Old 10-19-2018, 01:23 PM   #1

Isata 3 - Solar Trickle charger questions

Have a 2018 Isata 3 FW with two RV Intimidator AGM Group 34 batteries (94ah). I have 2 100W solar panels, but will be storing it in AZ under a covered (not enclosed) storage space with no shore power available. Two questions for those who know:
1) Any recommendations on a specific solar trickle charger that could be placed out in the sun to keep the batteries charged? If no specific recommendation, looking for how many watts of power would be needed for the two batteries. Again, no power draw other than normal storage depletion.

2) Technical question: To maintain the charge in BOTH batteries, do I need to connect to both batteries or just to one, which will keep the other one charged also?

I will be starting the generator periodically, but want something to keep the batteries up to snuff in between.
Thanks

Old 10-19-2018, 01:35 PM   #2
Site Team

If the batteries are connected in parallel, you do not need to connect the charger to both. I suggest a 100W panel and good 4 stage controller. It appears you have a solar setup ( with controller) already in the unit. You should be able to add the 100W panel to the outside/roof of the storage and run a heavy cable to the existing controller. Stay away from the advertised 10-20W trickle chargers. They are virtually useless especially for two batteries.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 01:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikemdd View Post
Have a 2018 Isata 3 FW with two RV Intimidator AGM Group 34 batteries (94ah). I have 2 100W solar panels, but will be storing it in AZ under a covered (not enclosed) storage space with no shore power available. Two questions for those who know:
1) Any recommendations on a specific solar trickle charger that could be placed out in the sun to keep the batteries charged? If no specific recommendation, looking for how many watts of power would be needed for the two batteries. Again, no power draw other than normal storage depletion.

2) Technical question: To maintain the charge in BOTH batteries, do I need to connect to both batteries or just to one, which will keep the other one charged also?

I will be starting the generator periodically, but want something to keep the batteries up to snuff in between.
Thanks
I can answer the 2nd question: If the two batteries are 12 volt and connected in parallel (positive to positive, negative to negative), and the charger is 12 volt, then you just hook the charger to either of the batteries and it will charge both.
Old 10-19-2018, 02:44 PM   #4

Did some more research and going to try the BatteyMinder SCC515-015 solar charger system. 15W panel w/controller that should keep the batteries charged when not in use.
Old 10-23-2018, 04:29 AM   #5

I hooked up a 20 watt panel facing west connected to my charge controller. It kept my two batteries at 100% all winter.

Tags
solar