Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2019, 10:13 AM   #1
Commercial Member

Isata 5 36DS Changes

We need to touch this floor plan for a few things. One of which to go to the 2 piece cap like we did for the 28SS. That should make fender benders a little easier on the wallet. It also saves weight and gains about 8" in interior space.

Sooo, those of you WITH the 36DS. If you had another 8-10" of space where would you use it? We can get even more by going to a Queen bed.

1. We can go to a Queen bed. Which gets more room around the bed, maybe some more bathroom space.

2. We can go to a true King bed (72 wide) but that's about all we could get...maybe a little more room around the bed.

3. or we can go to a Queen bed, get more room around the bed and still shorten the overall length from 36'-5" to 35'-8". That might save some weight...we can change the fresh water tank to 78 gallons (from 95) and get it into the bed base, freeing up more outside storage.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 11:26 AM   #2

Keep the King bed as is (that's one reason we bought the 36DS), give us 8 inch wider ward for a few more clothes. This unit is close to perfect as is! Thanks for asking.
I5PhilGa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 03:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
We need to touch this floor plan for a few things. One of which to go to the 2 piece cap like we did for the 28SS. That should make fender benders a little easier on the wallet. It also saves weight and gains about 8" in interior space.

Sooo, those of you WITH the 36DS. If you had another 8-10" of space where would you use it? We can get even more by going to a Queen bed.

1. We can go to a Queen bed. Which gets more room around the bed, maybe some more bathroom space.

2. We can go to a true King bed (72 wide) but that's about all we could get...maybe a little more room around the bed.

3. or we can go to a Queen bed, get more room around the bed and still shorten the overall length from 36'-5" to 35'-8". That might save some weight...we can change the fresh water tank to 78 gallons (from 95) and get it into the bed base, freeing up more outside storage.

Hopefully not a change I would see on the one I just ordered. If saving a good amount of weight, I’d be OK with the queen. Any room under the bed to put lithium batteries, I’m probably going this way when mine arrives. Would like to see the battery compartment closed in but I suspect that would be an extra cost or delay in manufacturing. Doesn’t need more bathroom space.
No longer mine: 2006 Rockwood Roo 23SS
All pop-up and tent camping before...
mjbenedict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 08:29 PM   #4

Hi Brian,

Comments based in my 2017 model so some suggestions may already be covered in new units.

- like the under bed storage. Use it for sheets, blankets, dirty clothes sacks, etc.
- keep the existing water tank size. Can support 5+ days of boondocking.
- increase CCC
- consistent flooring thru out. Mine has carpet in bed room and main slide out. Wish it had vinyl thru out
- there is no place to hang a coat or put shoes at entrance. This would be nice to have
- we like the king bed. Would be ok with full size queen bed
- offer mattress option such as a nice sleep number
- USB ports by night stand with pocket for phone
- offer "pet friendly" upholstery like a faux suede.
- power cord reel
- night lights on each side of the bed. There are times I want to read but the wife wants the overhead lights out. I don't think the two lights over the bed dim. They should.
- if you shrink the bedroom foot print for a queen bed add more kitchen counter space.
- would be nice if awning extended over the door for protection when it rains.
- upgrade the slide out awnings so they have a cover when closed.
- the awning over the main slide out needs support in the middle to keep water from pooling in the middle.
- upgrade the main awning with cover to protect fabric from sun damage when rolled up.
- powder coat the storage frames to prevent rust.
- I added the following shelves. The upper space in the pantry above the pull out drawers, behind the bedroom TV, upper kitchen cabinet above the sink, cabinet by the entry door.
- use smart TVs with built in WiFi
- with the residential frig mounted on top of the furnace my wife has difficulty accessing the freezer. Look at another option that mounts the frig lower for better freezer access for shorter folks.

We like our unit and do big and small trips as well as snowbirding in AL for 2+ months.

Thanks for asking for ideas to improve the product.
Old 11-25-2019, 06:54 AM   #5
Travel Adventurer

We chose DS, in part, BECAUSE it has a King size bed. If we were worried about length we'd go 30 or the new 28 and have a queen. Give them more space around the King Size bed - I know our dogs and us would appreciate a little less tight of a squeeze getting in and out.
The Former Taxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 07:00 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Former Taxman View Post
We chose DS, in part, BECAUSE it has a King size bed. If we were worried about length we'd go 30 or the new 28 and have a queen. Give them more space around the King Size bed - I know our dogs and us would appreciate a little less tight of a squeeze getting in and out.
With a 36 footer do you or have you had a size issues at national parks or campgrounds ⛺️?
Jeep_Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 07:56 AM   #7

Another suggestion,

Change the design on the above cab bunk window to eliminate the problem of wind noise when there is a strong cross wind.

The ability to pull out and tilt/turn the outside TV would be a nice feature.
Old 11-25-2019, 09:19 AM   #8

We love the king bed and it definitely factored into our decision to purchase. We have no real complaints about space. If I could add space anywhere, it would definitely be in the shower, but I can also see the benefit of more space around the bed.
Old 11-25-2019, 11:32 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalenss View Post
Another suggestion,

Change the design on the above cab bunk window to eliminate the problem of wind noise when there is a strong cross wind.

The ability to pull out and tilt/turn the outside TV would be a nice feature.
I changed my outside tv to have the pullout/tilt mount and I put a Sony sound bar under the tv..Looks and works perfect. The mount was cheap and is solid. I just had a shoulder replaced but can get the info and pix to you later if want. I also have the bluetooth sub that goes with the soundbar..Football is great outside.

Paul
Old 11-25-2019, 11:37 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep_Life View Post
With a 36 footer do you or have you had a size issues at national parks or campgrounds ⛺️?
Driving through the parks I haven't had a problem. Don't camp in them due to the length but that's all about planning. Yellowstone we stay just outside, Yosemite we stay just outside. Thats where your jeep takes over. Works for us.

The 36DS is a great rig.

Paul
Old 11-26-2019, 08:52 AM   #11

Quote:

Definitely put the water under the bed and free up the outside space. The 75 gallon tank would be perfect. The space under the bed is not convenient and not accessible with the slides in. What time should I be at the factory for my modification? [emoji23]

2018 Isata 5 DS
sseaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 08:46 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sseaner View Post
Definitely put the water under the bed and free up the outside space. The 75 gallon tank would be perfect. The space under the bed is not convenient and not accessible with the slides in. What time should I be at the factory for my modification? [emoji23]

That's funny, after reading Brian's post, I was going the other way on this one. We use the underbed storage for all kinds of stuff that we want to get at on a semi-regular basis (spare clothes, TP, Paper towels, swim gear, etc).

On top of that, from a chassis dynamics standpoint, *I* wouldn't want the ability to move that much weight higher up and further back. a full tank of water would equate to 600# in this case and now instead of it being lower and in-between the axles, it's above the floor line and behind the rear axle. Yes, I know, drive as little as possible with the water tank full, but I am talking potential here.

On top of that, if I remember correctly, the 30FW doesn't have a gravity fill port for the water tank because it's under the bed, correct? We have only needed the gravity fill a handful of times, but the times we have needed it, it was a life saver.

I'm not a 36DS owner but our 35DB has the same basement storage arrangement and I have no issues with basement storage capacity. Gaining basement storage at the cost of losing the underbed storage and the gravity fill would be a hard 'no' for me.
Old 12-04-2019, 01:37 AM   #13

We think the 8" would be welcome in the bed room. Would give you more room on both sides of the existing bed. You could turn the night stands into drawers for odds and ends, add a usb charger port on each night stand too. The added 8" would make a nice addition to the hanging closet and make the drawers wider, leaving the counter top and bedroom door where they are.
Days camped 2021 = 25
caseymyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 08:49 AM   #14
Commercial Member

This was the proposal for the wardrobe.

So the question is...counter top or more storage? I have a question in as to why we would drop the counter? something else has changed of course...but not sure why/what.

You would go from 4 drawers to 6 drawers in this scenario.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-12-04 at 8.47.53 A.png
Views:	81
Size:	831.6 KB
ID:	220132  

Old 12-04-2019, 08:50 AM   #15
Commercial Member

Setup today, is a single door wardrobe and 4 drawers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-12-04 at 8.49.41 A.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	300.5 KB
ID:	220133  

Old 12-04-2019, 09:34 AM   #16

Have never maxed out of clothes storage.

We use the counter top ( only place to set things down) and definitely use the window for cross ventilation. If this window is removed it only leaves the two small windows by the bed for ventilation only when the slide out is open.

So no to removing the counter top and eliminating the window.
Quote:
This was the proposal for the wardrobe.

So the question is...counter top or more storage? I have a question in as to why we would drop the counter? something else has changed of course...but not sure why/what.

You would go from 4 drawers to 6 drawers in this scenario.
Old 12-04-2019, 10:18 AM   #17

BC, we agree Whaleness. We just came back from a trip to Florida (92 degrees and very humid) and Michigan (it snowed the first day and was 7* with a windchill of 0) and so needed a wide range of clothing. We managed very well with what we have. If you added the 8" to the wardrobe, making the drawers bigger and maybe a couple of night stands with a drawer in each, I think that'd be good bang for the buck? And there is consesus here that we would not want to loose the cross ventilation of the window and the natural light it provides.
Days camped 2021 = 25
Old 12-04-2019, 10:20 AM   #18

P.S. we use the under bed storage to the max, mostly for seasonal clothing and blankets and extra pet food. Would not want to give it up for a water tank.
Days camped 2021 = 25
Old 12-04-2019, 10:25 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep_Life View Post
Well technically you are too long for many. But a few that I like and frequent, I happen to know the space numbers of the longer sites and I can easily camp there when I can reserve those sites. The park hosts don't usually care or measure you unless you show up in a 40' bus and a 36' DS does not look like a big coach because of the pickup looking front end. Try it in a park near you?
Days camped 2021 = 25
Old 12-04-2019, 10:28 AM   #20
Commercial Member

Well, there's good news & bad news. We can probably leave the window and counter and still make that a bit bigger.

But, I think the water under the bed is a done deal. That frees up another outside storage compartment (which you could still put a rubbermade tub with blankets and seasonal clothes). While maybe not ideal...moving the water to the bed base helps us in many other areas. Not only freeze protection but weight balancing and taking weight off of the front axle. So too many pros, and not enough cons.

On the other side...with the sprung dinette. You get access to more of that storage area and instead of being cobbled up with dividers and such, the whole area is free and can accept heavier items as well.