Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2019, 04:55 AM   #1

Just can't win...

It seems that we simply can't take a trip without "something" happening. We haven't gone anywhere lately because of our schedules. This weekend we took our rzr and met up with some friends in KY. As usual, here's what happened... smh.

We were getting some tile replaced because half a dozen tiles have cracked over the last year. I made an appointment two weeks before we were suppose to leave this weekend and asked the service manager if that was enough time. If not, I would just bring it back after my long awaited trip.

NOPE, NO PROBLEM... only a 3-4 day job. Well, almost two weeks later on the day we're suppose to leave at 8am, I get the RV back at 4 pm with 5 out of the 6 tiles replaced. That wouldn't have been such a big deal but while it was in there, they said I should have my Aqua hot serviced. (how hard can that be I thought?)

Well, apparently as they were taking it apart, something broke and parts were rusted and my aqua hot (which has been the achilles heal of this RV) needs the motor replaced. Again,SMH.

Turns out they can jerry rig it for the weekend so I can leave. Well, that didn't last long, woke up Saturday morning and it was 51 degrees in the RV. AGAIN, SHAKING MY HEAD.

That's not the worse part....

So I go to pick up the RV and we do a quick walk around to make sure everything is okay, I'm walking around quickly and yup, yup, it's good and leave. (I'M SO LATE AS IT IS) so I get in my RV and leave.

I stop at my house on the way to my shop to pick up my wife and head immediately to the shop. I back my RV up to my awaiting trailer, hook up and leave. At no point was anything around me to back into.

I get on the road and about 50 miles into it, I stop at my local truck stop and check my fluids and tire pressures as I always do.

The inner right tire had no air in it at all. The bead was broken off the rim and couldn't hold pressure. I called a mobile tire repair place and they said they wouldn't be able to do anything because it was run flat (technically, it wasn't)

So I used the leveling system, raised the tires off the ground and put air in it. It worked just fine and I monitored all weekend and never had a problem (I suspect the valve stem extension leaked) Good thing I installed those TMPS sensors on all the wheels... they're annoying but it works.

Sooooo, while I'm looking over the RV and doing a general walk around, I see this....

I can't believe it. My poor RV has had the **** beat out of the rear cap. I have NO IDEA where it came from, it has green paint on it like a dumpster or something but it goes up the side. I racked my brains trying to see what I could have hit and in between picking it up at the dealer and going to the truck stop, I wasn't anywhere to hit anything. I don't know if a sign was clipped and some how it hit the side of the corner and swung around and hit the back but I suspect I just didn't see it when I picked up the RV because I was in such a rush.

I can't win....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rv1.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	327.1 KB
ID:	199738   Click image for larger version

Name:	rv2.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	365.8 KB
ID:	199739   Click image for larger version

Name:	rv3.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	368.6 KB
ID:	199740   Click image for larger version

Name:	rv4.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	375.2 KB
ID:	199741   Click image for larger version

Name:	rv5.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	338.1 KB
ID:	199742  

Orangecrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 04:56 AM   #2

Not sure why the pics are sideways... The only thing I do know is this is getting old.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3069.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	532.7 KB
ID:	199726   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3070.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	363.5 KB
ID:	199727  
Old 03-25-2019, 06:52 AM   #3
Site Team

Man, when it rains, it pours.

I'm interested in the tire though ( who would have thought).[emoji3]

I'm not really following the statement about the mobile tire repair, and why they wouldn't fix the tire if they were a tire repair service.

From a tire biz standpoint, we also will not just air up a tire that has been run low/flat enough that the beads come separated from the rims. We will only air it up after we have dismounted the tire and inspected the inside of the tire for damage caused by running it low/flat. The reason for this is if it is damaged, it can explode when attempting to air it up. Its very dangerous. We also charge the customer for this labor. We have to.

However, a mobile tire repair, especially one that services semis and motorhomes, would have the equipment for such, and should explain it as I did above.

Where you just wanting them to only put air in it, and maybe not take it off the motorhome and dismount it? If not, then it sounds like maybe they weren't really set up to repair tires in a mobile sense.

Also it sounds like maybe the tpms for that tire did not work. It should have alerted you before the tire was run low enough to come off the rim and you found it while at the truck stop. I am saying this because if it was an instant air loss event, like in a blowout, it wouldn't have aired back up as you were able to do.

I am still a little concerned over that tire, and if it possibly has internal damage. You said the stem extensions were suspect. Did you remove, tighten, or find out for sure. Something caused an air loss.

On the pics being sideways, are you uploading them from an iPhone? If so, I can show how to correct that.

Also, did you mean for the title of this thread to be "Just can't win"?
If so I will fix that for you.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 06:56 AM   #4

Mark: sorry to hear of your pain.
joet19711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 07:25 AM   #5

Ugh sorry bud. I always tell my wife ... if she didn't have bad luck she wouldn't have any luck at all.

Hope you at least got some quality trail time
Old 03-25-2019, 07:26 AM   #6
Site Team

Next time you are at the dealer, see what they use to move RVs around the lot. Could be a green tractor. Photos Fixed.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 07:31 AM   #7

Damn, man...hate to hear all this. Hope y’all were able to at least enjoy the rest of the trip.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:29 AM   #8

Sorry to hear....I always tell my wife we cannot have anything nice.

Had the week in getting the supercharger serviced and get a call for the shop. They were on a test drive and got behind a yard debris trailer and a branch flew out busted the windshield and put a nice little dent on the hood. I guess the good thing was I had several pop marks in the windshield that needed fixed...now I got a whole new windshield.

I’m at the point I just mark it up to “making memories”...
Jammer151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 09:34 AM   #9

Just make sure you have good insurance and enjoy. PS - Get a low deductable.
DNA Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 01:05 PM   #10
Commercial Member

Not to pile on....but it also looks like there is a "typo" on the subject line....

unless "Just can't witw..." means something that I don't know about. Acronym?

Just can't "Win In This World"? (Even though I don't think we normally include "the" and "in" and "a" in creating acronyms.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 01:34 PM   #11

That uneven damage to the rear end looks like it was scraped against an uneven wall. After you did your inspection, did they move the rig?
Old 03-25-2019, 08:58 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Man, when it rains, it pours.

I'm interested in the tire though ( who would have thought).[emoji3]

I'm not really following the statement about the mobile tire repair, and why they wouldn't fix the tire if they were a tire repair service.

From a tire biz standpoint, we also will not just air up a tire that has been run low/flat enough that the beads come separated from the rims. We will only air it up after we have dismounted the tire and inspected the inside of the tire for damage caused by running it low/flat. The reason for this is if it is damaged, it can explode when attempting to air it up. Its very dangerous. We also charge the customer for this labor. We have to.

However, a mobile tire repair, especially one that services semis and motorhomes, would have the equipment for such, and should explain it as I did above.

Where you just wanting them to only put air in it, and maybe not take it off the motorhome and dismount it? If not, then it sounds like maybe they weren't really set up to repair tires in a mobile sense.

Also it sounds like maybe the tpms for that tire did not work. It should have alerted you before the tire was run low enough to come off the rim and you found it while at the truck stop. I am saying this because if it was an instant air loss event, like in a blowout, it wouldn't have aired back up as you were able to do.

I am still a little concerned over that tire, and if it possibly has internal damage. You said the stem extensions were suspect. Did you remove, tighten, or find out for sure. Something caused an air loss.

On the pics being sideways, are you uploading them from an iPhone? If so, I can show how to correct that.

Also, did you mean for the title of this thread to be "Just can't win"?
If so I will fix that for you.
1) I wanted the tire taken off, inspected, replaced if necc. or at the very least tell me what was wrong with it. It hadn't been run flat, I'm pretty sure the air leaked out while sitting at the dealer.

2) I didn't realize the pics were sideways until it posted. It was downloaded from my iPhone but were "normal" when viewing them... it wasn't until it uploaded that it got turned.

3) Yes, can't win... just noticed that tonight. I'll see if I can edit it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Next time you are at the dealer, see what they use to move RVs around the lot. Could be a green tractor. Photos Fixed.
They pulled it out of their service bay and parked it on the street. At the end of the day, it's my fault for not catching it and it really doesn't matter, I don't want them touching my paint... I'll fix it myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Not to pile on....but it also looks like there is a "typo" on the subject line....

unless "Just can't witw..." means something that I don't know about. Acronym?

Just can't "Win In This World"? (Even though I don't think we normally include "the" and "in" and "a" in creating acronyms.

No, I'm just stupid...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
That uneven damage to the rear end looks like it was scraped against an uneven wall. After you did your inspection, did they move the rig?
Once I walked around (quickly because I was in a hurry) to appease them, I left in the RV. My fault for being so quick to get on the road.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:05 PM   #13
Site Team

Title edited by site team: "Just can't win"

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 12:17 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer151 View Post
Sorry to hear....I always tell my wife we cannot have anything nice.

Had the week in getting the supercharger serviced and get a call for the shop. They were on a test drive and got behind a yard debris trailer and a branch flew out busted the windshield and put a nice little dent on the hood. I guess the good thing was I had several pop marks in the windshield that needed fixed...now I got a whole new windshield.

I’m at the point I just mark it up to “making memories”...

Orangecrush I’m there with you on typos, above mine was supposed to have said “Had the Jeep in” not “Had the week in”....
Old 03-26-2019, 04:26 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer151 View Post
Orangecrush I’m there with you on typos, above mine was supposed to have said “Had the Jeep in” not “Had the week in”....
LOL... fat fingers I guess.

A few comments about your Jeep btw.

1) windshields and the damage to the hood should be covered under comprehensive. Your rates should not go up and your deductible should be low.

2) factory windshields for a JK are about 329.00 plus installation, the basic difference between an aftermarket (about 220.00 installed) is the black grille engraved on the windshield by the rear view mirror and little black Jeep in the bottom passenger corner.

If for any reason they only pay for an aftermarket but you want the black Jeep and grille, you can buy a decal set that can be placed on the windshield from eBay before you install it.

3) If you make the claim on comprehensive and they pay for the damage to the hood, this might be a time to buy an aftermarket hood so at least some of the paint will be paid for.

Just a suggestion... I changed the hood on mine.

An old pic when she was young and small....lol. I'll get a recent one.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0356.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	161.0 KB
ID:	199852  
Old 03-26-2019, 05:52 AM   #16

Don't have a MH so I'm curious about a few things. Does the Aqua Hot heat the MH ? you said the Aqua Hot failed and it was 51 in the coach. I thought a Aqua Hot was a water heater. Why didn't the TPMS not show a low tire and how did you get air back in with the bead broken ? Just trying to understand the workings of a MH.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 06:10 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangecrush View Post
LOL... fat fingers I guess.

A few comments about your Jeep btw.

An old pic when she was young and small....lol. I'll get a recent one.

Luckily for me the shop covered all the repairs before...even replaced with the factory windshield. Hmmm...I was going to post a pic, but for some reason the app isn’t letting me. Used to be able to tap on screen and select insert...maybe I haven’t paid my subscription fee ...
Old 03-26-2019, 08:03 PM   #18
Retired Army Paratrooper

I tell you what OC, you have got some of the worst luck. Sorry having so many problems hopefully it will get better. See you in June.
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 06:33 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
Don't have a MH so I'm curious about a few things. Does the Aqua Hot heat the MH ? you said the Aqua Hot failed and it was 51 in the coach. I thought a Aqua Hot was a water heater. Why didn't the TPMS not show a low tire and how did you get air back in with the bead broken ? Just trying to understand the workings of a MH.
Yes, the aquahot heats the RV for the furnace and hot water.

The TPMS sensor did actually show it was zero. The problem is they are a little hit and miss and I always wait until I get to the truckstop on the edge of town so I can do all my checking. Guess next time I'll listen to it immediately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
I tell you what OC, you have got some of the worst luck. Sorry having so many problems hopefully it will get better. See you in June.

It always does... live to see another day...lol. See you in June!!
Old 03-27-2019, 06:09 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
I've had MH tires unbead. Sometimes if you hit them with high enough air pressure (sometimes you need to take the schrader valve out of the stem) they will re-bead. If that doesnt work, a rachet strap wrapped around the tire and tightened usually does the trick. In extreme situations I have even pulled the schrader valve, squirted a quick spritz of ether (WD40 works too) into the valve stem and put a match up to the valve stem. There is a big "pop", a small woosh of flame out the valve stem and the tire is re-beaded. Contrary to urban myth, the tire does not explode, catch fire or fly 6 feet into the air. Just dont get your face close to the valve stem when you light it.

Randy & Dee
2018 DX3 37TS
"Orange Crush"
RV Randy is offline   Reply With Quote