Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2019, 07:28 PM   #1

Isata 3 Pre-Buy Jitters

As I approach retirement, still a bit off, I am considering my first RV purchase. Went to a show and saw the Isata 3 and I really like the model. The FW floorplan seems perfect for my wife and I to bum around in. I've done a lot of research on-line (so many conflicting opinions!) and have some concerns. I'm hoping to find out from actual owners if my concerns are justified or just jitters.

1. Cargo Carrying Capacity. Is it enough. Roughly 1000 lbs, before options which can eat into that significantly. Depending what you get, you may only have a few hundred pounds for people and stuff. Is it sufficient? This CCC issue is not limited to Dynamax, but all RV's built on the MB Sprinter, which brings me to my next point.

2. MB Sprinter vs Ford Chassis. Most people online seem to say that the MB Sprinter is more reliable, has better mileage, and gives a smoother ride. It is more expensive, however, and the gas savings never pay that back. And when it does fail it is more expensive to fix and fewer places can do the work and get the parts. And of course, Ford models have a much high CCC.

3. Build quality. This forum, and others, have a few detractors with horrific stories to tell. But this seems to be true of most brands I've checked out. Many people think it is endemic to the class, not specific to Dynamax. Less frequently, however, do you hear from the satisfied customers who have had few problems. I wish I could get actual numbers, like complaints per units sold or miles driven, but that's hard to come by. So, would most of you make the same purchase? Have you had many problems?

4. Prolonged use. I saw somewhere a disclaimer it was not for extended use. I believe this was due to condensation and mold and the warranty might be voided. Well what does that mean? I don't plan on making it my primary residence, but I do envision trips of several months. How long can you occupy it continuously? How do you keep condensation from building up? Can you add a dehumidifier and push the CCC further?

I'm sure I'll think of more questions.
shabang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 08:07 PM   #2
Kanadian Kamper

Excellent posting and detailed questions of concern.

Within Forest River, if you accept the good/better/best definition....

There is Sunseeker/Forester/Isata 3, and they all offer the FW floorplans. They’re all based on the same Mercedes platform, so performance issues during use should be the same. The real justification for pricing differences between the three is up to the individual.

I’ll be watching this thread.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 08:15 PM   #3

I can’t say I have the answers, but you are asking the right questions. Tagged for interest.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:18 PM   #4

We have a 2017 Isata 3 24FW purchased new in May 2017. We have been on about six long trips staying over 100 nights in the past 2 yrs, 4 mos driving 15,000 miles.

Never had a warranty claim on the Sprinter or the Isata. I just had a couple of USB plugs go bad after the warranty expires and I replaced them myself.

Definitely issues that some have encountered, just like most complex machines, but we think going through an extensive inspection when you pick up your RV is the secret to success. We spent two days going through our Isata 3 at the dealer and they fixed several small issues before we left the dealer.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:59 PM   #5

I am not an ISATA3 owner, so I’m probably not qualified to answer your questions. However, I was in your place earlier this year. While we are seasoned class C campers, it was time to replace an old unit. We looked at all the higher end small class Cs, like Dynamax, Nexus, Phoenix Cruiser, Winnebago, Tiffin. We were convinced the ISATA3 was the way to go. We wanted to love the Mercedes chassis. We visited the Dynamax factory, which gave us helpful information.

We had enough RV experience to know what we really want/need/use, and what we don’t want/need/use. Give me five seconds looking at a floor plan, and I could tell what’s wrong and what’s right about it, for us. Anyway, back to the higher end brands and the Dynamax, the harder we looked, the more we saw that what defined “luxury” in those brands was unimportant or contradictory to our needs. Example: a Tiffin Wayfarer is a supposedly high end product. It has no spare tire, nor a place to mount one. We don’t care how nice the flooring or the cabinets are, if there’s no spare tire, then it’s unacceptable. Another example: the 27 foot ISATA4 has, I believe, 7 drawers total in the interior cabinetry. Most storage is just big open space, hard to organize. There are no cabinets above the dinette or the bed. In the Sunseeker 27 footer, there are 15 drawers total, as well as cabinet space above the bed and dinette.

Long story made shorter, we bought a Ford based Sunseeker, and we feel we got features the ISATA3 could not offer, again FOR US. Plus, we paid less money.

My point here is not to bash the ISATA3, but to suggest that you keep an open mind and look at units like Foresters and Sunseekers as well. You might find that features, weight capacities, or floor plans more important to YOU might actually be found in other models, even slightly less expensive ones.

If I were to go with a Mercedes Benz, the new Q model from Forester or Sunseeker on the 2019 Sprinter chassis would have been my choice.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:37 PM   #6

1. If it's just you and your wife you'll be fine. That's how we use it, plus a golden retriever. Also, a toad can be used to carry some extra weight. We don't use ours for that, but it's there if we needed it.
2. I haven't had a Ford, so can't make a comparison. I'm really impressed with the Mercedes so far. We get 13+ mpg towing a Jeep in and around Oregon.
3. Yes I would buy again. Yes we had a couple of minor problems. All fixed by myself. This forum is a great resource with great people more than willing to help. With a bonus of the Dynamax GM on here to get some direct factory help.
4. I think the extended living thing has to do with full timers. I'm not sure where they draw the line as far as warrantee is concerned. We store ours with a dehumidifier in it, but we don't travel with one.
Old 09-12-2019, 12:41 AM   #7

Hello all,

Very new owners of a 2019 Istata 3FW but thought I would share our experiences.

1. CCC is a concern but we plan and load with that in mind and for the most part it will only be my wife and I.

2. Ford verses MB. I know little wrt drive train, dependability, fuel etc but the largest deciding factor for us the space in and around the dash for the passenger while seated. The ford with large “dog house” was a deal breaker, an adult can hardly have their feet together in the foot well of the ford units and it is difficult to swing out of seat into side/rear to enter the house. The MB is clean, open, clear.

Note, one concern I have had is access to the sink while doing dishes etc. the upper cabinet above the sink is is standard depth, not reduced depth, so it can feel cramped and cabinets can feel a little close. Just my option/problem.

As mentioned in other posts, and as I understand it as been addressed, watch for TPMS valve stem extensions. We had scary experience on our first shake down tour much like described by others, had shop replace with proper extensions and feel better now.

We had only had our unit for a few months and a few weeks and few weekend or use but have enjoyed it a great deal, drives great, sleeps well and lay out really works. We choose the duel recliner verses the table and my wife enjoys traveling back there in “ first class” with feet up, dog beside her.

Good luck with you selection and retirement
Old 09-12-2019, 05:10 AM   #8

We bought a lightly used 2019 Isata 3FW after much research. We previously owned a used Winnebago Minnie Winnie 22ft. Ford to see if we liked travelling in a MH. The Sprinter is a much better rig IMHO, despite the CCC constraints. And make no mistake, just because it's a MB, it's just a delivery van with zero luxury appointments. We found the FW to be perfect for us and two dogs while still staying on the shorter side for ease of maneuvering. There will be creaks and groans and rattles and things that need fixing, so the better you are at fixing things, the less time you'll spend at the dealership. The PDI is crucial, and don't take any shortcuts or accept any partial explanations. I asked our walk thru tech why the solar controller was blinking an error code and he told me it was just the snow on the roof. This dealership made the original sale and bought it back from the elderly owners. They also delivered it from Michigan to California, and picked it up in Florida and drove it back to Michigan. The solar panels were wired backwards at the controller so it never worked from day one. But yet it was "snow on the roof". It was February, and there was snow on the roof, but they weren't able to catch that somehow. I fixed it myself in less than 10 minutes but it serves as an example of what's possible and all too probable.
I guess the best thing I could tell you right now is that we're happy to own it and really appreciate the amazingly helpful forum members and the participation of the Dynamax GM.
Riverbend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 06:11 AM   #9

We have had our Isata 24 FWS for a couple of years coming from bus conversions.

The ride is as good as the coach , and the bride finds it 100 times less stressful to drive. As folks get older splitting the driving becomes more important.

WE use it as snowbirds and find towing a small (12ft) closed trailer solves the hassle of high volume but little weight for my brides weaving hobby.
And carting the usual pile of treasures that need to be ,,at the other house. The downside to a trailer is backing up is almost impossible.

"Next year" we will switch to pulling out Honda CRV which can be disconnected easily so can visit more places enroute.

We lived aboard for 120 days last year as we waited for our cottage in CT to be demolished and a new modular installed.

Big thing learned is the dinette is great for most camping ,but when used as a fixed home the seats get many more hours of use , and a cushion on a sheet of ply gets old rapidly .

The bus conversion had real seats in addition to a dinette so the hassle of rock hard dinette seats was never a problem .

We will eventually switch to 2 recliners .

Since we seldom go RV touring for more than a month or so , the limited CCC never is a hassle , the more junk aboard the more maint and hassle with inventory.

Vacation , not second career is goal.

Yes, the hassles if the slide craps out is a worry and no question M-B maint is not cheap but the pleasure of driving a smooth, quiet ,great functioning machine makes up for any hassles.
FFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 06:39 AM   #10

We have the 24rw and love it. We have spent as many as 2 months at a time and have had no real issues. It now has 36,000 miles and 2 years since we purchased it and are still happy campers. We picked the RW because of the huge amount of cabinet space and outside storage compared to the FW. I don’t know what we would do if we didn’t have the cabinets above the the theater seats. That’s where we store all our dry food when traveling.I also like the rear slide when stopping at rest areas or parking lots for a nap when traveling. We didn’t see the need for the extra floor space of the FW. We also went with the theater seats as they are much more comfortable during extended stays over the dinette. As far as the Mercedes it has had no issues and the fuel mileage has been in the 12 to 13 mpg range towing my 10 foot enclosed trailer or my GMC Terrain. This last trip to Wyoming was 3600 miles and it used a half of a tank of def. I also posted a log of my 31 days of boon-docking on this forum if you are interested. As far as my experience this is my 7th Motor Home over 40 rears of RVing.
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Previous coach 2017 Isata 3RW
Also,3 Diesel pushers, 1Bvan, 2 class Cs
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 08:14 AM   #11
Commercial Member

Everyone has their own unique ways to camp. Even though I am the GM, we still use them and I still take feedback from my wife as to what she likes and doesn't like and we make changes accordingly.

I worked at the Sunseeker division for a decade and used Ford almost exclusively. I never really camped in the Mercedes. At the time (with kids), I just needed something bigger. So I know both of them really well and I love them both for different reasons.

I love the Mercedes for the drive (its sits more upright like an SUV). It is smaller and very nimble. I never need a tow vehicle and I can 3 point turn in my driveway. It is MUCH quieter in my mind than the Ford. I just think the driving experience is better in all ways (including passenger leg room).

Having said that, I like the Ford for the space. You can put a bigger rig on there and so if I want to stretch out, having a 27-28' on there is hard to beat. You never have to worry about CCC. The drive is louder and I feel like you sit "down" in it, more like a car. If you drive a car, then it would feel very natural. If you drive an SUV, the Mercedes will be more natural.

As for your specific questions....
1. A FULLY loaded Isata 3 (levelers, cab over, table, diesel gen ,solar) on a new 2019 chassis leaves about 700lbs. You can get more of course with fewer options.

2. The mercedes is more expensive...but it will also get a higher price on trade in or sale. So its really cost of ownership and I think they would be fairly close, with the Mercedes being higher of course.

3. I'll leave that to others. I have had almost no issues on any trip. BUT, #1 I don't deal with the learning curve. I know how most things work, so I do not add to the frustration of things breaking, with things that I "think" are broken because they don't work the way that I think they should. (I hope that makes sense). And if I do hate something...I just tell engineering and we change it...eventually.

4. This doesn't really apply to us. This is more of a clause for full timers that do not properly handle handle the humidity. Just like a home, if you have a humidifier in the winter and have it too high, the windows condensate and can damage the wood trim (among other things). Its just there to prevent having to pay warranty for neglect. I personally have never seen it enforced or used.

As a side note. There was a comment about how "truck like" the Mercedes is. That is no longer the case. The 2019 chassis is a MAJOR change from the previous. 10.25" touch screen, beautiful dash...it has gone from very "work-like" to a luxury passenger vehicle overnight. It comes with a price tag, but is worth it, I think for all of the automotive amenities.

Ford is on the same path....but for 2020 its just engine...I don't think the dash changes come for another year or so (along with removing the doghouse...hooray!). The Ford is still stuck in 1970 with their dash.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 09:41 AM   #12
Site Team

My wife and I recently went through the process of choosing a new M-B Sprinter based Class 3. We looked at all the major brands and a lot of the smaller, less known brands like Leisure Travel Vans (LTV), and Coach House.

First, in my opinion the Suseeker / Forester / Isata Sprinter based vans are basically the same. Using General Motors as a comparison I think of the Sunseeker as a Chevy, the Forester as a Buick, and the Isata as a Cadillac. There are some changes beyond appearance, such as suspension upgrades, but they are basically the same underpinnings and floor plans. The LTV and Coach House are comparable to the Isata in finish but the floor plans are different.

As a general observation as you get more upscale in brand you lose CCC. The fancier wood, the nicer counter tops, and other "bling", all cost you CCC. A lot of CCC in some cases. If you are concerned about CCC stick with a Sunseeker.

M-B versus Ford. We've owned both and the M-B is a much more pleasant driving experience. While the Ford allows bigger floor plans, and more CCC, it is a total PITA compared to a Sprinter to drive. And there is nothing like the roar of the big V-10 to keep conversation at a minimum. But once you stop you'll have a lot more room. One other consideration is who will be driving the RV. While I'm comfortable driving a 30 foot plus E-450 based rig my wife isn't. Put her in a M-B, or Transit, based small C and she is a happy camper, or is that driver? I enjoy knowing she can drive the RV if I need a break or in an emergency.

There is another issue you need to be aware of, dealer support. As in chassis dealer support. There are a lot more Ford dealers that can assist you than M-B dealers. Most M-B dealers will not work on a plain Sprinter much less a Class C. Of all the M-B dealerships in metro Atlanta only two will work on a Sprinter conversion. This is not a show stopper, M-B will take care of you, but be aware of the issue.

M-B maintenance will be more expensive and you will probably never drive enough miles to "save" money owning a diesel. This is one those times you have to decide if it is worth it.

We held off buying a Sprinter until we could get the new upgraded chassis. As Brian said in his "side note" the new chassis is a major change. It made taking a time out worth it!

FR build quality...always an interesting issue. The Sunseekers we've owned, that had major issues, were all chassis related issues not FR issues. The most annoying issue FR has is paint issues with the Full Body Paint option. Taking my motor home in to my FR dealer so they can get it repaired at a local body shop can be a PITA! It is just a time consuming, hard to schedule, PITA...that is the only way to put it. All the other FR build issues have been easily, and quickly, resolved by our FR dealer.

Which brings me to the last thing you need to consider. As a first time owner you need to really select your dealer very carefully. Having a local, supportive, customer first, dealer will save you a lot of grief. Buying a what ever from a "wholesaler" 500 miles away may save you some money but if you have problems it won't be worth it. Read and understand FR's "Buy Local" policy. This isn't like buying a car were every dealer is required to work on your vehicle. Having good dealer support can be a major part of whether you love or hate your new RV.

After going through all the options we settled on a Sunseeker 2400Q, a new floor plan, on the 2019+ Sprinter. It has the features we want, and it has roughly 1,300 pounds of CCC. We should have more CCC as we ordered the "Trekker" small cap.

Do you research and look at everything possible as there is a very wide range of motor homes. Good Luck!
2021 F-150 4X2 SuperCrew Lariat 502A, 3.5L Powerboost Hybrid, 3.55 gears, Tow Technology Package, Tow Mirrors, 1,840# Cargo, 7,000# Tow, 7.2KW Pro Power, Sumo Springs, A.R.E. Z2 Topper

It is better to have too much truck than to have too much trailer.
RedLdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 11:43 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
My point here is not to bash the ISATA3, but to suggest that you keep an open mind and look at units like Foresters and Sunseekers as well. You might find that features, weight capacities, or floor plans more important to YOU might actually be found in other models, even slightly less expensive ones.

If I were to go with a Mercedes Benz, the new Q model from Forester or Sunseeker on the 2019 Sprinter chassis would have been my choice.
I looked at those. The MB Foresters and Sunseekers are essentially the same as Isata 3. I looked at the Ford models and didn't like the size and floor plan as much, only the CCC attracted me. It's all tradeoffs.

I am looking into models with the newer MB chassis. Need to learn more.
Old 09-12-2019, 11:50 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
1. A FULLY loaded Isata 3 (levelers, cab over, table, diesel gen ,solar) on a new 2019 chassis leaves about 700lbs. You can get more of course with fewer options.
Thanks. The 2019 MB chassis can have more CCC? Is this the same as you were previewing on another thread? I wasn't clear on that.

I wish CCC was stated more openly. I realize it depends on options, but it seems rather hidden and obfuscated for something the purchaser really needs to know.
Old 09-12-2019, 11:55 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLdr1 View Post
After going through all the options we settled on a Sunseeker 2400Q, a new floor plan, on the 2019+ Sprinter. It has the features we want, and it has roughly 1,300 pounds of CCC.
I saw that model. Intrigued, but I didn't like the floor plan as much, and all the online specs are TBD.
Old 09-12-2019, 12:11 PM   #16
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabang View Post
Thanks. The 2019 MB chassis can have more CCC? Is this the same as you were previewing on another thread? I wasn't clear on that.

I wish CCC was stated more openly. I realize it depends on options, but it seems rather hidden and obfuscated for something the purchaser really needs to know.
I'm not sure that CCC is obfuscated. Every single motorhome...not just us, but ALL OEM's, are federally mandated to print a sticker, not of estimates...but of that particular vehicle as it was individually weighed. We also all calculate the data the same way (or are supposed to).

We print ours and it is placed on the driver side door jamb. Yellow sticker, black text. I think they may have even standardized the size and language of the sticker.

Maybe I could post "CCC" with zero options on the website and let you figure from there, but based on past experience that would upset people too when it did not match their rig (as in, did not read the fine print...or even large print of, "no options")

Old 09-12-2019, 01:22 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabang View Post
I saw that model. Intrigued, but I didn't like the floor plan as much, and all the online specs are TBD.
We like the floor plan because everything is accessible in travel mode. Some units we looked at have slide outs that make accessing the kitchen, or bathroom difficult, or even impossible, without deploying the slide(s).

FR is slow to update their websites sometimes. Here are the Forester 2401Q specs published in an article in the September 2019 Motor Home magazine:

GVWR: 11,030
Exterior Length: 25' 3"
Exterior Height: 11' 3"
Freshwater Capacity: 35 gallons
Black / Grey Capacity: 30 / 30 gallons
CCC: The CCC of 1315 pounds is from the Yellow door tag in one of the Hershey display 240XQs.

The height, length, and width usually only vary a small amount among the FR MBS "family". The CCC is where you see the larger swings between brands and floor plans.
2021 F-150 4X2 SuperCrew Lariat 502A, 3.5L Powerboost Hybrid, 3.55 gears, Tow Technology Package, Tow Mirrors, 1,840# Cargo, 7,000# Tow, 7.2KW Pro Power, Sumo Springs, A.R.E. Z2 Topper

Old 09-12-2019, 01:25 PM   #18
Commercial Member

at 1300 did it have 4-point levelers?

Old 09-12-2019, 01:30 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
at 1300 did it have 4-point levelers?
No, they aren't even an option on the 2020 Sunseeker MBS Order Sheet I used on our order. It does include the electric two point rear stabilizers.

Old 09-12-2019, 01:35 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLdr1 View Post
GVWR: 11,030
Exterior Length: 25' 3"
Exterior Height: 11' 3"
Freshwater Capacity: 35 gallons
Black / Grey Capacity: 30 / 30 gallons
CCC: The CCC of 1315 pounds is from the Yellow door tag in one of the Hershey display 240XQs.

The height, length, and width usually only vary a small amount among the FR MBS "family". The CCC is where you see the larger swings between brands and floor plans.
Those numbers are essentially the same as Isata 3 and unchanged from the other models. Does that mean the difference is in the options, like levelers? It's not that the chassis can hold more, which is what I was hoping.