Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2019, 05:54 PM   #1

Isata 3 W/in dash Garmin?

My 2020 Isata 3 had an option on the window sticker that was “ In dash Garmin GPS”. There isn’t a Garmin but the in dash Kenwood does have a Nav function. It does not seem to work as it won’t acquire any satellites ( even in a wide open location). I asked the tech who went over our rv when it was delivered yesterday and she said she thought that my iphone had to be connected to unit so it could get gps info from iphone. Is this right or is the Kenwood a true gps and just not working properly?
Battchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 06:38 PM   #2

Doesn’t sound right to me. If NAV was listed as an option it should be part of the Kenwood. My Sony head unit had TomTom NAV installed which worked right from the start. I don’t use the NAV as I used Google Maps on my iPhone. Just quicker than setting up any in dash NAV.
Old 08-17-2019, 07:03 PM   #3

In the Isata 3 brochure, it lists as an option “In-Dash Garmin® RV Navigation System”. If that is shown on your window sticker, then it should be part of your Kenwood head unit. On my Sony, you have to go to the menu and select the GPS for it to load the application.
Old 08-17-2019, 07:43 PM   #4

The Nav portion loads and the map is displayed but the status stays on acquiring satellites. May be an antenna connection issue.

Thanks

David and Canda
Old 08-17-2019, 07:52 PM   #5

Check this one item from the Garmin RV NAV troubleshooting webpage -

My device is not acquiring satellite signals -

Verify the GPS simulator is turned off (Navigation Settings).

Also, tips said initial satellite acquisition may take several minutes.
Old 08-18-2019, 12:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battchief View Post
The Nav portion loads and the map is displayed but the status stays on acquiring satellites. May be an antenna connection issue.

Thanks

David and Canda
Sounds like it should be working, probably an antenna issue. My Isata 3 listed the NAV System and it was not installed. On checking other units on the lot, they were all missing. That particular guy at the factory must have been on vacation. Dynamax overnighted the TomTom NAV unit and it was installed no problem. Only problem is TomTom units suck, I like Garmin though.
USN-RET/DOD-RET
mlmay12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 04:59 PM   #7

GPS

Had the same problem with our new 2020 Isata 3. GPS couldn't acquire the satellite. Forest River did sent a " new" Garmin, but the maps seem to be about 3 years old. "Authorized Forest River Dealer", ruined one the trim piece when they tried to take it out, and finally I had to take it to a specialized radio installer and they installed the new one correctly. My out of state dealer paid for the installation. The lack of talent at some dealerships here in Arizona is truly embarrassing, and
they have the nerve to charge $149 an hour! Unbelievable..Saying that, the rig runs like a top and couldn't be happier with the unit. I know that Isata, Dynamax and Forest River do try to stand behind their warranty.
Ronhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 12:15 PM   #8

Question Isata 3 GPS NAV system

It took some getting used to our 2020 Isata 3 in-dash Garmin system. It did take what seemed to be a LONG time to get the initial GPS connections. So far I'm NOT impressed with the Garmin NAV function and prefer using my phone's Google Maps function. Does anyone know if there is an online tutorial for using the Garmin system installed in the 2020 Isata 3? How about a tutorial the WAZE system that came with the Isata 3?
The2002Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 12:21 PM   #9
Commercial Member

I thought the Garmin Nav was fairly intuitive. I'm not sure if you caught my M2 chassis review....but I also used google maps there and got routed to a one lane bridge..ended up scrapping the passenger side up a little.

Google maps does not take into account the size of the vehicle or if you are towing. The nice thing about a 3 series is that there is not a lot you have to worry about. Sizing is pretty nice...but worth noting if you are towing.

There are several videos on the WAZE app.
here is just one.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 05:21 PM   #10

So far the dealer has said the earliest appointment to repair or replace GPS is November 27. Keep in mind it is a new 2020 that I have had less than a week. It appears that while Sirius XM satellite antenna is mounted on right front roof, the gps antenna is mounted on center of dash behind the camera monitor. A metal plate is glued to dash and the antenna is a magnetic mount. No repositioning of the antenna (within the limited reach of the cable) has any effect on acquiring satellites. I have used gps on my boats since it became available for civilian use and installed several. The location of this antenna severely limits the number of satellites that can be acquired under the best of circumstances. It should be on the roof as well. Very frustrating to buy a brand new rig and hear that they cannot get to it for 3 months.

David and Canda
Lake Travis, Texas
Old 08-21-2019, 06:10 PM   #11
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battchief View Post
So far the dealer has said the earliest appointment to repair or replace GPS is November 27. Keep in mind it is a new 2020 that I have had less than a week. It appears that while Sirius XM satellite antenna is mounted on right front roof, the gps antenna is mounted on center of dash behind the camera monitor. A metal plate is glued to dash and the antenna is a magnetic mount. No repositioning of the antenna (within the limited reach of the cable) has any effect on acquiring satellites. I have used gps on my boats since it became available for civilian use and installed several. The location of this antenna severely limits the number of satellites that can be acquired under the best of circumstances. It should be on the roof as well. Very frustrating to buy a brand new rig and hear that they cannot get to it for 3 months.

David and Canda
Lake Travis, Texas
As far as the location, I am 98% sure that is not the issue.

The XM is on the roof, because there is really only a hand full of satellites in orbit with specific orbits, a couple for XM a couple for Sirius. However for GPS there are at least 24.

If you look at this link http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...-187225-3.html

Someone had the same exact issue, got a new antenna put it where he wanted and it did not resolve the issue. Called Patrick Industries, they sent a new head unit and it appears to have taken care of the issue. We have lots of units with the antenna in that same location...without issue.

Old 08-21-2019, 06:11 PM   #12
Commercial Member

What dealer sold it to you that says they can't get you in until November?

Old 08-21-2019, 06:30 PM   #13

I had to install Android auto on both my phone and the Kenwood in order for me to do any sort of NAV.
sneuzil4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 06:36 PM   #14
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuzil4 View Post
I had to install Android auto on both my phone and the Kenwood in order for me to do any sort of NAV.
There are two versions of the Kenwood.

1. regular Kenwood that has Apple CarPlay and Android Auto

2. Upgraded version that has Apple CarPlay, Android Auto AND Garmin Truck/RV Navigation built in.

Old 08-21-2019, 08:30 PM   #15

I appreciate your response and I agree that the problem is definitely something other than just antenna location. The dealership is MHSRV in Alvarado, Texas. Very large dealer and I am sure my Isata 3 purchase wasn’t even a blip on their radar . I never met anyone other than the salesman and the finance guy. I definitely got the feeling that their focus was Class A sales. I have sent a message to the salesman and service department requesting an appointment much sooner. No reply yet. The day of delivery 4 technicians took turns working for 3 hours to get auto levelers to work properly. They switched out controller from two other Isata 3. Never got it to work right. I read the manual that night and performed reset to tell controller where it was mounted. Works great now. The only issues now are missing TPMS cap sensors from inside duals, GPS and I only received 1 MB key. The only problem with the roof ac was 104 degrees and in direct sunlight. . Windshield solar shade and vent insulators helped immensely. As each year gets warmer, Dynamax may want to offer a Desert Heat Option that includes custom made solar shades for windshield and windows and vent insulators. It would be a popular option in Texas. Thanks again.

David and Canda
Lake Travis, Texas
Old 08-22-2019, 07:02 PM   #16

Update: I contacted the dealership again today to see if they could possibly take care of seemingly minor issues sooner than 90 days. I received a call this afternoon and I now have an appointment for September 4th.

David and Canda
Lake Travis, Texas
Old 09-09-2019, 07:07 PM   #17

Although the tech at the dealership flagged the gps issue as loose antenna cable requiring R&R of kenwood unit, he told me that the issue was interference with camera monitor and relocated gps antenna in front on driver on dash. Whatever the cause, it now works.

Battchief
David and Canda
Deep in the unbearably hot heart of Texas
Old 09-09-2019, 07:23 PM   #18

The funny thing is the GPS antennas on most vehicles are normally on the drivers side dash, just inside of the left windshield pillar (or at least the vehiclesI have owned). I have the TomTom in my 2017 and the antenna is over on the driver side. No idea why they would put it in the middle where the new expanded camera is located. Glad you got everything addressed.
Old 09-26-2019, 01:18 PM   #19

The dealer “repaired” the gps by relocating the antenna to a position on the dash in front of the steering wheel vs next to the camera monitor. The tech stated that the camera monitor creates interference. On our trip through Colorado we lost gps repeatedly. I decided to test the techs theory and unplugged the camera monitor. He is right. Everytime I unplugged the monitor the gps acquired sats immediately and when I would reconnect the monitor, gps reception was intermittent. I tried shielding the antenna cable with copper tape but it had no effect. The interference is being picked up by the antenna itself. So it is either relocating antenna to roof, shielding monitor somehow or some other solution I have not thought of.

Battchief
Old 09-26-2019, 02:35 PM   #20
Commercial Member

Shot this over to my electrical engineer and camera supplier. It should not be interfering.