Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2018, 01:37 PM   #1

Isata 5 Refrigerator On/Off Switch

I got tired of going to the bedroom to flip the breaker when I wanted to turn the refrigerator off so I installed a on/off switch in the panel under the pantry (pictures below). I tapped into the existing outlet under the bottom kitchen drawer, looped it through the switch and back to a new outlet to serve only the refrigerator.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0208.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	191150   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0209.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	191151  
I5PhilGa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 04:38 PM   #2

Is that for boon docking?

2018 Isata 5 DS
sseaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 05:12 PM   #3

The refrigerator can be turned off using the knob inside the refrigerator or turning off the inverter. Why the need for a separate switch or to turn if off?
Old 11-10-2018, 06:31 PM   #4

Posted by Whaleness:The refrigerator can be turned off using the knob inside the refrigerator or turning off the inverter. Why the need for a separate switch or to turn if off?

No sir, our Frigidare does not shut off by turning the knob inside to "0", the compressor still cycles on and off. We have been opening the breaker while traveling (summertime) and don't open the refrigerator to maintain temp inside. We do start the generator to run the front AC as needed and I don't want to subject the refrigerator compressor to unnecessary power operations.

Posted by sseaner: Is that for boon docking?

Yes Scott, we do "dry camp" a lot in our National Forests and at NASCAR races so this allows us to turn just the refrigerator off when using the inverter to conserve batteries. The breaker serving the refrigerator also feeds the tv's (front and outside) and some other outlets.

I just thought I would share my modification. It works for us!
Old 11-10-2018, 08:04 PM   #5

Do you have solar panels?
Old 11-10-2018, 08:19 PM   #6

You know your alternator charges the house batteries as you go down the road in addition to the solar if you have it. You really only need to turn off the fridge while boon docking if necessary. Actually a residential fridge is not designed to be repeatedly power cycled off. It’s better for it if you just leave it on.

2018 Isata 5 DS
Old 11-10-2018, 09:49 PM   #7

Yes Scott, it's better to leave it on.....or to leave it off. I do not normally travel with the inverter "on". I like to keep the batteries fully charged and ready to operate the slides. As I said earlier, I do cycle the generator on and off while traveling to run the front AC unit. As I worked for the power company for 42 years I am also aware that voltage fluctuations and frequent interruptions take a toll on compressors and electronic controls. For this reason I am more comfortable leaving the refrigerator off the majority of the time. I really don't want to have to replace the refrigerator any time soon.......similar I guess to your angst about slide motors.
Old 11-10-2018, 10:50 PM   #8

I just like to keep my beer really cold!

2018 Isata 5 DS
Old 11-11-2018, 10:37 AM   #9

I like the switch you installed, our fridge will not turn off with the internal knob either. I like your mod, please post us a wiring diagram, I'm not handy with ohms law.
Days camped 2021 = 25
caseymyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 03:00 PM   #10

Posted by Casey Myers: I like the switch you installed, our fridge will not turn off with the internal knob either. I like your mod, please post us a wiring diagram, I'm not handy with ohms law.

Will post a diagram tomorrow when I get home Casey. You must know a few things about ohm's law if you are building an entertainment center!
Old 11-11-2018, 04:23 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by I5PhilGa View Post
Posted by Casey Myers: I like the switch you installed, our fridge will not turn off with the internal knob either. I like your mod, please post us a wiring diagram, I'm not handy with ohms law.

Will post a diagram tomorrow when I get home Casey. You must know a few things about ohm's law if you are building an entertainment center!
LOL. I know enough that I can’t get the front TV to use the Samsung HTIAB for movies and surround sound but just the TV speakers when not watching a movie all the while leaving a connection to the HTIAB for the bedroom TV to watch movies. And I completely gave up on connecting TVs to the Satellite antenna. I either watch OTA TV or cable if the RV Park supplies it. Otherwise I read. ;-)
Old 11-11-2018, 04:23 PM   #12

Here you go. Just pretend the lightbulb is the fridge and the opposite end is the plug.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-11-11 at 3.22.08 PM.png
Views:	76
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	191208  

2018 Isata 5 DS
Old 11-11-2018, 06:15 PM   #13

Where’s the fridge plugged in? Is that outlet where you tapped in for the added switch?
Days camped 2021 = 25
Old 11-12-2018, 01:03 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseymyers View Post
LOL. I know enough that I can’t get the front TV to use the Samsung HTIAB for movies and surround sound but just the TV speakers when not watching a movie all the while leaving a connection to the HTIAB for the bedroom TV to watch movies. And I completely gave up on connecting TVs to the Satellite antenna. I either watch OTA TV or cable if the RV Park supplies it. Otherwise I read. ;-)
back to why we need a schematic for the entire electronics systems. I stood for 30 minutes just trying to figure what HDMI they have the dvd player hooked to and which it is on the matrix switcher. I am an old electronics expert, but without a schematic it's hours of testing.
dannko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 01:38 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannko View Post
back to why we need a schematic for the entire electronics systems. I stood for 30 minutes just trying to figure what HDMI they have the dvd player hooked to and which it is on the matrix switcher. I am an old electronics expert, but without a schematic it's hours of testing.
Exactly, and frustrated I finally gave up. Like I said, I watch OTA, cable or read a book. If I were to play a movie I have to pull the HDMI splitter off and move the HDMI cable to ARC and feed that to the HTIAB Samsung blue ray player. Which of course then cuts out the Bedroom TV. One of the big bus motor homes I've owned had a big distribution panel/switch up front, everything was labeled and everything worked very simply. I didn't need a BSEE degree to operate my entertainment system.
Days camped 2021 = 25
Old 11-12-2018, 09:31 AM   #16

Posted by Casey Myers: Where’s the fridge plugged in? Is that outlet where you tapped in for the added switch?

Yes, the fridge outlet is located under and behind the bottom drawer below the stove. It has two (romex) cables coming into the box, mounted to the floor. This outlet is for the refrigerator and the outside tv. I tapped into these wires (actually replaced it with a larger outlet box to have room to add the (romex) cable going to the switch, then to a new outlet box to serve just the refrigerator. I am working on a diagram if you still need it. I believe my 36DS was built just prior to yours (Serial #SGC002400) so the location of the outlet should be in the same place. I understand Dynamax makes running changes throughout production so I believe that's why is is difficult for them to provide useful and accurate wiring diagrams for each specific unit.
Old 11-12-2018, 10:04 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by I5PhilGa View Post
Posted by Casey Myers: Where’s the fridge plugged in? Is that outlet where you tapped in for the added switch?

Yes, the fridge outlet is located under and behind the bottom drawer below the stove. It has two (romex) cables coming into the box, mounted to the floor. This outlet is for the refrigerator and the outside tv. I tapped into these wires (actually replaced it with a larger outlet box to have room to add the (romex) cable going to the switch, then to a new outlet box to serve just the refrigerator. I am working on a diagram if you still need it. I believe my 36DS was built just prior to yours (Serial #SGC002400) so the location of the outlet should be in the same place. I understand Dynamax makes running changes throughout production so I believe that's why is is difficult for them to provide useful and accurate wiring diagrams for each specific unit.
Thanks for the help. Yes mine was delivered in June: SGC002519
Days camped 2021 = 25
Old 11-12-2018, 12:57 PM   #18
Commercial Member

I believe the ends of the HDMI cables are color coded. Have you tried looking at the colors? (should be a small color band on them)

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 04:32 PM   #19

Never thought of that I'll look.
Days camped 2021 = 25

Tags
refrigerator, switch