Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2018, 12:12 PM   #1

Just Picked New DX3 36FK

Just finally picked up our new DX3 36FK. Very excited and really like the quality and detail that went into the unit. Yes, there's a few items that need attention, but I'm ok with fixing a few things. Lets me learn more about the details.

I do have a few minor QC items for Brian.

1. The paint guys left the masking tape on the INSIDE of the fresh water tank gravity fill door & compartment at the rear. I'll get it out, but just something to be aware of.

2. Hopefully the dealer already mentioned the HDMI plug & front TV bracket. I haven't checked it since the dealer did fix it, but what I noticed was the steel wasn't cut large enough to not put pressure on the HDMI plug. Something you may not see until things settle a little bit.

3. The attached picture. Now I do have to laugh at this one. The plastic portion of the screen door is about an 1" short of closing correctly. No matter how you move the slider, it's an 1". If you could please send me the right parts, it's an easy fix.

4. The awing doesn't seem to 100% retract. Maybe a minor adjustment issue?

I'm sure we'll find some more small items as we use it this weekend. Our first trip is near some friends, so it'll be interesting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Door 1.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	319.4 KB
ID:	170225   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen door 2.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	330.8 KB
ID:	170226  
Vansteenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 12:38 PM   #2

The hdmi cable, I added a 90' adapter to the end so that heavy cable didnt stick straight out, not sure if that would help in your case or not.

I have not looked at my screen door, but I will tonight, lol.

Congratulations on the new ride.
Old 05-02-2018, 12:51 PM   #3
Commercial Member

lol... I was wondering why I was getting a PM with a VIN.

I actually have zero notes on that VIN. The first thing I do, is pull up the VIN so I can see what comments and notes we have. They haven't registered yet...but I'm sure we will see that shortly. I can say, that thing didn't ship until 4/23...that is a pretty quick turn around if it is in your hands already.

3. In the production line's defense, the door and screen come together from the supplier. When we install it here, we never use the screen and that cover is always open. Never thought I'd have to add that to a checklist specifically. They check that the screen and door latch and operate properly. Maybe its a new "fresh air" makeup requirement by the government.

4. As for the awning...yes, there is a little latch that the awning locks into. It can get tweaked and it doesn't want to ride up over that latch. Pretty common adjustment.

Actually, I think we have a DX3 in the shop now, I'll see if I can get my tech to show me exactly what he does in that situation. There is a service manual on the flash drive...but I could never tell from the pictures what he was talking about. It's high time I found out.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 12:51 PM   #4
Commercial Member

PS. Congrats on your new coach.

Old 05-02-2018, 03:25 PM   #5

Maybe I can help you with the awning. Look at the end piece
If you zoom in on the picture the piece that is on the end has two screws in it and maybe they are loose, also that end piece needs to be bent out a little bit. On the coach end.(looks like a little roller) the end piece needs to ride up and under that piece and it will lock in place. Also spread some
white grease on the part that looks like little roller and that should solve
your problem. If not then you can adjust the in/out limits on the awning.
Hope that helps.
joet19711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 03:27 PM   #6

Forgot to post the picture LOL. Zoom in on the awning end piece
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	berlin md.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	303.1 KB
ID:	170263  
joet19711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 05:08 PM   #7
jkoenig24

Brian, you mentioned a USB service manual. Can you post a link, please? Thank you.
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 05:43 PM   #8

Thanks for the info on the awning. When we get back from Minnesota this weekend, I'll work on it.
Old 05-03-2018, 11:52 PM   #9
Commercial Member

The service manual is on the flash drive that ships with the new units. I'm at the Berkshire Shareholders meeting this weekend....so I don't have access to the network drive. Once I get back I can post the pdf. (unless someone beats me to it)

Old 05-04-2018, 06:30 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
The service manual is on the flash drive that ships with the new units. I'm at the Berkshire Shareholders meeting this weekend....so I don't have access to the network drive. Once I get back I can post the pdf. (unless someone beats me to it)
Here you go.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Awning - Care Free - Apex Service Manual.pdf (3.02 MB, 32 views)

2018 Isata 5 DS
sseaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 10:23 AM   #11
jkoenig24

My 2015 Dynamax DX3-37RB did NOT have a "USB Service Manual". Much of the paperwork that was included did NOT apply to the DX3. I've been told repeatedly to check online re winterizing a refrigerator BUT, I could NEVER find information which applied to RESIDENTIAL refrigerators (or other RESIDENTIAL appliances)
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 07:21 AM   #12

Well, an update from our first outing and having the dealer working on some items that need to be corrected.

Enjoyed the unit a lot over the 4 days. There were a lot of things to go over during the camping trip and looking at some minor mods to make it ours. A few mods that we have done so far is to reverse the refrigerator door to face open to the counter, replaced the towel holder in the shower and added a second, removed the wall mount T-paper holder and put in a nice floor holder. On hold till we get the unit back is a long drawer pull to use for towels in the kitchen, but also updating all the pulls (similar to the driftwood look). Also, adding a couple long pulls to the pantry doors to make them easier to open.

So some notes on what's being fixed at the dealer:

The error in the screen door, is the fixed panel is 2-3" too short compared to the other 2 units on their lot. The dealer is saying this has to be replaced, but didn't give a time frame yet on a new screen door.

The last day we were in MN, went to turn on the bin lights, and they all were dead. MMM, they worked at pickup before. They know there's a short somewhere in the wiring loom as the mech said there appeared to be a pinched section and hoped to have it fixed. As of last night they were still trying to find the problem - still a dead-short.

The front A/C only blew luke warm air both days we used it. The dealer tested the front A/C (blew 71 with it 70 outside) and believe most likely dead. The dealer is working with the A/C mfg to get a replacement. Hope to hear from them soon on this issue and get the front A/C unit fixed before we head south. I've lived on one before (or old unit had 1 Atwood 18k unit) but sure would be nice not to.

One feedback for Brian to look at, the full length doors on the W/D area at least in our unit only open 90. Kind of interesting to do laundry with both doors only at 90. May want to think about 120 or 180 degree full open hinges, even with 1/2 doors. That's one mod we'll be working on.

Overall a very good unit. A few issues we ran into were definitely user error, but with the USB drive and the books, figured out the user problems.
Old 05-18-2018, 08:26 AM   #13
Commercial Member

Glad to hear the first trip went well. I think we are ware of the laundry doors and were looking at a hinge. I'll check one on the line and see if they have already corrected it.

As for the AC...they should know this, but a common occurrence is the baffle that separates return and supply can fall down. that mixes the air and the AC thinks it is colder than it is.

Old 05-18-2018, 10:41 AM   #14
Commercial Member

I remembered incorrectly. It was for the soap drawer. For hidden hinges, that's the draw back...it opens to just about 95 degrees. I don't think we were able to find a hidden hinge (at least from our supplier) that opened more.

Old 05-18-2018, 04:43 PM   #15

Sounds like got everything but the screen and a/c fixed. Just waiting on decisions for those.

Hopefully both can get done before leaving may 31 for the rally and our summer trip.

They did check the baffle on the a/c, no dice there.

Thanks for looking on the hinge. When I find something I'll post the info.
Old 05-19-2018, 07:02 AM   #16

I installed the extended open hinges on our DX3 36 FK W/D cabinet. 160 degree open or there about. Work very well, DW really likes the added room. Washing machine soap dish is a little tight, but workable with out any problems. Worth the effort I think.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20170817_161714.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	185.5 KB
ID:	172429   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170817_161742.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	202.2 KB
ID:	172430  
CSWVK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 12:45 AM   #17

That looks great!! Would you mind telling us where you found the hinges?
steverkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 10:09 AM   #18

HI, I think they came from Lowes. They are 170 degree cabinet hinges. I had to add backers on both sides to mount the hinges. I have since found other options that are for framed cabinets like on the W/D cabinet that might work & install with less work. Check these out. 170 degree face frame hinges, 35mm door cup. The door only has a 1/4 inch overlay so the options are many. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002MMQM4M..._t1_B01L37QUT8
A google search of 170 degree cabinet hinges will give you many more options. We will be at the Rally in TN in June if you would like to stop by & see. Have fun & hope you enjoy your DX3 as much as we do.
Old 05-20-2018, 10:16 AM   #19

Pictures of the hinges I used
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_8205.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	311.8 KB
ID:	172601   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8206.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	212.9 KB
ID:	172602   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8207.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	303.7 KB
ID:	172603  
Old 05-21-2018, 08:14 AM   #20
Commercial Member

I'll have our guys check again with out current supplier for the wider ones. Probably not a common stock item (locally), but with as few as we need, could be a bulk amazon order once a year.