Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2018, 01:22 PM   #1

Isata 3 slide lock out

When I run my slides out I always do it with it plugged into shore power. That said the low voltage light always comes on when the slides are about half way open or closed while in motion. Has always done this since new. So far has not caused any problems. I would like to run the slides with the engine running to benefit from the high amperage output of the Mercedes alternator. For some reason the slides are locked out with the key on. Apparently someone thought this was a good idea that I tend to disagree with. I’ve noticed on the forum that some Dynamaxs are just the opposite and the motor or key has to be on for the slides to function. Anyone have an idea where the lock out mechanism is and how to eliminate it? I think the life of the slide motors would benefit greatly from the higher current flow.
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Previous coach 2017 Isata 3RW
Also,3 Diesel pushers, 1Bvan, 2 class Cs
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 02:09 PM   #2

While I do think it is a good idea for the slides not to operate while the engine is running, for safety reasons, one would think that a manual override switch near the slide control, but out of reach of little ones, would be a very good idea. I always start the generator when I use the slides if I can't plug into shore power. On my isata 3, when plugged in to 120 outlet at home, I never get any warning lights. Only time I did was when I forgot to start the generator and wasn't hooked up to shore power. I have read that others are able to operate the slide with the engine running; was this due to a wiring error or an intentional change made at the factory?
RolandRevenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 02:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandRevenger View Post
While I do think it is a good idea for the slides not to operate while the engine is running, for safety reasons, one would think that a manual override switch near the slide control, but out of reach of little ones, would be a very good idea. I always start the generator when I use the slides if I can't plug into shore power. On my isata 3, when plugged in to 120 outlet at home, I never get any warning lights. Only time I did was when I forgot to start the generator and wasn't hooked up to shore power. I have read that others are able to operate the slide with the engine running; was this due to a wiring error or an intentional change made at the factory?
I’m guessing the factory. If you read the power gear manual it says to start the engine while moving the slides. It has a parking brake lock out so the engine lock out is redundant.
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Old 07-06-2018, 03:14 PM   #4

Brian, or Greg any idea where the lock out mechanism is?
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Old 07-06-2018, 05:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Davis View Post
I’m guessing the factory. If you read the power gear manual it says to start the engine while moving the slides. It has a parking brake lock out so the engine lock out is redundant.
The switch has the same wording;I assumed it was so that the batteries would get charged and then you could operate the slide with just the batteries. Your interpretation is correct, I hope. I would prefer to use the engine rather than fire up the generator when not connected to shore power. Hopefully, this can be corrected easily.
RolandRevenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 05:49 PM   #6

Try to run the slides with the park brake set and the engine running.
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 08:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackrock View Post
Try to run the slides with the park brake set and the engine running.
They won’t move with engine running
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Old 07-07-2018, 09:07 AM   #8

Quote:
When I run my slides out I always do it with it plugged into shore power. That said the low voltage light always comes on when the slides are about half way open or closed while in motion. Has always done this since new. So far has not caused any problems. I would like to run the slides with the engine running to benefit from the high amperage output of the Mercedes alternator. For some reason the slides are locked out with the key on. Apparently someone thought this was a good idea that I tend to disagree with. I’ve noticed on the forum that some Dynamaxs are just the opposite and the motor or key has to be on for the slides to function. Anyone have an idea where the lock out mechanism is and how to eliminate it? I think the life of the slide motors would benefit greatly from the higher current flow.
Any ideas?
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Old 07-07-2018, 09:54 AM   #9

Quote:
I agree, this is nuts! Parking brake interlock is all that's needed. Waiting for Brian to tell us how to disable or bypass the engine running lock out. This slideout low-voltage thing seems to be an issue on this site.
Magnatudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 10:16 AM   #10

So the parking brake interlock on an Isata is not just for the levelers. Interesting.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 01:05 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
So the parking brake interlock on an Isata is not just for the levelers. Interesting.
I don’t have levelers.
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Old 07-07-2018, 02:09 PM   #12

The slide out on my 2018 Isata 3 and the auto levelers work without the parking brake set. No lockout in that regard. Seems there is not a lot of consistency in how things are wired.
Old 07-07-2018, 03:15 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikemdd View Post
The slide out on my 2018 Isata 3 and the auto levelers work without the parking brake set. No lockout in that regard. Seems there is not a lot of consistency in how things are wired.
If we could get a good wiring diagram of everything they do/install when building it would eliminate a lot of maintenance problems. My slide also does not run with the engine running even though the control panel says to start the engine when the low voltage warning comes on.

I fail to see why there is no wiring diagram, they must have one when they build the Isata 3, at least lets home so.
USN-RET/DOD-RET
mlmay12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 04:01 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmay12 View Post
If we could get a good wiring diagram of everything they do/install when building it would eliminate a lot of maintenance problems. My slide also does not run with the engine running even though the control panel says to start the engine when the low voltage warning comes on.

I fail to see why there is no wiring diagram, they must have one when they build the Isata 3, at least lets home so.
A component locater would be nice as well.
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Old 07-07-2018, 04:07 PM   #15

Quote:
A component locater would be nice as well.
That is true, I have tracked down most of the stuff.
USN-RET/DOD-RET
mlmay12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 05:37 PM   #16

Key off, brake on, shore power or generator. My 2017 Isata 3, 24FW.
Michael Standley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 12:35 AM   #17

On my new 2019 Isata 3, I have to engage the parking brake to operate the slide or the auto levelers. Neither will operate without the parking brake on. Furthermore, neither will operate with the engine running.
Barch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 08:11 AM   #18
Commercial Member

I'm not sure I have the answer but will look into this. A lot of this confusion is a result of "supplier" installation instructions. One says E-brake engine running, one has an engine lock out.

While I appreciate the desire for proper voltage...that is the key. Whether it be shore power, powering up the charger or the alternator charging up the batteries...the voltage is what is important, not necessarily which one is providing it.

While the alternator might be nice...this is still regulated by the BIRD. So if the charging parameters are not met...IE, both batteries are in good shape, then the alternator would not charge the house batteries anyway. So just having the slide wired to the E-brake and not the ignition, does not guaranty that the alternator will do anything different. It's not a like a "DIRECT" charge with the engine running.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 09:15 AM   #19

Batteries may not be fully charged however alternator should output ~14 volts & sufficient amperage. Every motorhome I have experienced with slideouts never had an engine running lockout. They all recommended that the user operate slided with the engine running and they all had e-brake interlocks. I would like to see a wiring diagram so I can study where I can disable this added feature.
Magnatudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 10:19 AM   #20
Commercial Member

Yes, but unless the slide is wired directly to the chassis batteries...that alternator may not be doing anything. Connecting the batteries together is still handled by the BIRD. So it is not a guaranty.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lock, slide