Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2018, 11:49 AM   #1

Isata 4 Experience

Hello folks - new subscriber here - please be patient as I learn the ropes - this is my first posting.

My wife and I are retired senior citizens considering re-joining the RV camper lifestyle after several years away.

We are considering an Isata 4 Class C on the Ford 450 chassis - the 31DS floorplan specifically, and we would likely be towing a tandem axle trailer carrying a Ford Explorer.

And that's where you folks come in. I'd like to get some real world experiences, both pro and con. What problems have you had, what kind of factory support do you get for warranty issues, what kind of mileage do you get with and without towing ? Basically any kind of info that we can use in making the final decision.

I haven't found much info on the Isata 4 ( which I guess is good from a problems standpoint ) but I am somewhat concerned based on the recent threads on the Isata 5 30FW specifically.

Thank you in advance for sharing your experiences with us.
camperpapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 11:55 AM   #2

I have had a few issues with my Isata 5 30 FW 4X4 but I wouldn't trade it for an Isata 4... EVER. The power to weight ratio is awesome. I get about 10 mpg and there hasn't been a hill I've found that I can't pull at 60 mph on a hiway. Also, the cargo carrying capacity is extremely good.
Old 11-09-2018, 04:52 PM   #3

I don’t think you’ll have the CCC for the tongue weight of a trailer, would likely want to flat tow or step up to a I5. At least not and have any CCC leftover for actual cargo and passengers
Old 11-09-2018, 05:10 PM   #4

If you can afford it, I recommend you consider the I5 DS. While limited CCC, you can flat tow anything, it's a beast when it comes to power, gets decent fuel milage and is simply one of the best Class C's in the market place. I took delivery of mine in June, we now have over 12,000 miles on it and we really like the coach. I especally like the way it drives and handles. Very nice rig.

You'll have problems with RV you buy, this FORUM is a great place to learn about Dynamax products and they are not afraid to expose their warts. BC the GM is on here all the time with advice and answering questions. Take a hard look at the 3 I 5 models, I have the DS and it's just perfect for us. If you have any questions fire away.

Days camped 2021 = 25
caseymyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 07:10 PM   #5

Hi, I have a series 4 31ds and really like the floor plan and the roominess even with slides in. I flat tow a 2014 Ford explorer and the E450 chassis has no issue doing it. Mileage varies of course based on wind, hills etc. I have averaged around 7.5 to 8.5 towing. With no tow vehicle it gets about 1 mile per gallon better. I don't think I would add the extra weight of the trailer if not needed. I currently have my unit at the factory so they can fix a few issues I have. We have put over 12000 miles on the unit in 3 months. If you have questions feel free to private message me. Enjoy
2014 Explorer & 2006 Jeep Unlimited
Oldnapapartsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 08:49 AM   #6

I have a 4, and flat tow a wrangler.

You will not have the cargo capacity to pull a trailer. It cannot take the tongue weight.
( agreeing with a previous poster)
If you can swing the I5, you should.
Old 11-15-2018, 04:52 PM   #7

Thumbs up Thanks for info

Thanks to all who responded … I really appreciate your input … am now seriously considering the Isata 5 most likely the 30FW … thanks again
camperpapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 10:28 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by camperpapa View Post
Thanks to all who responded … I really appreciate your input … am now seriously considering the Isata 5 most likely the 30FW … thanks again
Great choice, you'll love it.
Days camped 2021 = 25
caseymyers is offline   Reply With Quote