Old 10-21-2018, 01:47 PM   #1

Isata 3 - Tank Heater

Anyone with an Isata 3 used the tank heater? There is no light on the switch so not sure which way is on or off. Tried both toggle positions but the heaters don't work. I have a Progressive EMS which also shows no current draw in either position. Not sure where/if there is a fuse or where it is located. No indication of tank heaters in the fuse box.

Old 10-21-2018, 02:39 PM   #2

I'm glad you brought this up. I went out and checked mine and the switch was left on. It's stored in a heated building, so not really needed.
On mine, on is with the switch pushed in at the top. I also have an EMS and there is only 1 amp difference between on and off. That doesn't seem right for amperage for 3 heating pads. I'm wondering if there is a thermostat in line somewhere that only has them come on when it gets down to a certain temperature.

Old 10-21-2018, 03:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chroniekon View Post
I'm glad you brought this up. I went out and checked mine and the switch was left on. It's stored in a heated building, so not really needed.
On mine, on is with the switch pushed in at the top. I also have an EMS and there is only 1 amp difference between on and off. That doesn't seem right for amperage for 3 heating pads. I'm wondering if there is a thermostat in line somewhere that only has them come on when it gets down to a certain temperature.
I think itís 45 degrees.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 04:35 PM   #4

It was 25F here last night so temperature should not be an issue. I double checked the EMS and as mentioned earlier, there is actually a 1 amp difference between on and off (using the assumption that pushed in at the top is on).
Old 10-21-2018, 05:09 PM   #5

I believe you have to have liquid in the tank for the pad to come on.
Go UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 05:50 PM   #6

The thermostat/s must be in the pads themselves. I was able to check for voltage at the wires leading into the pads and they all had 13.6 volts on them.
Old 10-21-2018, 07:02 PM   #7

From the manual
4. The thermostat on the heater will turn ON the tank
heater as soon as the tank temperature drops to
44į F (7į C). The tank heater immediately starts
protecting your holding tank. When the temperature
in the holding tank rises to 64į F (18˚ C), the tank
heater will automatically turn OFF.
Go UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 02:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikemdd View Post
It was 25F here last night so temperature should not be an issue. I double checked the EMS and as mentioned earlier, there is actually a 1 amp difference between on and off (using the assumption that pushed in at the top is on).

The heaters operate on 12VDC. Your EMS monitors the incoming 120VAC. One amp at 120VAC equals 120 Watts. Assuming three tank heaters like mine thatís 40 Watts per heating pad. That sounds just about right to me. I donít think that you have a problem.
xgarys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 03:24 PM   #9

Hopefully that is the case. I know when I use the autolevelers, the EMS shows 14 amps and slide out shows 8 amps. I think those run on the batteries also.
When I feel the pad underneath the tank, it is very cold and never warms up. I do note that my fresh and grey tanks are empty and my black tank is 1/3 full. That may be a factor also. If anyone following this thread can actually feel heat in the pads when turned on, please let us know. Just trying to find someone who has used the heating pads and seen that they heat the water up to 60F as noted above in the instructions.
Old 10-22-2018, 05:01 PM   #10

I can't verify for sure that mine are getting warm because it's not cold enough for them to cycle on. I did check yesterday with a volt meter that voltage was present at each pad by pricking the probes of my tester through the wire insulation (they have really sharp points) of the wires leading to each pad to verify which direction was on for the switch. This test could also verify for you that the related circuitry (fuses, switch, etc) is working properly.

Tags
heater, tank