Old 07-17-2018, 03:39 PM   #1

Isata 5 Continental HSR 225 70r19.5 Tires

Here is some information on our tires on the Isata 5.

I noticed this past weekend that I had unusual wear on the front tires, they were worn on the outsides of each tire all the way down to the wear strips.

I have 31,000 miles on the tires and I keep the tire pressures at 95 PSI cold as noted on the sticker on the door sill.

I took the coach to my local Dodge dealer to do the recall work and they told me that they cannot do any alignment or tire work on the 5500 series. They suggested a commercial tire center called Black Tire.

The franchise owner of the location looked at the tires and told me that they were worn as they were under inflated. The first thing he did was check the alignment and it was perfect. He checked the tire pressures and they were both at 95PSI. He then asked me if I had rotated the tires and I told him that I did not.

He told me that the HSR tires are probably the best tires you can put on an RV but.....they must be rotated every 7,500 miles. If they are not rotated they will wear as mine have worn. (The wear pattern looked like they were under inflated). The 4 rears were perfect but the two fronts needed to be replaced. So $ 929.00 later, I have two new front tires and I will be getting them rotated every 7,500 miles from now on.

One interesting fact that I would like to get confirmation on from Brian - the gentleman told me that you cannot just switch the front tires with the back tires, on the Ram, the four rims on the back are different that the two rims on the front. To properly do the tire rotation, the tires have to be dismounted off the rims and remounted on the correct rims (front or back).

Can anyone confirm this? If the tires have to be removed from the rims and remounted, they'll have to be re-balanced and it would be more expensive than a standard tire rotation.

He also told me that if it was his RV, he would probably run at 110PSI as per the tire specs. I've always run at 95PSI. I think the ride will be a lot rougher if I was to run them at 110PSI. Not sure if i'll go up, i'll stick with the 95PSI but I'll surely rotate them every 7,500 miles from now on.

Lastly, he said if I rotate them every 7,500 miles, they should last between 60,000-70,000 miles.

So - think about rotating your tires every 7,500 miles.

Go Gators
Rrzasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 03:57 PM   #2

Based on a couple of other threads on here, you are likely under inflated. The Tire Man would tell you to run 100 or more lbs. Harsher ride, but safer ride.

For rotation the aluminum rims can be rotated w/o remounting. Put the two fronts on the rear, you can put the on opposite sides and the outer rears on the front. While doing that take the inner dually (steel rims) and swap sides with them. Viola, all tires are rotated and you didn't pay for a remount. I've done this many times on my past duallies. I've also had many folks tell me to not worry about rotating the rears as they usually wear pretty evenly.

caseymyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 06:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrzasa View Post
Here is some information on our tires on the Isata 5.

I noticed this past weekend that I had unusual wear on the front tires, they were worn on the outsides of each tire all the way down to the wear strips.

I have 31,000 miles on the tires and I keep the tire pressures at 95 PSI cold as noted on the sticker on the door sill.

I took the coach to my local Dodge dealer to do the recall work and they told me that they cannot do any alignment or tire work on the 5500 series. They suggested a commercial tire center called Black Tire.

The franchise owner of the location looked at the tires and told me that they were worn as they were under inflated. The first thing he did was check the alignment and it was perfect. He checked the tire pressures and they were both at 95PSI. He then asked me if I had rotated the tires and I told him that I did not.

He told me that the HSR tires are probably the best tires you can put on an RV but.....they must be rotated every 7,500 miles. If they are not rotated they will wear as mine have worn. (The wear pattern looked like they were under inflated). The 4 rears were perfect but the two fronts needed to be replaced. So $ 929.00 later, I have two new front tires and I will be getting them rotated every 7,500 miles from now on.

One interesting fact that I would like to get confirmation on from Brian - the gentleman told me that you cannot just switch the front tires with the back tires, on the Ram, the four rims on the back are different that the two rims on the front. To properly do the tire rotation, the tires have to be dismounted off the rims and remounted on the correct rims (front or back).

Can anyone confirm this? If the tires have to be removed from the rims and remounted, they'll have to be re-balanced and it would be more expensive than a standard tire rotation.

He also told me that if it was his RV, he would probably run at 110PSI as per the tire specs. I've always run at 95PSI. I think the ride will be a lot rougher if I was to run them at 110PSI. Not sure if i'll go up, i'll stick with the 95PSI but I'll surely rotate them every 7,500 miles from now on.

Lastly, he said if I rotate them every 7,500 miles, they should last between 60,000-70,000 miles.

So - think about rotating your tires every 7,500 miles.

A few Things to Consider.

1.) The Tire Inflation Pressure is usually based on the actual Axle Weight. Have you Rig weighed so you know what the typical weight is on both axles. The Sticker usually mentions (G.A.W.R). Continental has a chart that gives you the correct tire pressure for the load on each tire. The best case scenario is the weighing station can weight the individual tires (Best) Practice.
2.) Most Truck Tire Shops do not know the specifics and are usually poorly informed regarding tire pressure.
3.) Continental has a Warranty Program that most Tire Shops are not aware of that would have probably helped absorb some of the costs. This does not cost the Tire Shop anything. The Tires are shipped back to Continental and they do a warranty adjustment. The refund is issued to the Tire Shop and then they refund you. It Works if the Tire Shop is willing to do it.
I recently did an adjustment on my 225 70R19.5 HSR (6) Tires that had 18,000 miles on them due to hairline cracks in first Tread Row. I had to contact Continental Truck Tire Dealers but most did not want to deal with it.
If the Tire Shop Still has the Tires it might be worth Contacting Continental Truck Tire Warranty and register your complaint.

Good Luck
JAKEMON is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires