Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2018, 11:57 PM   #1

Isata 5 Repair update

Picked up my problem child today... some of the positives:

1. Frig ice maker fixed, waterline was never properly installed.

2. 2 of the three windows replaced, one came in shattered, Dynamax supposedly shipped a replacement next day but it never showed. Interestingly the windows are also insulated, I was told they didn't exist... yet here they are, much better then the originals. No more rubbing.

3. They sanded down the frame rails removing the rust, primed and repainted. Ton of work that shouldn't have needed to be done so soon.

4. Door now closes properly, pic below of the foam/sealer they had to scrape out to set the frame properly. No need to replace the door.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4840.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	190.7 KB
ID:	173369

5. Bonus: they built shelves in the cabinets, much better. This is how they should leave the factory. Pic below.

Name:	IMG_4837.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	278.8 KB
ID:	173370Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4838.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	228.6 KB
ID:	173371

Now the bad:

1. Awning still leaks. The mount is in two pieces, no one knows why. Leaking where they meet. They sealed the crap out of it and it still leaks. Looks like they will have to take it all apart and replace mount with one piece. They also think there is no butyl behind it.

Name:	IMG_4835.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	268.3 KB
ID:	173372

2. Sometimes the power doesn't shut down via disconnect. Also when closing the awning random interior lights came one... Chris disconnected the coach batteries completely and the interior power was still on. This is a big problem.

3. Power door lock won't learn key fob.

4. Still have the creaking over the bunk, apparently just how the coach is mounted to the chassis.

And the last issue, driveline noise vibration is still present.

So there will be another trip back to dealer in the near future.
vrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 06:58 AM   #2

About your comment of having power in the rig after disconnecting the batteries. My DX3 will do the same thing, if I disconnect the batteries at the manual disconnect I will still have power for short period of time. When I posted about this Brian replied that there is a device (can't remember the name) that allows the rig to connect chassis and house batteries for charging purposes. After you turn off your manual disconnect turn on something that uses a fair amout of power ( not LED light) and the power should disconnect shortly.
Webefine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 07:34 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webefine View Post
About your comment of having power in the rig after disconnecting the batteries. My DX3 will do the same thing, if I disconnect the batteries at the manual disconnect I will still have power for short period of time. When I posted about this Brian replied that there is a device (can't remember the name) that allows the rig to connect chassis and house batteries for charging purposes. After you turn off your manual disconnect turn on something that uses a fair amout of power ( not LED light) and the power should disconnect shortly.

That was mentioned before. Problem is that it still has power hours later... it doesn't make any sense. We are thinking the same, it's pulling from the chassis batteries but it shouldn't be.
Old 05-27-2018, 09:25 AM   #4

We have same issue. Draw on batteries with disconnect off, inverter off. In Nov had our RV in for service. Went to check it. Voltage was at 5V. Had issue trying to store for winter as well.
Old 05-27-2018, 01:02 PM   #5

Isata 5 Repair update

Programming key fob to new door key pad. Read the instructions carefully. If I remember correctly, after entering program mode it says wait a few seconds. I had to link the key fob immediately after entering program mode. Took me a few times to get it to work but was able to link.
Keep trying.
Old 05-27-2018, 02:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMort View Post
We have same issue. Draw on batteries with disconnect off, inverter off. In Nov had our RV in for service. Went to check it. Voltage was at 5V. Had issue trying to store for winter as well.

The whole thing is very strange. We had to disconnect the chassis batteries to get everything to shut down. Auxiliary 2 is supposed to provide power to the coach if need be, the problem is it appears it's providing power intermittently regardless of whether the switch is on or off.
Old 05-27-2018, 02:30 PM   #7

Isata 5 battery drain

We had the battery drain problem with our 2018 Isata 5 36ds. We store inside so the solar doesn't help. I was turning off the inverter and the baterry drained. The storage people were supposed to leave it plugged in. I then tried the battery disconnect and again the house batteries were almost dead a couple of weeks later. I had problems with my slides. The controlers lost their memory stops. Talked with the service dept at dealer. The circuit where your microwave is live anyway to power the precision plex and the slide controllers to maintain there memory. So now I have the storage center plugging it in and I unplug the microwave and tvs. I Don't use the disconnect. Then I find out leaving it plugged in long term storage is hard on your transfer switch. These are expensive. So now i have a 3 stage battery charger/maintainer hooked up to the batteries directly to save the transfer switch. The battery charger brought my batteries back pretty good, but I probably wont get 3 years out of the 4 of them like I planned. Don't know if everything the dealer told me is 100%, but it's working so far.
Isatago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 10:31 PM   #8

Who said leaving the coach plugged in is hard on the components. The inverter/charger is designed to do just that.

2018 Isata 5 DS
sseaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 09:44 AM   #9

Scott
What I was told was that the Transfer switch is what fails and that they are several hundred or more to replace. No one told me about problems with the inverter chargering system. I'm not mechanically inclined so I depend on others. Always curious as to if I am getting the right info. That is why I post here so I can learn. Im told that the transfer switch transfers the power from our different power sources ie, batteries + inverter, shore power, and generator.
Is that correct?

Steve

2018 Isata 5
Isatago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 02:20 PM   #10

A transfer switch only transfers power between shore power and the generator.
Old 05-28-2018, 04:49 PM   #11

I leave my unit plugged in all the time and the fridge is on. That way I am charging the batteries, and the fridge is cold when I show up. I don’t have to empty it every trip (beer always cold) and if the fridge fails for any reason I get an alert.

2018 Isata 5 DS
Old 05-28-2018, 07:15 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sseaner View Post
I leave my unit plugged in all the time and the fridge is on. That way I am charging the batteries, and the fridge is cold when I show up. I don’t have to empty it every trip (beer always cold) and if the fridge fails for any reason I get an alert.

x2. This is the third coach that we leave plugged in 24/7. The fridge stays on, the batteries charge. So far no issues with any components or even the batteries.
Old 05-29-2018, 10:07 AM   #13
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrunner View Post
2. 2 of the three windows replaced, one came in shattered, Dynamax supposedly shipped a replacement next day but it never showed. Interestingly the windows are also insulated, I was told they didn't exist... yet here they are, much better then the originals. No more rubbing.
We overnighted the windows and that is the one that shattered. So we sent a new one via ground. I know some people think overnight is the way to go...in many cases we end up sending things twice.

And yes, those are insulated. And yes, they did not exist for those size windows, we had never been built for us before. As I said when this all started. I can ship new windows to take care of the overlap issue, quickly, it most likely will not come back, or I can create a new part number for a window that we have never ordered in dual pane to be safe.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 11:53 AM   #14

Isata 5 Repair update

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
We overnighted the windows and that is the one that shattered. So we sent a new one via ground. I know some people think overnight is the way to go...in many cases we end up sending things twice.

And yes, those are insulated. And yes, they did not exist for those size windows, we had never been built for us before. As I said when this all started. I can ship new windows to take care of the overlap issue, quickly, it most likely will not come back, or I can create a new part number for a window that we have never ordered in dual pane to be safe.

Dan's last email stated the originals would be the only option, so that was what we all expected, however nice to see they were insulated. Hopefully you will starting putting them in all units, much better than the originals.

Any ideas on the cut off? Dealer doesn't know what the issue is.
Old 05-29-2018, 12:32 PM   #15
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrunner View Post
Dan's last email stated the originals would be the only option, so that was what we all expected, however nice to see they were insulated. Hopefully you will starting putting them in all units, much better than the originals.

Any ideas on the cut off? Dealer doesn't know what the issue is.
We will not be installing those windows. Not unless we can find more CCC. The money is not the issue, they are more money, but not terrible. it's the weight. They are about double the weight. So on one hand we get crucified for CCC and the other side for not offering every option under the sun. Constant battle.

As for the cut off...i do not know. Unless there is a wiring issue, bad B.I.R.D, I'm not sure. What you described earlier seems like what we knew. As long as the batteries are excited, it can sense a charge voltage and keep them latched. Then later you said it was several hours, but I'm not sure how much a generalization that was or if someone was timing it.

But then in another post you said it stayed latched...but when you came back, everything was off.

Old 05-29-2018, 02:48 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
We will not be installing those windows. Not unless we can find more CCC. The money is not the issue, they are more money, but not terrible. it's the weight. They are about double the weight. So on one hand we get crucified for CCC and the other side for not offering every option under the sun. Constant battle.

As for the cut off...i do not know. Unless there is a wiring issue, bad B.I.R.D, I'm not sure. What you described earlier seems like what we knew. As long as the batteries are excited, it can sense a charge voltage and keep them latched. Then later you said it was several hours, but I'm not sure how much a generalization that was or if someone was timing it.

But then in another post you said it stayed latched...but when you came back, everything was off.

Got it on the windows...

The cut off varies, sometimes it shuts off immediately, sometimes 10-15 minutes, a few hours and then days. When it was at Ram for a week it was on the whole time, switch was off...

So I know Cris at Dylan's was stumped... as was I. We both crawled all over the coach tracing wires and trying to figure out what was happening. How does the AUX 2 work? When lit is it feeding power via a relay? Maybe that's what's bad? The other unusual issue is the lights in the dinette came on by itself when activating the awning and slides...
Old 05-29-2018, 03:00 PM   #17
Commercial Member

Ohhhh. that is a very good question. Those switches are user programmable actually.

I think I posted the instructions from Ram a while back. They are called up fitter switches. You can program them to be momentary or constant. let me see if I can find that post.

Old 05-29-2018, 03:03 PM   #18
Commercial Member

here it is...
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...rt-132379.html

Watch that video and make sure Aux 2 wasn't changed to latched???

Old 05-29-2018, 07:07 PM   #19

I hope all these issues are addressed in new units being built. I am extremely mechanical and electrical in nature and past business, but I really don't want my new unit to be a total take up my time machine. I would rather have plug and play, and I also don't have time to drive over 200 miles for dealer service work. I can only hope my doesn't have issues at all, yes I am dreaming.
dannko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 07:14 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannko View Post
I hope all these issues are addressed in new units being built. I am extremely mechanical and electrical in nature and past business, but I really don't want my new unit to be a total take up my time machine. I would rather have plug and play, and I also don't have time to drive over 200 miles for dealer service work. I can only hope my doesn't have issues at all, yes I am dreaming.

I have not had any of these issues on my unit delivered February of 2018. This one seems to be a one off.

2018 Isata 5 DS

Tags
repair