Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2019, 08:24 PM   #1

Isata 5 30FW Floorplan Discussion - Likes/Dislikes? Suggestions?

I think we are aiming toward the 30FW, although we are concerned about the folding bed. At 32’ long, it is the shortest Super C that can be purchased new, and until a 31’ long Force HD with 4x4 is available (hint ), the Isata 5 30FW is the best option.

Could those of you who have the 30FW please share your likes and dislikes regarding that floorplan?

In addition, we would appreciate feedback from all in comparing the floorplans of the Isata 5 30FW vs. Leprechaun 260QB. See image at bottom. (I am not talking about debating Dynamax vs Coachmen, just comparing the floorplans.)

The Isata 5 30FW and the Leprechaun 260 QB are similar-sized boxes. The 260 QB is unfortunately only available on the Ford E450 chassis, and it is only available as a used, former rental (Coachmen makes the 260QB only for Road Bear for their rental fleet.)

These are the things we really like about the 260QB floorplan relative to other similar-sized boxes:
  1. 80” long queen bed
  2. Bed in a separate room
  3. Bed always available without extending slide/unfolding bed
  4. Although a corner bed, it is much more accessible than most corner beds
  5. Great windows in the back/bedroom
  6. Split bathroom/shower open to bedroom -> more open feel
  7. Dinette and sofa across from each other

If the 260QB floorplan was available on the Ram or Freightliner chassis, we think the items above would outweigh the benefit of a walk-around bed which is 75” long and must have the slide extended and be unfolded. However, we would appreciate other opinions!

Brian, would something like the 260 QB floorplan work for a short Isata 5 or Force HD? (I know you get enough suggestions about floorplan tweaks , but would appreciate your insight since you have thought through so many floor plan iterations and have a deep understanding of customer preferences.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Isata 5 30FW and Leprechaun 260QB.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	140.1 KB
ID:	194974  
content is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 10:54 AM   #2
Commercial Member

It would work but would be longer in length and there are lots of trade offs, which are equally detrimental to being a perfect floor plan.

Corner beds are almost universally hated. While this one is easier to get on/off (at the end of the bed) it still pins the inside person. And it looks like the wardrobe still prevents from the getting off comfortably.

The shower in the bedroom is what kills it for me. If someone wants to sleep in...no go. Also you're getting ready in the bedroom (which on cool mornings is not the best).

The living area in the QB is tighter than I would like and the cooking area is super tight. I am certainly biased on the 30FW as I spent a week in it.

30FW bedroom not being in its own room did not bother me at all. We drew the curtain and it was like its own space. I could be showering and getting ready in the bathroom, my wife could be getting ready in the bedroom.

When the shower heats up the room, that room is tiny. SO when my wife got out it was still warmer in the bathroom than the other rooms. In that big open space on the QB, she would be freezing.

The living area (where you spend most of your time when camping) is WIDE open in the 30FW. So while the QB might be more open in the bedroom...it is where you spend the least amount of time. I can cook easily...multiple pans, open and close the fridge often. And everyone can get back and forth without me being in the way. Including with the fridge door open. In the QB...you are going around the island to get to the fridge and the fridge door blocks the hallway.

For me...the con of the hinged mattress is far outweighed by the multiple compromises of the QB. Another telling story is that they no longer make it. Which means it was not a very popular floor plan.

Having said all of that, I am sure there are people who have it and love it. I also have experience living in the 30FW and really noted zero drawbacks. I am only 5'-10" however...so not sure if a longer bed would be a big deal.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 11:54 AM   #3

Our Isata 3 has the fold up bed and it’s the most comfortable bed we’ve ever had in an RV and it’s our 7th Motor home including 3 diesel pushers.
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Previous coach 2017 Isata 3RW
Also,3 Diesel pushers, 1Bvan, 2 class Cs
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 12:09 PM   #4

We have the first Isata 5 30FW 4X4 that came off the line. I completely agree with Brian's comments. This is as near a perfect design as I can imagine. There are some compromises, like it would be better for me if there was more room around the bed, but that would necessitate a longer coach or a smaller dining/couch area. Also, for us an up front entertainment center would be better than the over cab bunk, but that is personal preference. The CCC is excellent with the Ram 5500 chassis and the towing capacity and torque are awesome. It's pretty easy to see why they are almost a year out in production on these.
Old 01-20-2019, 05:11 PM   #5

We have an I-5 30FW and we love the layout. I agree with Brian's comments.
The only change I wish was unavailable would be an entertainment center option instead of the overhead bunk. I also wish the refrigerator was at floor level. The ice maker and freezer reach are a little too tall for me.
SusieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 09:22 AM   #6
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusieR View Post
We have an I-5 30FW and we love the layout. I agree with Brian's comments.
The only change I wish was unavailable would be an entertainment center option instead of the overhead bunk. I also wish the refrigerator was at floor level. The ice maker and freezer reach are a little too tall for me.
The furnace resides under the fridge...so that limits us. We have looked at a Truma furnace. It can mount just about anywhere and is super small....it is also SUPER expensive. And cold weather camping seems to only happen a small percentage of time. But we'll keep looking at options.

Old 01-21-2019, 10:30 AM   #7

Thank you Brian for your thorough reply above. We appreciate your time and insight. Thanks everyone else too. This forum is a great way to learn from the experience of others!
Old 01-21-2019, 12:18 PM   #8

The main reason we switched from our 24 foot solera to our 24 foot isata 3 was my wife could no longer stand that corner bed.
Sandiegodoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 06:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
The furnace resides under the fridge...so that limits us. We have looked at a Truma furnace. It can mount just about anywhere and is super small....it is also SUPER expensive. And cold weather camping seems to only happen a small percentage of time. But we'll keep looking at options.
Yeah, I checked to see what was down there. I figured it was mandatory.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:23 PM   #10

the comfort factor of the fold up bed is not an issue.
Dick Skeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 11:29 PM   #11

Two ongoing concerns with the folding bed: 1) inability to overnight on that bed without extending slide; and 2) inability for someone to lie on that bed while traveling.

Thinking it through though, the number of times in the past that we have needed to not extend the slide at night has been less than 5, so I guess that's not a huge deal. On the other hand, I think we would use the bed while driving more frequently. If needed, I guess the dinette could be made into a short bed, or the sofa could be used. However, they are not as comfortable as the primary bed, whether while driving or overnight.

For Brian or those of you with an Isata 3 24CB, how is that corner bed with the entire foot open working? Nice design creativity compared to other corner beds!
Old 01-21-2019, 11:59 PM   #12

Our isata 3 w has a nice couch instead of a dinette, easy for wife to snooze while I’m driving
Sandiegodoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 08:14 AM   #13
Commercial Member

1. that is still a con...although I have never had an issue with it myself, we don't all travel the same way.

2. This one I'm not sure is an issue. The problem with any bed, is that it is behind the axles. So that is also the springiest spot. Most of the time if my wife is trying to sleep while I drive, she either kicks back the passenger seat (LOTS of room to put the seat back in the Ram) or she goes back on the recliner. She has never gone to that back bedroom...not saying it wouldn't;t happen, but I don't think it would happen as much as most people think they would like it to. I for one would love to do it...but i'm the driver.

Old 01-22-2019, 08:36 AM   #14
Citrus County, Fl.

Quote:
1. The problem with any bed, is that it is behind the axles. So that is also the springiest spot. I for one would love to do it...but i'm the driver.
I thought that's what cruise control is for
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 09:08 AM   #15

I’ve never tried sleeping back there myself but the cat loves it. As soon as I start the engine she hightails it back there and crawls under the covers. We don’t see her again until we park for the night.
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Previous coach 2017 Isata 3RW
Also,3 Diesel pushers, 1Bvan, 2 class Cs
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 10:06 AM   #16

Quote:
I for one would love to do it...but i'm the driver.
x2
Old 01-22-2019, 12:10 PM   #17

I tried sleeping in the rear bed on a class A one time while my wife was driving. I was literally bounced clear of the mattress so often, it was impossible to sleep.
Old 01-24-2019, 08:06 PM   #18
Dynamax Isata 5 FW

Isata 5 30FW Floorplan Discussion - Likes/Dislikes? Suggestions?

My wife and I, coming from a Sprinter type with a corner Bed the I530FW is about the best that it could be. The only thing that I would change( and will) is all the dead spaces that could have been storage accessible. With just a floor and a door. And perhaps adding two shelf’s to the entry cabinet.

One more thing how about adding grab rails up front under the bunk so us old ones can get into the back with out being on hands and knees.
Old 01-24-2019, 09:18 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by van_fl View Post
My wife and I, coming from a Sprinter type with a corner Bed the I530FW is about the best that it could be. The only thing that I would change( and will) is all the dead spaces that could have been storage accessible. With just a floor and a door. And perhaps adding two shelf’s to the entry cabinet.

One more thing how about adding grab rails up front under the bunk so us old ones can get into the back with out being on hands and knees.
There's a large dead space under the dinette bench closest to the front of the coach behind the drawer. We boxed that space in and it's the perfect place for my Instant Pot.

Tags
floor