband). Not always where you need them either! So we've wound up adding battery operated LED warm light bars in places like over the bank of control switches in the stairwell (badly lit, oddly prioritized, and poorly marked with low contrast lettering, if they're marked at all) and inside the cupboard under the sink where our dishes are stored. We've also started adding photographer gels to the factory-installed LED's to get warmer tone and less glare.

Annnnd....... one more thing. The lower of the two panty cupboards is pretty much useless as it sits. Too narrow to use its height well. DH added a Rev-a-Shelf to make the space more useable. Not sure why the top cupboard has factory installed drawers but not the lower one.
VeniVidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 07:46 PM   #16

We have a 2017 Isata 3 and bought it at MH2GO last August while we were at the GOSHEN Rally. Since August we have put almost 6500 miles on it. It's a perfect fit for the two of us and we use it for weekend trips camping, visiting relatives, and day trips. In November we take it to Florida and keep it there for the winter, using it as much as we can and then we drive it back up to Mass. the layout is perfect for us. We have the dinette since we wanted an RV that sleeps two.
We flat tow a 2004 wrangler and took it out for it's first tow trip last month. No issues towing. The MB suspension makes for a very comfortable ride and we can go for about 10 hours a day without feeling beat up.
Storage: I use the rear driver side for power cord, hose, flagpole and a small grill table. The front driver side compartment holds the Blue Def tank and a storage container with the stinky slinky and related parts. The large compartment on the drivers side holds two chairs, patio rug and a storage container with misc. stuff. The compartment on the slide holds a portable O-grill, grill tools and gas tanks. The passenger side storage just holds a couple of storage containers with tools and misc stuff.

Since we have the dinette, there is some additional storage under the seats, but we can always throw stuff in the jeep too.

The bathroom is roomy for a small RV. It's a little tight making the bed, but so are most campers. The kitchen storage is OK, but you have to be creative and keep things organized.

The full body paint is awesome and we get a lot of compliments on it. We have the standard rear jacks and they are fine in keeping the rig stable. Solar is awesome. We can go 3, 4 or more days without running the generator when boondocking.

Ours was stock. I don't mind the nav system but it could be a little better. The power vent fans are awesome especially if you don't want to run the AC all day or just cool down the inside at night. Lighting is very good.

Hot water, the tankless works great for us. Wake up, turn it on, get in the shower and immediate hot water. Excellent pressure from the shower head too.

This feature packed class C is one of the nicest we have owned, you just have to spend some time really organizing and choosing what you bring with you. We usually re-organize and have it packed for short trips on a regular basis and then when we add stuff for a longer trip, we can find space for it.

Towing the jeep went well. The MB has plenty of torque and I was surprised with the smooth towing. You actually get a little less pushing from the wind when your flat towing or at least it felt like it.

Love the USB ports everywhere and the outside TV mount. Instead of traveling with a couple of liquor bottles, we buy nips and keep them in the cabinet about the driver compartment.

That's my input, enjoy!
Full Time in the Summer, soon
Part Time in the Winter
Days Camped, Not Enough
CZNEDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 08:22 PM   #17

I am sold, we ordered our 2018 yesterday and hope to be enjoying it by June.
We went with the 24fw in the Granite and also with the four corner levelers.
Thank you everyone for all your help and hope to see you down the road. This is our first class c after having gone through three airstreams and a SOB.
We are really excited to what we consider a move up.

Mike
Old 03-10-2017, 08:35 PM   #18

Great set of recent posts on actual experiences. Great that some are using the tow vehicle for extra carrying capacity. Appreciate the initial upgrades, problems, and loading details.

Will look forward to reading weights when loaded compared to GVWR. Would be nice to have an option to B+ units by Pleasure Way and Leisure Way at a competitive price.

Working on my sketching and painting skills until I make my purchase.

I hope there is a factory tour video available on youtube.
Philos3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 09:23 PM   #19

Just thought of one more thing. There is an app for the Jensen radio
Full Time in the Summer, soon
Part Time in the Winter
Days Camped, Not Enough
CZNEDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 11:43 PM   #20
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeniVidi View Post
Right now, we're struggling with the @#%! water filter. On our Isata, it's tucked away underneath the ledge of the bathroom countertop--top inaccessible and no way to put a container underneath to catch water. There are no identifying marks on it, no literature, not NUTHIN! If you order a 3, I would forgo the water filter though it's probably not listed as an option. Maybe you could ask for a bypass and not use the fool thing at all, especially if it's sited and documented ( ) as ours is! At the beginning of the week I submitted a request on the Dynamax website for information/clarification, but so far, in keeping with the rest of our water filter experience......nothing.

Annnnd....... one more thing. The lower of the two panty cupboards is pretty much useless as it sits. Too narrow to use its height well. DH added a Rev-a-Shelf to make the space more useable. Not sure why the top cupboard has factory installed drawers but not the lower one.
1. Water filter is standard. I guess I would ask what information you need? There should be a brand new filter in the fridge with a part number or shipped loose somewhere, but you don't have to install it. Just let the water pass right through the empty canister.
2. Lower pantry we left for large bulky items (dog food bags, bulk food)...but no reason drawers could not be installed.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote