Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2017, 04:23 PM   #301
Commercial Member

Sorry to say, they are not the same machine. Same floor plan, but our construction is different from theirs. Their roof is laminated block foam...so the main structure is a perimeter frame of aluminum. The core, is large crowned/domed blocks of foam that run wall to wall and the duct work is molded in. That is topped with lauan board and fiberglass and all glued together.

Our roof is more traditional construction. Aluminum rafters 16" OC. Foil face duct work is routed through the truss openings, batt insulation is laid on top of that. Then 1/4" rigid core decking and one piece fiberglass that rolls over the edges.

So my main concern would be the skylight and how big it might be. Their roof is mainly block foam with some support structure put in where they want the skylight. If that skylight is design to fit between 16" OC trusts, then you are fine as long as you locate it in the correct spot.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 07:25 PM   #302

I ordered the parts from Forest River for the MBS, I'll have to measure it but I think it should fit fine between the 16" struts (what does "OC" mean? On center?).
Thanks for the feedback, I'll make sure they are very careful with where they place it and to make sure any ductwork is rerouted. I plan on putting it in the same place it is in the MBS, which is basically behind the driver's seat...
GusinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 11:08 AM   #303

Quote:
Originally Posted by chroniekon View Post
I need a part too. It seems I have a drivers side armrest mechanism on the passenger side seat. It works backwards. When I take it off and put it on the drivers side, it works perfectly. I made a short video that shows clearly what is going on, but I couldn't get it to install here on the forum, I can send it email if you want.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Got it and we've already been in contact with Mercedes.
Brian, Have there been any updates on this part?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3264.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	324.5 KB
ID:	137947   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3265.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	308.7 KB
ID:	137948  
chroniekon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 11:14 AM   #304
Commercial Member

Not at this time. It is still on order...but an odd part like this will more than likely come from Germany. Which will take some time.

Old 05-15-2017, 11:25 AM   #305

Thanks
chroniekon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 03:04 PM   #306

Does anyone have a link to a formal source for the CCC definition?

This one appears to be wrong. http://www.fulltime-rving.com/Cargo_..._Capacity.html

Alternately, how can I find the UVW for a particular vehicle and run through the numbers myself?

Another question is about propane. We know that we can only fill tanks to 80% of their capacity. Is 20.3 gallons the gross or net capacity?

As you might guess, loading is a challenge which is making a final purchase decision difficult for me.
Hulla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 03:13 PM   #307
Commercial Member

UVW is the motorhome as it sits with FULL FUELS only. So the chassis has a all necessary fluids including full tank. The coach portion is full propane tank. That is UVW. CCC is GVWR minus UVW. CCC is what you have left for fresh water, cargo and occupants.

Propane tank is typically listed as (WC) or Water Capacity. In our 2018 Isata 3 brochure, under Utilities, we list this as 20.3 LP tank (WC). What it can actually hold is 80% of that. Most mfg's list the WC, but not all of them call it out as such.

PS. You will typically not see UVW listed anywhere because each coach is weighed now and a sticker place on the door. We no longer estimate or average the numbers....so once you publish a UVW as a guess, it will be wrong based on options selected.

Old 06-02-2017, 03:20 PM   #308
Commercial Member

I made up a spread sheet a while back so that you didn't forget about tongue weight. Nothing complicated once you know a trailer typically puts 10% of its weight onto the tongue (which goes against CCC). But if you tow 4 wheels down, you can load stuff into the tow vehicle to save on motorhome CCC.

Water is 8.34 per gallon.
We figure all of our fuel at 7lbs.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-06-02 at 4.17.32 P.png
Views:	119
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	139889  

Old 06-02-2017, 03:42 PM   #309

Thank you very much. There is a lot of dubious information out there so it is good to hear it from the source. The biggest one is that a 154 lb / 70kg driver is included in the UVW.

The coach that I am looking at shows a CCC of 784 lbs. A full load of water weighing 290 lbs. The coach that we are looking at has a tankless water heater which accounts for the 6 gallon difference to your spreadsheet.

As long as we don't tanker a lot of water between stops (we tend to dry camp in Provincial Parks in British Columbia with water available at the entrance for shorter trips or have full hookups on longer trips), we should just about be able to manage.

1/4 water on the road plus 330 lbs for me and the wife leaves about 380 lbs for "stuff" with full fuel and full propane.

We are really hoping to avoid towing.
Old 06-02-2017, 03:46 PM   #310

Another place where the explanation is wrong.

How Cargo Carrying Capacity (CCC) Works | HowStuffWorks

Edit to add : Actually, I think that there are pre and post 2009 rules. The links that I mentioned are the pre 2009 rules.
Old 06-02-2017, 04:05 PM   #311

Here is a picture of my actual weight sticker from the drivers door frame. It explains how the numbers were calculated. Since I never carry fresh water, I added the two weights together and got 428 kg or 943 lbs.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0339.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	292.9 KB
ID:	139891  
milkman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 04:10 PM   #312
Commercial Member

A lot of the data out there is based on the old system...which is why it got changed.

One mfg would list their CCC in BIG BOLD NUMBERS. and then in tiny print below say "for 1 person subtract 154, for two people 308, fresh water, XXX". you get the point. And then other mfg's would play by the rules and list CCC as "GVWR-UVW-(154 lbs times each seatbelt position)-full fresh water"

So one MFG would have this HUGE CCC number even though their actual CCC was less than the guy that listed it properly and showed a smaller number.

Old 06-02-2017, 04:11 PM   #313
Commercial Member

The Canadian weight sticker factors full fresh water, the US version does not.

Old 06-02-2017, 04:35 PM   #314

The one that I am in negotiations about is a Canadian vehicle with a dealer in British Columbia.

The sticker simply says that the combined weight of occupant and cargo should never exceed 536 kg or 784 lbs. It then cautions that a full load of water equals 132 kg or 290 lbs of cargo @ 1kg/L (8.3 lb/gal) and that the tongue weight of a towed trailer counts as cargo. The statement is a bit ambiguous. It could be read to mean that water is in additional cargo or that leaving out the water gives us more room for cargo.

It is a new 2017 coach with auto levelling jacks. It has the steel sink in the bathroom and the new shower door and the tankless hot water heater. Based on what I have read here and my initial understanding of the sticker, it seems more likely that I can load 784 lbs of driver, passenger and "stuff" with no water than 784 + 290 = 1,074 lbs.

I have not looked at a US vehicle. Is a touch above 1,000 lbs in CCC for new coaches with auto levelling jacks and not much else within the range that you usually see for US vehicles.

300 lbs is a huge amount of extra capacity and turns a marginal decision into a no brainer.
Old 06-02-2017, 04:43 PM   #315
Commercial Member

If that coach has leveling jacks...then I would guess that it is 784lbs of CCC for passengers, cargo and water. The way I read that is that they consider water to be cargo.

Old 06-02-2017, 04:49 PM   #316

So the weight sticker on a Canadian vehicle does not include water which is contrary to what you said a bit earlier.

The options listing includes "FULL PAINT WITH DIAMOND SHIELD,AUTOMATIC, 4-POINT HYDRAULIC LEVELING JACKS,CANADIAN CHASSIS,Z240 CANADIAN CERTIFICATION FEE,CAB SEAT BOOSTER CUSHIONS,CANADIAN MVSA"

I have to admit to being a bit confused.

Edit to add : Looking at the applicable CFR, this is the US sticker and a bilingual Canadian sticker will be attached before delivery with a CCC of 494 lbs / 224 kg and water weighing 290 lbs or 132 kg. Bummer.
Old 06-03-2017, 06:55 AM   #317

Wow and I was shocked how low our Forester MBS CCC was at 925 pounds.

You'll be able to carry paper plates, a bar of soap, a bathing suit and flip flops.

Those Alcoa aluminum wheels (x7) are looking better every day with removing about 100 pounds of weight from an already heavy coach.

I suspect most MBS owners actually run overweight much of the time...
KatanaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 08:09 AM   #318

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
UVW is the motorhome as it sits with FULL FUELS only. So the chassis has a all necessary fluids including full tank. The coach portion is full propane tank. That is UVW. CCC is GVWR minus UVW. CCC is what you have left for fresh water, cargo and occupants.
Isn't that the definition of the new OCCC?
caswelld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 04:26 PM   #319

My cargo carrying capacity is equal to whatever I bring with me I don't bring a lot of stuff but we really don't notice any handling problems
Full Time in the Summer, soon
Part Time in the Winter
Days Camped, Not Enough
CZNEDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 04:38 PM   #320

My cargo carrying capacity is equal to whatever I bring with me I don't bring a lot of stuff but we really don't notice any handling problems
Full Time in the Summer, soon
Part Time in the Winter
Days Camped, Not Enough
CZNEDY is offline   Reply With Quote