Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2018, 09:49 PM   #1

Just saw Isata 5 and DX3 at RV Show

My wife and I just saw the Isata 5 36DS and the DX3 35DS at the RV show in Columbus, OH today and they are so nice! We don't have an RV yet, but are planning to retire in a just a few years and these two motor homes stand head and shoulders above the rest for quality, features and value. We could tell how much thought and design went into them. I'm curious to find out what some of the differences are (between them and the competition) for the things that we couldn't see like the frame/structure, wall materials, etc. We especially loved the Cummins engine and the 4x4 option! Are there any other options/features that we will want to order if we plan full timing and mostly boondocking? Any advice is welcome.
RedSteelManUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 10:31 PM   #2

Go to their website and find out more. Or, just scroll through the post in Dynamax.
Old 01-08-2018, 08:07 AM   #3

Performance RV is the dealer who had the units at the show. Go see them and they can help too, they are very knowledgeable. Located near Buckeye Lake. We bought our unit there. Good guys.
Old 01-08-2018, 06:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSteelManUSA View Post
My wife and I just saw the Isata 5 36DS and the DX3 35DS at the RV show in Columbus, OH today and they are so nice! We don't have an RV yet, but are planning to retire in a just a few years and these two motor homes stand head and shoulders above the rest for quality, features and value. We could tell how much thought and design went into them. I'm curious to find out what some of the differences are (between them and the competition) for the things that we couldn't see like the frame/structure, wall materials, etc. We especially loved the Cummins engine and the 4x4 option! Are there any other options/features that we will want to order if we plan full timing and mostly boondocking? Any advice is welcome.
One thing to consider if you do plan on going full time or extend trips is the cargo carrying capacity of the 5. My wife and I loved the size and price point of the 5 but when we looked at the CCC we felt we would have a hard time carrying the things we felt we needed for full time RVing in the 5. We decided on a DX3 36FK, overall length is similar to most of the 5s but with more CCC than we can use.
Webefine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 02:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by halla View Post
Performance RV is the dealer who had the units at the show. Go see them and they can help too, they are very knowledgeable. Located near Buckeye Lake. We bought our unit there. Good guys.
Thanks for the info! Question for you Hala... Is the main difference between the Force and the DX the fuel (gas vs diesel)? What made you decide to go with Dynamax brand and then RV Performance as the supplier?
Old 01-09-2018, 03:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webefine View Post
One thing to consider if you do plan on going full time or extend trips is the cargo carrying capacity of the 5. My wife and I loved the size and price point of the 5 but when we looked at the CCC we felt we would have a hard time carrying the things we felt we needed for full time RVing in the 5. We decided on a DX3 36FK, overall length is similar to most of the 5s but with more CCC than we can use.
Thanks for the feedback, WeBeFine! I did read about the low CCC (in the forums here - what a great tool!) ad will continue to monitor progress. I was thinking that we might consider the new 30' floor plan coming out, but it looks like one of the trade-offs for the reduction in length resulted in the bed folding when the slide is in. That can't be good for full timing. We'd also considered swapping out the AGM batteries with Lithium, that would free up a couple hundred pounds. We'll also be towing a older 4WD Jeep so we can store some heavy stuff in that too.
Old 01-09-2018, 03:30 PM   #7

DX3 impression

We just bought (September) the DX3 ts37. I can only say WOW. Between the cummins, Allison and Frieghtliner how much better can it get? We too are full-timers and the space is perfect. Lot's of under space storage, call tow 20,000lbs (although I don't think it could at least going up any hills let alone mtns.) but we pull a new 2017 Jeep Cherokee trailhawk with out trouble. The only trouble we have had is learning the gears and we really slow down going up anything steep, I think the jeep weighs about 5,000lbs give or take. We found in our case you have to manually drop the gears down and up because it doesn't do it on it's own till you have dropped down to about 30 mph and then it's too late to climb. We wondered if the is an update or adjustment that needs to be done because it doesn't seem right.
We got the Sunset color and you can not imagine all the looks and compliments we get. It's a real head turner. We love it. Yes we have had the same problems other RVer's have had with a new unit. Extremely frustrated with the dealer but I have to admit, Forest River has really been amazing in helping work with us to get things fixed. You might as well be prepared no matter what you buy you are going to have issues but the bones are there in the DX3.
tdemeyer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 04:56 PM   #8

Dynamax builds a nice Super C. We have a 2016 Force. However, if you are planning to purchase new a DX3 with its price tag do your homework. I suggest you check out the Renegade Valencia and Verona. Renegade makes a very good product. Our 2016 Force was one year old when we bought it and lucky for us found a very motivated seller. If we had purchased new and paid the price they want for a new one I would now have buyers remorse. You may still end up thinking Dynamax is best after checking out Renegade but it is better to find that out before you purchase rather than after.
DQskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 05:21 PM   #9

I'm used to seeing the Cummins and Allison powertrain combo, but I haven't heard of Aisen, which comes with the RAM cab on the Isata 5. Any experiences or insight on this particular tranny? A quick google search didn't show any major issues.
Old 01-09-2018, 05:38 PM   #10

Aisin is made by Toyota and is a very strong transmission. Considered as good as the Allison. It's something like a $2800 option on RAM trucks.
rskeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 07:09 PM   #11

TPMS On the Ram 5500

Do anyone know if the RAM 5500 on the Isata 5 has a TPMS and does it actually read out tire pressure and temp or is it just a low tire warning light? Will it tell you which tire is low? Or should I consider an aftermarket TPMS for the 6 tires and the 4 on the TOAD.
Thanks,
Casey
caseymyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 07:20 PM   #12

My '14 RAM 3500 Dually had the TPMS with air pressure readout on the EVIC. No alarms, just the pressure. The Toad would require a separate system.
rskeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 07:28 PM   #13

It's Allison if you look at my post
tdemeyer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 08:26 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSteelManUSA View Post
Thanks for the info! Question for you Hala... Is the main difference between the Force and the DX the fuel (gas vs diesel)? What made you decide to go with Dynamax brand and then RV Performance as the supplier?

Force HD is the same chassis as Dx3, more options on DX3. We love the build quality of the Dynamax, this is our second Dynamax. The dealer is the only one in Ohio and I really like the guys there, easy to work with. Good luck

Tags
show