Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2018, 01:53 PM   #21

Beautiful install! I'm inspired now......but also a tad concerned about my hubcap warranty.

Looking at Amazon reviews, there seems to be some unhappy customers with the Crossfire. Corrosion of the metal parts seems to be the big sticking point. Curious if you have any feedback now that it's been a while since you installed and put some miles on it.
Old 08-21-2018, 05:23 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLT4SPD View Post
Beautiful install! I'm inspired now......but also a tad concerned about my hubcap warranty.

Looking at Amazon reviews, there seems to be some unhappy customers with the Crossfire. Corrosion of the metal parts seems to be the big sticking point. Curious if you have any feedback now that it's been a while since you installed and put some miles on it.
So far I am happy with the system. I just washed the RV today and the Crossfire looks as good as the day I installed it. I wonder if some of those unhappy customers are using a wheel cleaner. I stay away from those as they are very corrosive and aggressive.

2018 Isata 5 DS
sseaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 03:34 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by sseaner View Post
So far I am happy with the system. I just washed the RV today and the Crossfire looks as good as the day I installed it. I wonder if some of those unhappy customers are using a wheel cleaner. I stay away from those as they are very corrosive and aggressive.
Yeah, I always try to take those reviews with a grain of salt, so it's nice to hear a first hand account from someone who is using it in the same manner I would use it.
Old 08-22-2018, 05:57 PM   #24

tire pressure monitoring

700 miles??? how many hours? what driving speed??
Dick Skeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 03:20 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Skeers View Post
700 miles??? how many hours? what driving speed??
7500 miles....I spent about 1/2 day on the install, I drive at 70 MPH all the time. 100 PSI in the fronts and 95 PSI on the rears

2018 Isata 5 DS
Old 08-23-2018, 03:59 PM   #26

Just ordered a pair for our I5! ....now where did I put that 5" hole saw????
Old 08-25-2018, 06:13 AM   #27

Any info on the Crossfire vs Cats Eye?
fifth wheelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 12:49 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLT4SPD View Post
Just ordered a pair for our I5! ....now where did I put that 5" hole saw????

Great. If you have any questions don’t hesitate to ask.

2018 Isata 5 DS
Old 08-30-2018, 03:48 PM   #29

Quote:
Great. If you have any questions don’t hesitate to ask.
okay.....did you use a floor jack or the leveling jacks when you removed the rear wheels?
Old 08-30-2018, 06:26 PM   #30

I just used the leveling jacks and added jack stands for safety

2018 Isata 5 DS
Old 09-05-2018, 09:43 AM   #31
Commercial Member

Crossfire can make airing tires easier and it eliminates the need for two TPM sensors. BUT it will never provide the driver a warning of air leak while driving down the road. It can take as little as a few minutes for a tire to loose enough air to damage the tire permanently or to end up with a Sidewall flex failure AKA Blowout.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 09:48 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Crossfire can make airing tires easier and it eliminates the need for two TPM sensors. BUT it will never provide the driver a warning of air leak while driving down the road. It can take as little as a few minutes for a tire to loose enough air to damage the tire permanently or to end up with a Sidewall flex failure AKA Blowout.
Thats why you want to order the Crossfire with the three valve setup. Center one for filling and the other two for the TPMS system.

2018 Isata 5 DS
Old 09-05-2018, 10:08 AM   #33
Commercial Member

Quote:
Thats why you want to order the Crossfire with the three valve setup. Center one for filling and the other two for the TPMS system.

While I am not advocating it... Would not an older single valve crossfire allow TPM sensor to be used? It would not identify which tire is leaking but would still give the driver a warning to stop immediately and learn what is wrong?

No TPMS means you continue to drive with one tire leaking or flat till the next time you go look at the crossfire warning indicator. At that point what you know is that you now have two scrap tires. One from running flat and one from running 100% overload.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Old 09-05-2018, 04:20 PM   #34

No it will read the pressure of the good tire. The leaking tire will be isolated and out of the equation.

2018 Isata 5 DS
Old 09-05-2018, 04:30 PM   #35
Commercial Member

Quote:
No it will read the pressure of the good tire. The leaking tire will be isolated and out of the equation.

So I have a better understanding.
Assume a set of duals with 80 psi cold inflationn. The hot inflation might be 89.
What happens when one tires starts to leak with a single valve stem crossfire?
What will the TPMS show?
Old 09-05-2018, 07:01 PM   #36

When I had a tire leak due to a bad steel stem (btw incorrectly installed), the crossfire showed the full tire 10lbs low. The inside was nearly flat, about 25lbs in a tire that's supposed to have 95. I suspect with the isolation valve closed it only reads the good tire.

It was parked when we found it, so no damage to the tires, other than from sitting.

Crossfire isolation valve only allows a 10lb difference. Thus the bad tire will continue to lose air. A rapid loss in a blow out it shuts quicker.

This was on our previous unit with 19.5" wheels.

I use them as a cold tire indicator and still use visual clues at stops and daily checks. The 95lb set I had was 4lbs different than the guage. So cold full was closer to overfill on the crossfires.
Vansteenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 07:58 PM   #37
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vansteenburg View Post
When I had a tire leak due to a bad steel stem (btw incorrectly installed), the crossfire showed the full tire 10lbs low. The inside was nearly flat, about 25lbs in a tire that's supposed to have 95. I suspect with the isolation valve closed it only reads the good tire.

It was parked when we found it, so no damage to the tires, other than from sitting.

Crossfire isolation valve only allows a 10lb difference. Thus the bad tire will continue to lose air. A rapid loss in a blow out it shuts quicker.

This was on our previous unit with 19.5" wheels.

I use them as a cold tire indicator and still use visual clues at stops and daily checks. The 95lb set I had was 4lbs different than the guage. So cold full was closer to overfill on the crossfires.

You are lucky that yo had checked the inflation when you parked. How does a parked wheel develop a leak?
Old 09-06-2018, 07:35 AM   #38

The steel stem on the wheel was incorrectly installed (that what the tech said). Also, when they were changing out the stem for a new one, found out that the sand balance used in the tire requires a special valve specifically made for sand balance. Between the two, the tire would lose 1-10 lbs in a month (or more), so one period we didn't drive it for a while, and the tire lost quite a bit.

Always do a walk around for issues before moving the RV - check tires (look low?), jacks still up (or need to be put up), any fresh leaks, etc. It's habit since my work requires walk arounds even on cars & pickups. Does find bad lights, low tires, etc.
Vansteenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 11:00 AM   #39
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vansteenburg View Post
The steel stem on the wheel was incorrectly installed (that what the tech said). Also, when they were changing out the stem for a new one, found out that the sand balance used in the tire requires a special valve specifically made for sand balance. Between the two, the tire would lose 1-10 lbs in a month (or more), so one period we didn't drive it for a while, and the tire lost quite a bit.

Always do a walk around for issues before moving the RV - check tires (look low?), jacks still up (or need to be put up), any fresh leaks, etc. It's habit since my work requires walk arounds even on cars & pickups. Does find bad lights, low tires, etc.

Your experience with the "sand" balance material is not unique. It seems like some who are selling this alternative to clip-on weights fail to include the special filter valve core/stems as they must fear the extra cost will kill the sale of the balance stuff.
IMO you need to contact the company that installed the balance "stuff". Ask foe compensation for the new valve install. A failure to stand behind their work would IMO justify them being named in a post here and possibly THIS Facebook page on poor RV quality.
Old 09-07-2018, 07:27 AM   #40

Quote:
While I have not installed mine yet, this would be my understanding of the crossfire’s with the 3 valves as well. 1 valve to fill and 1 valve per tire hose for the TPM sensors. The crossfire’s should balance the pressure and your TPMS should show equal pressure between inside and outside tire because that’s what the crossfire’s are designed to do, balance. Once there is a problem, say rapid deflation of one tire,the crossfire’s should isolate the bad tire prevent rapid loss of both tires and your TPMS would show the deflated tire and good tire independently.

Again, that’s my understanding of the crossfire setup with a valve in each hose and subsequent installation of a sensor in each hose and using the center valve for fill.