Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2018, 08:12 AM   #1

Isata 5 Fresh Water, When is it filtered?

It appears, from this fresh water plumbing diagram, that the only time the fresh water runs through the filter (the one that is in the fresh water tank bay) is when it is pumped from the on-board (electric) pump. If you are hooked up to an outside water source through the inlet in the valve box (the one in the wet bay), it's simply plumbed to the coach and does not go through the filter.

Is that correct? Just want to make sure I am reading the drawing correctly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	I5 Fresh Water.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	209.9 KB
ID:	180763  
Old 07-22-2018, 10:51 AM   #2

I think you are right. I use one of those inline water filters you can buy at Walmart, that way you are doing some filtering of the RV Parks water. I don't drink it just wash and cook with it. I change the filter about once a month or so.
Days camped 2021 = 25
caseymyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 11:40 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseymyers View Post
I think you are right. I use one of those inline water filters you can buy at Walmart, that way you are doing some filtering of the RV Parks water. I don't drink it just wash and cook with it. I change the filter about once a month or so.
Good to know. As a relative newbie to this motorhome stuff, I simply saw a water filter next to the fresh water tank and thought "hey great, this coach is filtered. I guess I don't need one of those in-line thingies that I see people using". That'll teach my to open my mouth.....or my inner monologue.
Old 07-24-2018, 09:54 AM   #4

Why do you run straight from the hose and not use the tank? I’ve never used straight from the shore water (boat)! I don’t want “ stale” water in my tank. If I always fill the tank and use the onboard filter system l am always running fresh clorinated water thru the tank and keeping it relatively decontaminated.
Working hard on “elderhood”
RKBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 10:20 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBob View Post
Why do you run straight from the hose and not use the tank? I’ve never used straight from the shore water (boat)! I don’t want “ stale” water in my tank. If I always fill the tank and use the onboard filter system l am always running fresh clorinated water thru the tank and keeping it relatively decontaminated.
In an RV Park I use shore water. While driving I carry about half a tank for flushing and washing needs. If I’m planning on dry camping I fill up the tank. After every trip I empty the tank. I use an in-line hose connect filter for shore water. I never drink any of it. I drink bottled and use bottled for coffee.
Old 07-24-2018, 11:55 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBob View Post

THAT is a really great question! I don’t know why I would or would not use the tank/electric pump vs. the shore supplied water source. I have done very little actual camping with an RV, so this is pretty new to me. At this point, I am just trying to teach myself the systems, how they work and why they work the way they do.

When you have a water hook-up at your camp site, is it “typical” to run from your tank and fill as needed? ….or to put it a better way, is that the “desirable” method?
Old 07-24-2018, 01:28 PM   #7

When you use the tank, you have 'pump' noised and pump pressure. When you have shore water available, you have unlimited water at 50 psi (if you use a regulator and you must) and you have no pump noise. Save you tank water for when you are not hooked up, on the road.

Shore water at an RV park is just a hose away. I just don't drink it.
Days camped 2021 = 25
Old 07-24-2018, 02:09 PM   #8
Commercial Member

As a word of caution...if you don't use a pressure regulator...your Truma will certainly tell you if the pressure is too high. Either that, or it is a "white noise" generator of water sounds.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 02:58 PM   #9

I installed an under sink filter hooked up to cold side of galley faucet. We only use the filtered water for drinking, coffee, etc. when hooked up to city water.
When dry camping we use bottled water for drinking and coffee.
I notice many campers with outside filters. I wonder why you would filter water that is used to shower and flush toilet.
richy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 03:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by richy2 View Post
I installed an under sink filter hooked up to cold side of galley faucet. We only use the filtered water for drinking, coffee, etc. when hooked up to city water.
When dry camping we use bottled water for drinking and coffee.
I notice many campers with outside filters. I wonder why you would filter water that is used to shower and flush toilet.

That's not a bad idea. I like it!
Old 07-24-2018, 03:25 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
As a word of caution...if you don't use a pressure regulator...your Truma will certainly tell you if the pressure is too high. Either that, or it is a "white noise" generator of water sounds.
At what pressure do we receive this white noise?
Old 07-24-2018, 05:18 PM   #12

With the typical hose mounted RV pressure regulator (50 lbs) you won't hear it.
Days camped 2021 = 25
Old 07-24-2018, 08:31 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by richy2 View Post
.....I notice many campers with outside filters. I wonder why you would filter water that is used to shower and flush toilet.
Ice maker comes to mind
Go Gators
Rrzasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 07:23 AM   #14

Good thread. Hadn’t thought about this. Thanks.

Tags
fresh water, water