Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2017, 05:01 PM   #1

Isata 5 sat. Receiver location

Where are you guys putting the reciever. I think my cables are in the cabinet as you come in the door overhead. Problem is there is not a 110 plug there.
Turbox3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 08:28 PM   #2
Super C Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbox3 View Post
Where are you guys putting the reciever. I think my cables are in the cabinet as you come in the door overhead. Problem is there is not a 110 plug there.
Isn't there a 110 outlet just outside the overhead where the TV plugs in? You should be able to fish the receiver power cord through there. Just make sure you fish the receiver side, not the wall outlet end.

-bj
Old 07-04-2017, 09:58 PM   #3

You talkin on the right as you come in?
Turbox3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 11:40 PM   #4
Super C Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbox3 View Post
You talkin on the right as you come in?
Yes. There should be a hole on the inside of the cabinet over the door that the HDMI cable comes out of. On the outside of this cabinet, there is a hole inline with the outlet.

I plan on installing my streaming box (for Netflix, Hulu, etc) in that cabinet. Getting the power cable through the holes will be difficult. I plan to use an opened up wire hanger to get from the top hole to the bottom one. Then I will duct tape the power cord to the hanger and pulled it through to the top hole.

Whatever you install in there, make sure it doesn't need much ventilation and something with an RF (not IR) remote is advisable.

-bj
Old 07-05-2017, 08:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftygoals View Post
Yes. There should be a hole on the inside of the cabinet over the door that the HDMI cable comes out of. On the outside of this cabinet, there is a hole inline with the outlet.

I plan on installing my streaming box (for Netflix, Hulu, etc) in that cabinet. Getting the power cable through the holes will be difficult. I plan to use an opened up wire hanger to get from the top hole to the bottom one. Then I will duct tape the power cord to the hanger and pulled it through to the top hole.

Whatever you install in there, make sure it doesn't need much ventilation and something with an RF (not IR) remote is advisable.

-bj
Curious what your plan is for streaming. I've thought about this but internet seems to be the one thing not readily available when camping/mobile.
Old 07-05-2017, 10:01 AM   #6
Super C Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOURWHL View Post
Curious what your plan is for streaming. I've thought about this but internet seems to be the one thing not readily available when camping/mobile.
I have a plan with T-Mobile that still has unlimited video and music streaming (Binge-On). I also have a signal booster/repeater from T-Mobile with a receiver unit and an rebroadcast unit. (T-Mobile gave this to me for free.) I have enclosed the receiver in tupperware so I can set it outside the motorhome. The other unit just plugs in inside the coach.

This boosts the signal to my phone, which I use as a hot spot. Most the time I don't need to booster, but it is nice to have.

Now the catch is that Binge-On only works with certain apps and certain protocols. I can't use a Roku for Netflix, because the Roku app uses a different streaming protocol than the Android app. Thus I switched to a streaming box from Minix:

MINIX NEO U1, 64-bit Quad-Core Media Hub for Android

While not perfect, it works and doesn't cost me a penny more than I am already paying for my mobile phone service. I don't know how well T-Mobile work in remote locations, though, because I most frequently use my motorhome to tow my race car to race tracks. Most of these tracks are just outside populated areas.

-bj

Tags
cat, location