Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2018, 11:14 PM   #1

Isata 5 30FW question about RV frig vs Residential frig?

Hi guys, just put a down payment to hold a new Isata 5 30FW which will be delivered in 2019, on the line now, so things still can be changed...I would appreciate input on opinions as to pros/cons of the residential fridge vs the RV fridge. I live in the Pacific NW and ski in the winter, often at resorts without power hookups, for multiple days. In the summer I take the water toys to the dry and hot side, again often without hook-ups. My experience has been with an rv frig in my camper which has worked great. If I could get input from owners of ones with residential fridges as to how the power usage really shakes out. Mine is coming with solar panels, autostart gen, and pure sine wave inverter...would I need to go to 4 batteries? Does it work as I'm being told? Any input helps my decision.
bigarmsbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 12:27 PM   #2

Congratulations on your new Isata 5. Our DX3 has the same setup as you have optioned. We wouldn't change anything! Now if the Generator was powered by LPG I might reconsider. But ours uses Diesel. Can't answer about the 4 batteries. Don't know in your case.
rskeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 12:39 PM   #3

If it's any help, I live in Eastern Washington. Just got our Isata 5 30FW last November. I didn't use it in snow last year because I was afraid of snow pushing the slide topper down and causing problems when we go to bring it in. Maybe if you carry a ladder and can scrape the snow off before pulling it in that would work.

As far as the Refrigerator goes, a few weeks ago we were on a trip and stayed at a Wallmart...this was the first time we were unplugged all night. With everything off except the refrigerator the two batteries we have held charge from about 10pm until about 4am when the generator started. I have it set to come on when the batteries draw down to 11.8 volts.
Old 09-28-2018, 11:54 PM   #4

Thanks

Thanks for the input. Sounds like the residential fridge will be fine. As far as the slide toppers go, I’ve had two plus feet of snow on them in my camper at Mt. Baker and the snow just slides off. You just need to watch them that they don’t bind on the way in. The learning curve is always steep. Just trying to anticipate it with the Isata.
bigarmsbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 09:52 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigarmsbill View Post
Thanks for the input. Sounds like the residential fridge will be fine. As far as the slide toppers go, I’ve had two plus feet of snow on them in my camper at Mt. Baker and the snow just slides off. You just need to watch them that they don’t bind on the way in. The learning curve is always steep. Just trying to anticipate it with the Isata.
If you can handle the extra weight put in two extra batteries and a couple of solar panels (you can have up to 4). That way if you have sunny days, you'll really increase your passive charging capabilities and help to keep batts topped off. I have a DS with 4 batts and 3 solar panels and so far so good.
Days camped 2021 = 25
caseymyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 10:01 PM   #6

Congratulations on your purchase. I have a 2017 Isata 5 DS with solar panels, 4 batteries, residential frig, generator. The frig can run all night without starting the generator. Solar panels charge batteries next day.
I like the residential frig for evenness of temp and no use of propane.
Old 02-02-2019, 10:12 PM   #7

Does anybody have a photo of the optional 2-way refrigerator and no side pantry installed in an Isata 5?

Below is the description from the brochure:
9 cu ft. 2-Way Refrigerator with Ice Maker in Place of
Standard Refrigerator and Side Pantry

Curious what it looks like outside and inside, and how the 9 cu ft optional refrigerator takes up more wall space than the 16 cu. ft. standard refrigerator?

Thank you.
content is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 08:10 AM   #8

If you will be boondocking for more than a single overnight, PROPANE is the best way to go.

No need for endless noisemaker hours for you or the camp site to endure.
FFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 09:21 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFred View Post
If you will be boondocking for more than a single overnight, PROPANE is the best way to go.

Depends,. I have 4 coach batteries + solar panel with residential frig. Can go multiple days without running the generator. The residential frig is very efficient. Of course if no sun then have to run the generator for a short time.
A couple of appliances require the generator - the A/C's and convection oven.
IMHO the residential frig does a better job at keeping food fresh longer.
Old 02-03-2019, 01:11 PM   #10

We've boondocked in our I-5, residential refrigerator, 200 watts solar and 4 AGM batteries. We were in the Utah area so we were getting some solar, plus the temp was in the 50 - 70 F range. You won't get as much solar and your batteries will lose capacity in winter weather.

What we found was we had to run the generator for about 2 hours in the morning and in the evening.

2015 Jeep Wrangler JKU toad
Slolane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 06:05 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFred View Post

Thank you. This is what we are thinking.

Curious to see a photo of an Isata 5 with the 2-way refrigerator to see how it affects the wall and pantry.
Old 02-03-2019, 08:48 PM   #12

Good news, you still get the pantry with the Dometic 2-way, that loss of pantry mention is a typo.

I went with the 2-way frig due to frequent boon docking with my UTV.

Here is a link to a cool 360 view of the entire 30FW interior:
https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=sR...dDfjZfYyIebgM4

30FW kitchen pic:
Isata 5 Class C Motorhomes by Dynamax

2015 Solera MBS 24R - Hellwig/Sumo Equipped, Sold
(Sold the Vibe TT, as well)
Pod2Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 11:00 PM   #13

This walk thru has a rv fridge and the pantry is in place. Think it has ice maker too. https://youtu.be/j8piYfeBf_Q
No longer mine: 2006 Rockwood Roo 23SS
All pop-up and tent camping before...
mjbenedict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 11:24 PM   #14

Great post and correct on the Ice Maker.

The YouTube video is BC's demo unit with the RV 2-way frig. It is also the same rig as in the 360 interior video, I believe.

Old 02-03-2019, 11:33 PM   #15

Thank you. I assumed those images were the standard refrigerator, and did not know they are of the 2-way refrigerator.
Old 02-03-2019, 11:48 PM   #16

No problem. The standard frig is a Whirlpool SS Residential model.

Old 02-04-2019, 09:59 AM   #17
Commercial Member

I think what happened is the option code reads "in place of residential refer and pantry" on the M2 product. That is a 12cu ft.

With the 9 cu ft, I'll have to correct that since we were just using the same option code.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote

« Backup camera | PDI »