Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2018, 12:39 PM   #1

Isata 5 - How is cabin noise level?

For those of you that have spent time in the Isata 5, can you please share your thoughts on cabin noise level relative to other motor homes?

When on the road, is the combination of the Ram cab/CTD quieter than the Ford E450 cab/V10?

Thank you.
content is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 01:17 PM   #2

We've only had our Isata 5 about 6 months and have traveled about 2000 miles so far, and it's very quiet in the cab. I found it to be quieter than anything with a Ford V10. Back in the coach, it's just as noisy as about anything else.
jdebevec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 01:57 PM   #3
JGB

We have the Isata 35 DS with less than 4,500 mile on three trips. We are very pleased with the ride and noise level in the cab. This is our first RV so I can't compare it to the Ford but we are very satisfied with the overall performance getting close to 10 MPG without the Toad and close to 9 MPG towing the Toad. We have a friend with the gasoline V-10 Pickup and he does not get anywhere near the MPG when towing with a lot less torque, which was definitely an advantage in the mountains.
JGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 02:07 PM   #4

With all windows closed, our Isata 5 cab is more quiet than our previous A class Adventurer V10 Ford, our Avanti A class front engine diesel (Freightliner M22 chassis) and our C class View on a Sprinter chassis.
I5PhilGa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 03:29 PM   #5

You wont find a quieter or smoother ride than the Isata 5.

2018 Isata 5 DS
sseaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 04:54 PM   #6

Thank you for the replies above. Good to hear about the noise level relative to the Sprinter chassis too. I was wondering about that.

We had a 2015 Ram 2500 CTD, and towed bumper pulls and a fifth wheel. It was a great truck. both as daily driver and tow vehicle. We recently traded it for a Ram 2500 Power Wagon for better offroad capability, and we are now researching possible Class C rigs. Renting some different sizes to see what meets our needs. We tried a 30' E450 Four Winds that seemed fairly noisy in the cab, and have been hoping there is something with a quieter cab.

Thanks again!
Old 12-30-2018, 12:01 AM   #7

I guess I was spoiled with a 17 Super Duty Platinum that was quieter than most luxury cars. You could hear a pin drop on a radio program. My 5 now after I revamped the cab cutout area with all the loose wires and stuff is quite a bit nicer in the cab area. I have worked on the coach area, the only thing noticeable (but better) is wind noise from the coach door. There is one owner that put some airbags on the front and supposed to the same on rear axle, and I think it probably quieted his coach down.
dannko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 12:32 PM   #8

What Scott said; and if you need help with squeaks and rattles let me know I found them and fixed them. Some were really bad but now we ride pretty quiet.
Days camped 2021 = 25
caseymyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 02:44 PM   #9
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugawi View Post
For those of you that have spent time in the Isata 5, can you please share your thoughts on cabin noise level relative to other motor homes?

When on the road, is the combination of the Ram cab/CTD quieter than the Ford E450 cab/V10?

Thank you.
I used to ONLY build E450's for 10 years (so that's all I ever drove)...the 5500 is WAY quieter than the E450 for lots of reasons.

1. Van cab, the engine sits HALF inside the cabin. That big dog house covers the back half of the engine. In the 5500 the cab itself is larger because the engine sits out in front and not "half in-half out"

2. The E450 is a V10

3. The E450 is gas...so to get the same amount of power you are running a MUCH higher RPM, which means more noise.

I always found that with the E450 if you sat at around 55 you were fine. Once you hit 60-65, it made it difficult to carry on conversations because the RPM's had to climb. Still perfectly fine, I never had any issues.

With the Ram...I barely noticed a change in the engine noise when I increased speed. I was running 65-70 a lot of time and had no issues carrying on conversations in the cab.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 04:56 PM   #10

Thank you Brian! The Dynamax user community is very fortunate to have your active participation and support.

How is the cabin noise level of the Isata 3 Mercedes chassis relative to the Isata 5 (assuming we could get by with less space, towing capacity, and cargo capacity).
Old 01-02-2019, 05:00 PM   #11
Commercial Member

3L versus 6.7L, I'm sure the 5500 has more cabin noise than then Isata 3, but frankly I have never been in a situation where I noticed either one of them. As in I don't recall ever diving either and saying "this is sort of loud". Both are pretty quiet in my mind, but I would say test drive one to be sure. Everyone has a different opinion/

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 08:56 PM   #12

We traded in a Sprinter last summer on our Isata 5 (it was a Jayco on the Sprinter chassis, not a Dynamax). The engine in the Sprinter was very quiet, you could hardly ever hear it. But there was a lot of road noise in the cab and I found that you had to turn up the radio quite a bit to hear it.
jdebevec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 09:39 PM   #13

noise level depends on what you are comparing. our Alpine diesel pusher was much much quieter than our 30fw. however, on our drive today from the salton sea to borrego springs, on a very rough road, the 5 drove much more securely and nicer, and that's with sumo springs and an up graded rear sway bar, than our Alpine. trade offs.

also it was very windy east bound on I/10 today coming into palm springs, and the I/5 was much more stable than our alpine or our pickup campers.

However, the 5 is definitely loud, especially on worn concrete at approx 62 mph. plus, the engine noise is noticeable, but not over all too objectional.

fyi, we have approx 21,000 miles on our 30fw
Dick Skeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 07:33 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdebevec View Post
We traded in a Sprinter last summer on our Isata 5 (it was a Jayco on the Sprinter chassis, not a Dynamax). The engine in the Sprinter was very quiet, you could hardly ever hear it. But there was a lot of road noise in the cab and I found that you had to turn up the radio quite a bit to hear it.
Although we're currently with a competitor's MB RV, I'm going to +1 the quote above.

The MB diesel purrs relatively quietly. Even when climbing mountains, it's not too bad at all.

But, the road, wind and cacophony of chassis noises are considerable.
I measured our RV : 78 decibels, A weighted @ 55mph. I've managed to get it down to 72 dbA with various Dynamat/3M stick on products, but, its' still quite loud.

To put this decibel level in perspective, 78 decibels-A weighted is the same as a cordless hand drill running at full speed in your hand...for 5 minutes it's not too bad, but, driving from Ontario to California ?
Disclosure : I'm a musician/sound engineer.
chaching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 09:41 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaching View Post
Although we're currently with a competitor's MB RV, I'm going to +1 the quote above.

The MB diesel purrs relatively quietly. Even when climbing mountains, it's not too bad at all.

But, the road, wind and cacophony of chassis noises are considerable.
I measured our RV : 78 decibels, A weighted @ 55mph. I've managed to get it down to 72 dbA with various Dynamat/3M stick on products, but, its' still quite loud.

To put this decibel level in perspective, 78 decibels-A weighted is the same as a cordless hand drill running at full speed in your hand...for 5 minutes it's not too bad, but, driving from Ontario to California ?
Disclosure : I'm a musician/sound engineer.
Thank you for this perspective! I appreciate good analysis and comparison! I wish this type of info was available to compare different units.
Old 02-10-2019, 06:06 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
3L versus 6.7L, I'm sure the 5500 has more cabin noise than then Isata 3, but frankly I have never been in a situation where I noticed either one of them. As in I don't recall ever diving either and saying "this is sort of loud". Both are pretty quiet in my mind, but I would say test drive one to be sure. Everyone has a different opinion/
As we continue to consider Isata 5 vs. Force HD 34KD, can you also please share cabin noise and ride perspective of Isata 5 vs. Force HD? We are trying to find the closest location with both to test drive, but until then would appreciate the perspective and experience of anybody who has driven in both cabs. Thanks again.
Old 02-10-2019, 06:10 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugawi View Post
As we continue to consider Isata 5 vs. Force HD 34KD, can you also please share cabin noise and ride perspective of Isata 5 vs. Force HD? We are trying to find the closest location with both to test drive, but until then would appreciate the perspective and experience of anybody who has driven in both cabs. Thanks again.
The 5 cabin noise is just like driving a RAM p/u with the diesel engine. I'd call it quiet, p/u quiet, not luxury sedan quiet. Can't speak for the Force or DX.
Days camped 2021 = 25
caseymyers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
noise