Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2017, 08:16 PM   #1

Isata 5 Fuel Fill Vent?

When filling up with fuel, the nozzle auto-off keeps getting tripped. It won't run for more than a few, 5-15 seconds before it shuts off again. Makes it very difficult to fuel up.

On the last fill, I can see into the filler neck and fuel is backing up. It surges and bubbles towards the cap and then gulps down. Almost like there's no venting. I don't now how to describe what it might be.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:23 PM   #2

Just to mention that last fill up was at a Pilot fuel stop but I was using the auto pumps, not the big truck.
Old 05-22-2017, 11:04 PM   #3

Isata 5 Fuel Fill Vent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by _jeff View Post
Just to mention that last fill up was at a Pilot fuel stop but I was using the auto pumps, not the big truck.

I have not had that issue. Might trip when tank is almost full and have to top off manually.
Old 05-22-2017, 11:14 PM   #4

Thanks for the reply. I only got it up to 3/4 full according to the dash gauge. Maybe the dash gauge is off? I have a much longer trip planned for the weekend. Will see how it behaves.
Old 05-23-2017, 03:21 PM   #5

Try filling one notch slower on the handle. Some pumps are faster than others. I dont hit them all the time, but sometimes I do and just pump slower.
Old 05-26-2017, 07:08 AM   #6

Because of the length of the fill tube running to the tank this is a problem with the Isata 5. I had the same issue and finally decided that the only solution was patience. I had the same problem at Pilot and Loves with some of the auto pumps that pumped faster. If it happens I do as was mentioned above and slow the filling rate down a notch. Forget trying to use the high speed pumps.
BMW Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 10:13 PM   #7

TL;DR. 20 gals took 45 minutes by hand. Video tomorrow. 9.7mpg

Today was a frustrating day on the road. Tried twice to fill up. First at a Pilot in the auto lane. Next at a Loves. Again in an auto lane. The first attempt it took 45 minutes to put in 20 gallons. On my 2nd try at Loves I was a little frustrated after a few minutes and only 4 gals.

Yes I'm trying to use the fastest setting on the handle. I've tried using only the first click. I've tried feathering it by hand barely opening the flow. With all the back pressure and air gulps the fuel foams until its running back out the filler neck and down the side of the coach. I had a pretty sizable puddle underneath me until it just wasn't safe to stand there.

We put about 300 miles on today so with the fuel I had already in the tank plus what I was able to get in there. We made today's destination no problem.

Tomorrow we have another ~300 miles to reach our our final stop for the weekend. Going to try a Walmart station in the morning and just gut it out until we're full or the lake of diesel under me is creeping in the top of my shoes

Will post video of tomorrow's results.

We did average ~9.7 mpg on pretty flat interstate between Fort Worth and Little Rock with gusty winds
Old 05-26-2017, 10:18 PM   #8

Thanks for sharing BMW Rider. I just haven't found which leg to stand on while facing north with my tongue out.
Old 05-27-2017, 07:11 AM   #9

Even with the long neck etc your issue does not sound close to normal. While I cannot fill up at the high speed truck pumps I have had no problem at the auto pumps. It sounds like there may be some type of restriction in the fill tube. Have you inspected it to see if there is anything that is visually obvious? With a tank in excess of 50 gallons it could take you forever to fill it if is close to empty.

We had a couple of unusual issues with our Isata 5 when we first got it. Fortunately I was able to fix them. Sounds like its time to visit a dealership for service.
Old 05-27-2017, 08:08 AM   #10

Even with the car lanes I have been to a few stations where I had the same problem.
Our 5 has two tanks and it always more of a problem with the front tank. I usually put as much as I can in the front ant then fill the back. Normally can fill at car lanes using the lowest speed click.
Old 05-28-2017, 11:05 AM   #11

TL;DR. Better results. 28 gals in 21 minutes with manual fill at Walmart. Big storms in Tennessee but cool and drier today. Will schedule a dealer service when we get back. Thank you for sharing your experiences.

Apologies for not posting yesterday. It was a long, stormy day in places and we didn't get to the campground until late. I was too tired to "internet".

Yesterday's results however were decided more positive. We were able to fill up twice. 28 gals in 21 minutes at a Walmart Murphy station. Still had to hand feather the fill lever with moderate foamy back ups. The 2nd station we stopped at was just a small independent but we were able to get ~36 gals in a "reasonable" time but very minimal foaming.

The difference between the Walmart and the independent station? Walmart was B20, 5-20% bio-diesel, and the no B number. Does the bio-diesel by nature produce foam? Maybe a B sticker at the 2nd station was missing but it was a curious difference.

I have some video of the first fill but I don't want to beat a dead horse. From the discussion here I think I just need to visit my dealer. I have some other minor fixes so when I get back, time to schedule an appointment.

Thank for sharing your experiences with me. I'll post any findings after the dealer looks at it.
Old 05-28-2017, 12:37 PM   #12

I too picked up are new isata 5 on Thursday and went to fill up Friday and has same isssue. Took us 60
Min to get 45 gallons. I hope the rep is reading this and has a suggestion. There has to be an issue.
Ctoth11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 01:52 PM   #13

The max flow rate of the auto pumps is about 10 gal per minute. My Isata 5 allows me to fill at the auto pumps with the flow rate at maximum. To take 60 minutes to pump 45 gallons makes no sense.
Old 05-28-2017, 03:54 PM   #14

Congrats Ctoth11. This has been the first "real" issue we've had with ours. Otherwise it's been really really fun.
Old 05-28-2017, 03:55 PM   #15

@BMW Rider it makes no sense at all.
Old 05-28-2017, 04:51 PM   #16
Just as confused as you

Straight diesel foams when filling tanks. The faster you pump, more it foams. I've been fueling farm tractors and construction equipment since 10yo, long before biodiesel. I'm 64 now.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 05:10 PM   #17
Commercial Member

The only thing I can think of is a kink or partially kinked hose. Single tank or two tank?

If two tank, is it a problem on both?

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 05:54 PM   #18

Thanks Scrapper. Then what I'm seeing, at least the foaming part, must be normal to a degree.
Old 05-28-2017, 11:25 PM   #19

I have one tank in my 2018 4x4.
Old 05-30-2017, 02:54 AM   #20

The universe threw us a curve today. Stopped at a station along I40 that only had diesel at the big truck pumps. I put the fill nozzle in, set the lever on the first (slowest) click stop. Expected it to kick off after a few seconds but it pumped 28 gals in just a few minutes without stopping. I will try to duplicate the results tomorrow.

Tags
fuel, vent