Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2016, 02:22 PM   #1

Isata 5 OCCC

I am curious who the Isata 5 was designed for and is being target marketed to?

I was reading through an article published in Family Motor Coaching and was becoming enthusiastic about purchasing an Isata 5.

Near the end of the article the author reported that the reviewed unit had an OCCC of 1,568 lbs. However, I don't think they verified the OCCC at the weight scales.

That would probably be fairly easy for me to exceed during a three month trip once or twice a year with my wife. I'm not sure I want to tow a trailer or storage truck. I know I can lose about 30 lbs to help, but my wife is already pretty thin. Unfortunately my Boxer adds another 75 lbs before his storage needs kick in.

I read in this forum that the quality of materials and amenities are at about the desired minimum for that unit, but that one of the two fuel tanks is being eliminated to increase occc by 200 lbs.

My goal is an OCCC somewhere closer to 3,500 lbs.

I understand that some owners ignore CCC on the belief that there is plenty of wiggle room in reported numbers, but that is not my plan.

I suspect I need to be looking at a Force, rather than an Isata 5.
Philos3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 03:15 PM   #2

I know someone who owned one similar to the one you are considering a few years ago and after a long trip cross country they sold it and got a full size motorhome.
Reason that the diesel wasn't that powerful and the fuel tank was way too small for any long travels. Exterior storage was minimal and they always had to put picnic chairs inside while travelling.

For that kind of money for either have you looked at the Georgetown Class A's? $120,000 to $160,000
Price wise you get a lot more for your money unless you want a diesel then maybe looking at a Berkshire

Good luck
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 04:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
I know someone who owned one of these a few years ago and after a long trip cross country they sold it and got a full size motorhome.
Reason that the diesel wasn't that powerful and the fuel tank was way too small for any long travels. Exterior storage was minimal and they always had to put picnic chairs inside while travelling.

For that kind of money for either have you looked at the Georgetown Class A's? $120,000 to $160,000
Price wise you get a lot more for your money unless you want a diesel then maybe looking at a Berkshire

Good luck
The Cummins isb in the Isata 5 isn't as powerful or fuel efficient as the v10 triton in the Georgetown? You obviously have the Isata 5 mixed up with another product! Because 10 out of 10 people will take the Cummins 6.7 diesel over any triton v10 gasser.

If you knew someone that owned an Isata 5 a few years ago, he must have been a time traveler. If I'm not mistaken, Dynamax introduced it only a year ago.
Hoosierdaddy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 04:36 PM   #4

Iggy,
You didn't say what that person owned, but I appreciate that your suggestion considers my intended use. So, thanks.

For $120k to $160k I can also easily buy a used luxury diesel pusher and I have the skills to do the necessary house inspection. I can hire chassis, engine, and water damage inspectors...And repair/maintain the house section of the MH myself...unless I need a second pair of hands or special equipment.

However, my wife likes the concept of a super C truck cab and the diesel cummins engine up front, which is why we originally were looking at the Dynamax Force and DX3, among others. (engine up front in case of a front end crash or fire, easy to access to repair)

Yet, I really am curious to know what owners the Isata 5 would be well-matched to with that level of OCCC? Maybe pulling a high speed boat on a trailer for a week-end trip, with the trailer having some storage capability?
Old 10-01-2016, 05:12 PM   #5

Never seen an Isata. You dont mean Itasca do you?
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 05:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by donniedu View Post
Never seen an Isata. You dont mean Itasca do you?
I looked it up. It's correct.
Isata 5 Motorhomes by Dynamax RV
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 05:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
I know someone who owned one similar to the one you are considering a few years ago and after a long trip cross country they sold it and got a full size motorhome.

Good luck

We took our ISATA 5 on a 1 month trip around the Sierras and while towing a car, we passed all gas coaches going up those steep grades with ease. Full range is around 700+ miles on a full tank of diesel. I averaged around 10 MPH per gallon on the trip.

The ISATA 5 is a new build and only came out in October 2015 at the Pomona, CA RV show with only a Demo model built at the time.
kaulick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 05:37 PM   #8

the answers are interesting
Old 10-01-2016, 05:42 PM   #9

Kaulick
What is the OCCC of your coach? How easy was it for you to stay within your OCCC during your one month trip?
Old 10-03-2016, 10:02 PM   #10

The OCCC in the coach that was featured in the magazine was 1,568, that coach was the prototype and Dynamax knew they had to trim the weight for the OCCC. They removed the rear compartment, removed the granite on the dinette, overhead bed sides, bathroom and only left it on the counter top. They also shaved off pounds in other areas. How do I know? The coach featured was the prototype the debut at the 2015 Pomona show and was the first one ever made. We placed out order at that show and the Dynamax rep went through and showed us everything they were removing or replacing with lighter material to shave off 1500+ pounds. The original prototype we saw was 36+ feet, the current model is under 35".

We packed everything you would need a long RV trip plus a tow car. I never leave the fresh water full when driving or the Black and Gray Tanks if I can dump them before moving to the next camp site. We had no issues and that Dodge 5500 Chassis is a work horse. Even has exhaust brakes which helps a lot for traveling down hill which we did coming down from Yosemite.
Old 10-04-2016, 09:00 AM   #11

Kaulick,
Thanks for your reply. This was my first post on this forum. I'm still planning on buying either a Force or Isata 5.

I'm not surprised and I'm happy that you had a good trip, that you had room for everything. One of the reasons I have been seriously considering an Isata 5 is that I'm very familiar with the Ram 3500 and have a lot of respect for it.

I am hoping someone will post the actual OCCC number for their coach.

Before I posted, I had talked to a couple of dealers and the Isata 5's on their lots were still around occc of 1500 lbs. I also spoke to someone at the factory and they said that with whatever changes they were making, as recently as last month of September 2016, they would not get anywhere close to occc 3,000 lbs for the Isata 5, which sounds inconsistent with the representations of some of the salesmen you spoke with (why am I not surprised?).

If this sounds disrespectful to you, it isn't, but I want to actually confirm the posted occc number off one of the coaches.

Personally, I would weigh my fully loaded coach to confirm I was within the occc guidelines, should I buy an Isata 5 one and take a trip. Actually, I would do that with any coach I owned.

My assumption, that hasn't been changed at this point, is that if I were to buy an Isata 5, I'm going to have to find a way to tow some stored items behind me to stay within the occc guidelines.
Old 10-04-2016, 09:54 AM   #12

No disrespect at all. My ISATA 5 has been in the shop for a few days getting some minor warranty work done on it or I would've looked to get you the posted number. Just going off what I was told when the original prototype debut last October 15. We do flat tow behind the RV and use the car for storage as well. When we travel there is 3 of us, 2 adults and 1 child and again we leave the fresh water empty (So far since every campground we have stayed at had a fill station.)

You can't beat the Dodge chassis with the Cummings engine and the 6 speed trans. You have me thinking now and might take it to a way station the next time we are loaded up to see where we are at.
Old 10-04-2016, 10:32 AM   #13
Commercial Member

There is no way to get anywhere close to 3500lbs of CCC on a 36' unit.

The typical goal for any chassis is 10%.

If you need to get 3500lbs of CCC, your only option is the M2 chassis. (Force and up). If we build a 30' Isata 5 (which is on the table), you're probably 2500lbs...maybe a little more.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 10:45 AM   #14

Kaulick,
You probably know this, but after you verify your OCCC and your actual loaded weight on the scales, be sure you check both front and rear axle loaded weights to verify neither of the axles are overloaded. You can be within OCCC and have an overloaded axle.

Over in the Newmar forums, there was a big dust up a while back as owners of new model dp Newmar Dutch Stars discovered to their great amazement that it was easy to overload their front axles. Newmar eventually upgraded the front axles to respond to the problem and offer prospective owners an upgrade option.

Initially Newmar replied to the problem as being an owner issue from the viewpoint that it was assumed the owners would be towing storage. Because that presumption was not identified on their sales materials or contracts, it didn't wash very well with me...fitness for intended purpose/usage.
Old 10-04-2016, 10:57 AM   #15

Thanks bclemens,

Very useful information. I will focus on a Force. I want to tow an SUV behind me, but not worry about using it for storage.

Also appreciate the rule of thumb...first I've heard of this stat...I can use that info.

Possible I might tow a Ram 2500 behind me...

I have weight concerns because I will be bringing quite a few tools with me and heavy cooking utensils that will weigh up quickly.

Quality weighs up quickly.
Old 10-04-2016, 10:59 AM   #16

Brian what did the CCC go up to when you removed the back storage and all the granite dinette and other pieces that were in the demo model that was at the Pomona RV show last year?
Old 10-04-2016, 12:30 PM   #17
Commercial Member

The demo model did not have accurate weights. When FMCA asked for CCC, we gave them calculated weights for a production model, not a "one off" proto.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 06:04 PM   #18

We pulled a crew cab Ram 4x4 before with our Force, now we pull a Wrangler unlimited or a 25' enclosed trailer. Have not weighed it because I dont want to have to tell my parents they cant go with us. Lol.

2016 Dynamax Force. Just-Rite2
Old 10-04-2016, 07:23 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by halla View Post
We pulled a crew cab Ram 4x4 before with our Force, now we pull a Wrangler unlimited or a 25' enclosed trailer. Have not weighed it because I dont want to have to tell my parents they cant go with us. Lol.

What's ccc on the force?

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
Bring Back The Search!
Old 10-04-2016, 08:12 PM   #20

Isata 5 OCCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by halla View Post

Whoops

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
Bring Back The Search!