Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2019, 06:38 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkman55 View Post
It’s on a yellow sticker on the driver door frame. Here is mine. You add the water weight back if you don’t plan to haul fresh water. Mine comes out to 943 lbs.
True, but this is after the purchase. How about on the brochure when you're shopping. I realize it would be an estimate, but helpful information for the consumer.
shabang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 06:39 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkman55 View Post
Options are

Solar
Satellite
Aluminum wheels

I didn’t get diesel gen or levelers ( or sure they were available in 2017) due to weight.

943 lbs CCC works out good for us as we are just normally two traveling.
We always stay at full hookups in nice, generally paved sites in parks where leveling is rarely needed.

Options depend on your needs.
I would likely forgo the diesel generator as well, but I like the idea of automatic levelers. You don't think they're needed? Is it not a concern with the slides?
Old 09-22-2019, 08:27 AM   #63

The levelers don’t add any support for the slides, you just want the RV to be reasonably level when you extend the slide.

If you plan to camp frequently in places that require a good deal of leveling, then they might be a good investment. I just don’t do much outside of improved RV parks where at most I might add a 1” pad under a wheel to get it right.

For me I would rather have the extra CCC.
milkman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 11:58 AM   #64

I'm just the opposite. I'd give up CCC to have the 4 point levelers. Besides having the rig level, it is also rock solid.
Old 09-22-2019, 02:10 PM   #65

Your going to have to make up your own mind on this subject. Everyone has there own needs and opinions. I boondock a lot so I like having the diesel generator and save my propane for cooking, hot water, and heat. As far as levelers are concerned I didn’t want them for this coach for a,couple of reasons. One I’ve had trouble with them on other coaches in the past such as leaking and getting stuck in the down position. Two, this coach is so short its fairly easy to get it level just by moving around the campsite. I camp a lot at state parks and forest service campgrounds and rarely do I have to use my LEGO’s. So, that said you should decide what you priorities are and go that direction. There is no wrong choice just the right choice for you.
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Previous coach 2017 Isata 3RW
Also,3 Diesel pushers, 1Bvan, 2 class Cs
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 06:40 AM   #66

"Two, this coach is so short its fairly easy to get it level just by moving around the campsite."

Our technique for a converted coach or now out Isata 3 is very simple.

I use a really good bubble level when the fridge is empty and drive in a parking lot till the bubble is "perfect" in the fridge.

I then remove the bubble and install it level where the driver can easily see it.

Most campsites require a small bit of hunting to get the drivers bubble level, but its far less work than any other system, low cost too.
FFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 06:49 AM   #67

FFred, the recliner is the RecPro Charles 67" Double RV Wall Hugger Recliner Sofa with Console for $892.95 after 6% promotional discount. Here is their website: https://www.recpro.com/.

In my Isata3FW, the cushions are Velcroed to the wall using small screws on both the cushions and the wall. After removal, I filled the holes with a matching furniture stick. You can't see them unless you know what to look for. In any case, the recliner hides them. No need to recover anything. There were also holes in the floor where the cabinet and table-mount were attached. They're also covered by the recliner.

I selected the RecPro on the basis of durable RV-suitable construction, the fact that at 67" wide, it fit my slide opening, and that the three components fit through the door. See website installation video."

In measuring my slide out there is 75 1/52 inches of width.

Did you chose the 67 inch seating , not available larger, for a reason?

End tables ? Perhaps?
FFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 07:28 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabang View Post
I would likely forgo the diesel generator as well, but I like the idea of automatic levelers. You don't think they're needed? Is it not a concern with the slides?
If I recall correctly, and I may not, on some manufacturer’s MBS coaches, the automatic levelers and the diesel generator can not be had together. If you choose one option, you can’t order the other one. I don’t know if it’s a weight or a space problem. If it’s a weight problem, then they should be building on the 4500 chassis, in my opinion, and end all this nonsense about low CCC.
Old 10-23-2019, 12:09 PM   #69

This table was shared showing the weight of various options as it affects CCC.

The aluminum wheels are -30 lbs. Is that per wheel? If it's for a set of four, that's not a lot.

And some are of the opinion elsewhere that effect on CCC is not much as it is not supported by the axle. It is unsprung, and further complicated because it is rotating. Confusing.

And if the goal is really to save weight and not for show, why not six?

And, if you add a spare tire?

I'm confusing myself and working into a dither.
Old 10-23-2019, 01:18 PM   #70

I feel your pain. I went through the same anguish a year and half ago. I almost went for the Ford 450 rather than the Sprinter over this very issue. I'm glad I didn't.

The aluminum wheels are better wheels and look a lot better. The weight savings of 30 lbs listed on your form is different than what I was quoted in the past (70 lbs total) so I am not really sure how much you save but whatever it is, it does count towards increasing your CCC slightly (5%). I recommend them.

I went with the levelers, sofa bed, no cab over, & LP generator. My coach came with a steel spare. I have installed TPMS with metal valves, sumo springs, and removed the rear TV. MY CCC came in at 870 lbs. This has been more than adequate for my wife and me. I am sure at times we have been a bit over, but I have had no issues with the handling of the coach even when "fully" loaded with two e-bikes on the back. I also occasionally tow a Honda CRV without any issues.
Hope this helps.
Barch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 02:09 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barch View Post
I feel your pain. I went through the same anguish a year and half ago. I almost went for the Ford 450 rather than the Sprinter over this very issue. I'm glad I didn't.

The aluminum wheels are better wheels and look a lot better. The weight savings of 30 lbs listed on your form is different than what I was quoted in the past (70 lbs total) so I am not really sure how much you save but whatever it is, it does count towards increasing your CCC slightly (5%). I recommend them.

I went with the levelers, sofa bed, no cab over, & LP generator. My coach came with a steel spare. I have installed TPMS with metal valves, sumo springs, and removed the rear TV. MY CCC came in at 870 lbs. This has been more than adequate for my wife and me. I am sure at times we have been a bit over, but I have had no issues with the handling of the coach even when "fully" loaded with two e-bikes on the back. I also occasionally tow a Honda CRV without any issues.
Hope this helps.
You were quoted 70 lbs, total? Like for all four wheels?

Your rig is almost exactly what I'd do. 870 is ok, but I hate losing the bunk.
Old 10-23-2019, 02:23 PM   #72
Commercial Member

Quote:
True, but this is after the purchase. How about on the brochure when you're shopping. I realize it would be an estimate, but helpful information for the consumer.
After you purchase? You can just open the door "before" purchasing to see the weight. Or, I think ANY dealer that is interested in your business will send you a picture of that sticker.

My concern in posting UVW is what do you choose? With every option? with NO options? Then does someone read and see that it is without options? Average of all the options taken and then what if you are more?

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 02:25 PM   #73
Commercial Member

Quote:

FYI, I make the price sheets and it does say (-30 lbs) BUT, in my weight calculations I show (-72) lbs. So I am not sure where the disconnect is... I'll have to check this out again.

Old 10-23-2019, 02:33 PM   #74

Thanks for "weighing" in Brian. I don't want to give out misinformation. Here is another reference:

<https://www.fleetequipmentmag.com/alcoa-offers-new-m-series-for-sprinter-3500/>

This would indicate a 48 lb weight savings for 4 Alcoa rims in their comparison.
Old 10-23-2019, 02:39 PM   #75

Quote:

The trifold sofa turns into a queen size bed that is actually slightly larger than the bedroom bed and is reasonably comfortable. If you go with the trifold, then the loss of the overhead bunk is mitigated and you get more storage and increased CCC. We carry a 1" memory foam pad which is stored under the trifold to use with the bed. Even the DW likes the bed with the memory foam.
Also, I was told the trifold sofa saved weight over the dinette, but again, the chart above states otherwise.
Old 10-23-2019, 02:40 PM   #76
Commercial Member

Yes....but the steel wheels also get stainless steel wheel liners. Those add weight to, compared to the hub covers on the Alcoa.

I went ahead and asked my guys to weigh one WITH the steel wheels. Then once it comes back from the tire shop, weight it again with aluminum...because the aluminum also get metal valve stems.

PS. As for doing 6 wheels. We just didn't want the cost of a wheel you can't see. However, I may look at that again to see if the weight savings justifies it.

Old 10-23-2019, 03:03 PM   #77

I like the aluminum wheels because they are not the simulators. There are a number of threads complaining about how they squeak, rattle and/or fall off.
Old 10-23-2019, 04:10 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
After you purchase? You can just open the door "before" purchasing to see the weight. Or, I think ANY dealer that is interested in your business will send you a picture of that sticker.

My concern in posting UVW is what do you choose? With every option? with NO options? Then does someone read and see that it is without options? Average of all the options taken and then what if you are more?
It is indeed difficult to put things in writing that will not be misinterpreted, so I understand that concern. People will start complaining about things never promised because they did not take the time to read carefully.

None-the-less, what would be most helpful in comparative shopping would be to list the CCC of the base model with no options, and the table of weights added by each. I have that information now, thank you very much, but it took a good bit of digging to find it. I think it should be on the brochure.

No manufacturer is upfront with this. They all show GVWR, but that's the chassis. Who knows what's left over after it's built upon.

And yes, I did email a couple dealers who sent me pictures. My estimate using your table was very close to what they provided! I now feel I can make informed decisions, just got hung up with the wheel thing.
Old 10-23-2019, 04:12 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Yes....but the steel wheels also get stainless steel wheel liners. Those add weight to, compared to the hub covers on the Alcoa.

I went ahead and asked my guys to weigh one WITH the steel wheels. Then once it comes back from the tire shop, weight it again with aluminum...because the aluminum also get metal valve stems.

PS. As for doing 6 wheels. We just didn't want the cost of a wheel you can't see. However, I may look at that again to see if the weight savings justifies it.
Thanks for taking the time to do that. Will be an interesting study.
Old 10-23-2019, 04:15 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barch View Post
The trifold sofa turns into a queen size bed that is actually slightly larger than the bedroom bed and is reasonably comfortable. If you go with the trifold, then the loss of the overhead bunk is mitigated and you get more storage and increased CCC. We carry a 1" memory foam pad which is stored under the trifold to use with the bed. Even the DW likes the bed with the memory foam.
Also, I was told the trifold sofa saved weight over the dinette, but again, the chart above states otherwise.
We do want a second sleeping area for grandkids. My preference is theater seating for me and kids in the bunk. But if I have to save weight I'll do the sofa and no bunk.