Old 01-09-2017, 04:11 PM   #1

Isata 5 back-up camera

I'm going to replace the useless rear view mirror in my Isata 5 with a rear view camera that is on all the time. After doing a little research, I came up with this system:

RVS-770619N | Backup Camera System One (1) Camera Setup with 7" Replacement Mirror Display | RVS Systems

This unit replaces the rear view mirror, it slides right on to the lug on the windshield.

This company has their systems on quite a few RV's (they even have it on some Forrest River models)

I do have one question for you Brian - can you tell me what the connection from the existing camera into the Uconnect display is. I'm hoping that I can use the existing camera and just use that feed to the new display. This system comes with everything so i'm hoping it will be a simple installation.

Rrzasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 08:55 AM   #2
GM

I've used RVS for years when I was at Sunseeker/Forester.

The reason we did not do what you're talking about is because the Ram 5500 mirror is NOT just a mirror. There are wires that run to it for the Assist/911 buttons. RVS also made us a clip on version that goes right over the existing OEM mirror so that you don't lose the functionality of the existing mirror.

ALSO...the RAM mirror does not clip into a lug like the Ford does. It is a completely different mounting style. Its a big bulky plastic piece and the mirror is on a ball socket.

"come build RV's, it'll be easy they said".

PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only (VIN, Contact info or things you do not want the public to see).
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 09:20 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply Brian. Is the clip on version still available? Do you happen to remember the part number. I saw the wiring and the different mounting system but I figured that I don't use the 911/ assist feature so i'd remove the whole thing and mount a lug on the wind shield. If the clip on version is comparable, then i'd consider that since it would save the original equipment.
Old 01-10-2017, 12:56 PM   #4
GM

I never did buy it from them so I did not get the part number...I just know they offered it.

As for the wiring...that gets confusing because we were getting the Ram prewire. The camera hooks into a harness in the back of the unit and gets a yazaki connector. I'll have to dig in a little bit more to see how in the world the radio ties into that equation. Electrical engineer stopped by, but I was in a meeting,
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only (VIN, Contact info or things you do not want the public to see).
Old 01-10-2017, 07:52 PM   #5

Brian, please post what info you can on on this topic as a new owner of an Isata 5 I do want to have a rear view camera while towing.
Old 01-11-2017, 07:44 AM   #6
GM

Well, the consensus is that a new wire would have to be run, or go wireless.

Prior to my arrival, they were ordering the RAM's with the RAM back up camera. This camera feeds into the Connect radio (which is not available for us to delete). That means it ties into the chassis harness and is wired into the OEM radio harness...not in a traditional method with RCA cables as we would find aftermarket.

On the 2018, I will not be using the Uconnect radio for back up at all...but instead a stand alone system.

I am still asking FCA about a software update that would allow the camera button on the radio, like they do for the Laramie and the 1500 trucks.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:04 AM   #7

Thanks for your attention and follow up. Hope there is a software update to enable the camera.
Old 01-12-2017, 02:13 PM   #8

Thanks for the information Brian, I guess the easiest is if FCA would offer a software upgrade to allow the camera to be on all the time. I'd rather pay for that upgrade than run new wires or use a wireless backup camera that I have to run power wires to anyway.
Old 01-13-2017, 09:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrzasa View Post
Thanks for the information Brian, I guess the easiest is if FCA would offer a software upgrade to allow the camera to be on all the time. I'd rather pay for that upgrade than run new wires or use a wireless backup camera that I have to run power wires to anyway.

Is your back up camera in the mirror or dash?

Are the 5's coming with the 8.4 screen?
Old 01-13-2017, 09:32 PM   #10

Here is your software/hardware solution.

I personally installed this in my 2014 ram 2500.
I also added a front camera.

Lockout disable
Front cam feature enable
Rev cam feature enable
Cargo cam feature enable or media (Mediaplayer, DVD) input.
Force front cam feature
Force cargo cam feature
Force Rev cam Feature
FrontView
ParkPro

With a front cam installed, the front camera image comes on screen automatically under 10kph. ( or so)
Nice for parking lots.

http://customtronix.com/webshop/chry...lbreak-silver/