Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2017, 12:11 PM   #1

Isata 5 transfer switch question

We just purchased an Isata 5 BD. We are still on our trip home with it.

Problem: We can not get the A?C units on while using the generator. Plugged
in to shore power works fine but not on 8kw generator. Lazy Days tech support
said sounds like bad transfer switch. Everything else seems to work fine. but
I have not figured out what is working on the inverter. Now I have everything cut off. I think. except for solar panels. and the batteries are 13.4 volts.

Brain or anyone does the transfer switch have a breaker that possible be off?? Loving the Dynamax, handles like a sports car, about. 9.5 to 10.5. mpg at 65 to
70 mph.
Thank you,
Ragtop
Ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 01:41 PM   #2

Check the breakers on the generator make sure they're on.
Old 04-17-2017, 07:42 AM   #3
Commercial Member

As AWF said, most common issue is the gen breaker being off. Tougher to troubleshoot for you because almost all of the electrical is wired through the inverter on the 5 series...other than the microwave and AC. So with the gen running it may appear that you have power, when in fact it is just inverted power.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 09:34 AM   #4

Transfer Switch

Your are right it is hard to tell what is on and what is off. On mine the micro and fridge will work on the inverter. So we turned of the inverter "I think" and everything in the coach appeared to be dead. Next cranked the gen, checked gen breaker was on but no power to the coach. Is there a breaker on the transfer switch that comes in. from the gen? Or between the ten and the inverter?

When. the coach is plugged in to shore power everything works fine. It is like the transfer switch is stuck on shore power and will not flip to gen power. Is finding a technician the next step, many hours away?
Thank you for your help.

Ragtop
Old 04-19-2017, 09:40 AM   #5

There are one or two breakers on the generator itself...if they pop you won't get any power to the coach. Make sure you check that they are on. If I remember correctly, the generator has priority on the switch so it should click after maybe 30 seconds to wait for the generator to spin up and stabilize.

If that is all OK, I have attached are some diagnostic procedures for a PD transfer switch. Don't know which one you have, but the functions and diagnostics should be the same
Attached Files
File Type: pdf PD Transfer Switch 110538A-English.pdf (1.38 MB, 73 views)

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:05 AM   #6

Transfer Switch

Thanks, I could only find one breaker by feeling up to the top right on the gen.
I am old and slow and can"t get into places to check things like I used to, but I will try. I sure am hoping there will be something simple like a breaker.

Ragtop

I tell people that 40 yrs and one hundred pounds ago, I was a lot of fun!
Old 04-19-2017, 10:11 AM   #7

It's a 50 amp system...should be two breakers and possibly the one that powers the transfer switch is the one that is off.

2015 335DS
Old 04-19-2017, 10:20 AM   #8
Commercial Member

Rarely do we see bad transfer switches. It is most often something else. We have seen transfer switches get blown...but that is sort of the point. It becomes the sacrificial lamb to protect the rest of the electrical system. Only the board typically needs replaced.

But again, that is rare. In most cases it is a breaker, either in the box or on the gen.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:45 AM   #9

Breakers

Could you please tell me where the 2 breakers are located on the 8kw gen. I only found one, top right corner. Hoow is it labeled in the box? Is it the 110 volt or 12 volt fuse box and where in the box? Those boxes are hard to get to where I can see , located under the bed.
The advice ya'll have given has been so helpful and hopeful.

Thank you,
Ragtop
Old 04-20-2017, 09:07 AM   #10

Hard to find any documentation on that generator. It looks like the main breaker is a two pole breaker, which is usually two circuit breakers connected together so they cannot flip separately. The transfer switch only uses one of the 120 volt lines, so if there is nothing on half, it won't connect.

Do you have an owners manual. If so look for main breaker.

2015 335DS
Old 04-20-2017, 09:25 AM   #11

Thank you Scott. I copied the Guide for the PD5100 you sent me if I have to get an electrician to look at it. We just got home with our Isata 5. I am looking at all the manuals now.

Going to meet with a concrete co. today about pouring a level pad for it to sit on
or maybe pea gravel. The Isata 5 did not look so big sitting amongst all the other
units at Lazy Days. but. get it home and it is huge. We sure do like it.

Ragtop
Old 04-22-2017, 11:28 AM   #12

Transfer Switch Info

If you are interested, I talked with Dynamax yesterday concerning my transfer switch and learned;

8kw Onan get has only one breaker located at top right corner

Transfer switch has no breakers in it

Transfer switch is replaced not repaired if under warranty

There are no breakers or fuses in main boxes under the bed that control the transfer switch

The service tech that is looking at mine next Wed has 2 same model transfer switches in stock. He talked with Dynamax yesterday to get warranty work approval.
Old 04-22-2017, 11:48 AM   #13

Good. That breaker is a double pole breaker so it is only a single throw. Hopefully it is just a bad transfer switch. Pretty much out of the box failure.

2015 335DS
Old 04-22-2017, 07:01 PM   #14

Thanks, I will report hopefully Wednesday.

Tags
switch, transfer switch