Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2017, 05:56 PM   #1

Leaving Motorhome in Florida for 2 Months - A/C Setting

I sent this to Brian Clemens and he suggested I get input from folks on this forum.

We have our 2018 Isata 3 in Fort Myers Florida right now. We will be leaving the motorhome here unattended (in a rv resort on a lot) and traveling back to Michigan for two months. Then returning to the rv in mid January.

Is it acceptable to leave the air conditioning running? What temp should I set it at?

Would it be better to put dry mode on?

I notice that the a/c fan runs all the time. Is that normal? I have the thermostat set on auto, but the low fan light is lit as well as auto and it doesn't ever shut off the fan. Will that mean it will run for the two months we are gone? Is that how "auto" works? It seems it should shut off, but it never does.

We have it plugged into the pole at the rv park and I have a 30amp surge protector at the pole. Is that sufficient?

I hope I haven't worn out my welcome by asking so many questions at one time. I just don't want to burn up my a/c and I also don't want the unit getting too hot and have moisture and mold build up while we are gone for that length of time.

I look forward to hearing from other owners with Atwood heat pump a/c units. Thanks for any help you can give me.
DLBartlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 07:20 PM   #2

We have a similar situation but in AZ in summer. My answers below your questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLBartlett View Post
I sent this to Brian Clemens and he suggested I get input from folks on this forum.

We have our 2018 Isata 3 in Fort Myers Florida right now. We will be leaving the motorhome here unattended (in a rv resort on a lot) and traveling back to Michigan for two months. Then returning to the rv in mid January.
YES
Is it acceptable to leave the air conditioning running? What temp should I set it at?
Yes. We set ours at 90.

Would it be better to put dry mode on?
Don't know. Our humidity rarely gets above 20%

I notice that the a/c fan runs all the time. Is that normal?
YES
I have the thermostat set on auto, but the low fan light is lit as well as auto and it doesn't ever shut off the fan. Will that mean it will run for the two months we are gone?
YES
Is that how "auto" works? It seems it should shut off, but it never does.
THAT'S HOW OURS WORKS
We have it plugged into the pole at the rv park and I have a 30amp surge protector at the pole. Is that sufficient?
YES

I hope I haven't worn out my welcome by asking so many questions at one time. I just don't want to burn up my a/c and I also don't want the unit getting too hot and have moisture and mold build up while we are gone for that length of time.

I look forward to hearing from other owners with Atwood heat pump a/c units. Thanks for any help you can give me.
rskeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 09:23 PM   #3

I wouldn't worry about leaving it on at all. Average temps during Dec/Jan are very mild, mid/low 70s to mid 80s for the highs. Set it at 90 and it will never run. We will have days in the low 40s upper 30s on occasion. Humidity is 70% I"d estimate at best. Today in Bushnell the high was 75 and tonight 52. I'm "camping" in my store parking lot as I'll be working tomorrow and don't feel like driving the 65 miles home. Should be great sleeping tonight!
Old 11-17-2017, 09:33 PM   #4

I think running the AC while I'm not there would be more worrisome to me - they can freeze up, leak, start making noise, etc, etc. Not to mention having the whole rig plugged in while away - to me, there's just to much that could happen (lightning, shorts...etc)

We're in Austin so it can get really hot in the summer here - we usually camp a lot in the summer but there have been a few where we didn't do anything for several months. I've always just disconnected everything and propped the fridge door open - never had any sort of problem with heat or humidity. (Of course we have no food or other perishables in there)

Granted, when I step into an RV that's been sitting in 100+ temps for weeks on end, it's so hot I wonder how everything in it doesn't melt.... but as I said - it's never been a problem.
Old 11-17-2017, 10:07 PM   #5

Agree with leaving the RV disconnected from shore power. Less chance of problems. If you choose to do this, however, be sure to fully charge the batteries then actually disconnect the battery power at the batteries.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 06:19 AM   #6

I have left our rig in storage for the past two seasons in Ft myers. Last two years, not plugged in with battery disc open. No issues. I check on it once a month. This year we have a storage unit with 30A power but I won't be running the AC unless I am in it. Hope this helps
Full Time in the Summer, soon
Part Time in the Winter
Days Camped, Not Enough
CZNEDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 07:15 AM   #7

Dont bother , the winter is SW FL dry season , so no mold should be growing when you return.

IF you left it in the wet summer season a de humidifier , just drainnig into the sink would be first choice.

I doubt if it would fill the grey tank , although an overboard drain could be done.
FFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 10:24 AM   #8

I'm sitting here in 80 degree temps at 9 in the morning, so I'm still thinking summer....as others have said, I'm sure you will be fine in the cooler temps that are coming.

Yes, these fans on the Atwoods run all the time when in cool mode, I'm guessing it's just the compressor that just goes on/off. The issue we've run into with that is the filter gets clogged QUICK and will cause the unit to ice up because there's not enough air flow. I now clean those filters every single trip.
Old 11-18-2017, 10:52 AM   #9

I believe if you set the fan control to AUTO, it will cycle on and off. In LOW or HIGH, it will run all the time.

We leave a 5th wheel in AZ in the summer - totally unhooked. Inside temps can reach 130.

Mike and JoAnne
Montana Summer / Arizona Winter
2016 Prism 24G /2002 HitchHiker 38LKTG
ACME EZTowing a 2015 Chevy Sonic RS Hatchback
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 02:05 PM   #10

We live in Zephyrhills, FL and unlike most snowbirds we leave for the winter and travel to South America each year for six months. We leave the air conditioning on 85 in both the house and the lanai with no appreciable electric consumption. As has been mentioned it doesn't get that warm here in the winter. As to the air conditioning fan running continuously I am going to guess you are doing something wrong with your settings. Mine only runs when the air conditioning comes on and then shuts off when the temperature is attained. PS most of the other RV's in the park that are here all summer uninhabited also leave their air conditioners on.
2016 Coachmen Chaparral Lite 29MKS
Rvdixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 03:00 PM   #11

Wow. I guess I am in a different camp. In my opinion, humidity=moisture= mold. I know, the higher the temperature the more moisture the air can hold but we winter in Fla and in that bright sun, the inside of a closed up motorhome can get very warm.

I suggest you crack a window and leave the ceiling vent open. Open all the doors including the o/h cabinets. AND if you don't want to run the A/C, get a dehumidifier and put it in the shower.

Now, I would open the grey tank valve a little and let the moisture run out. Just make sure you create a "trap" with the hose to keep sewer odors at bay.

Bill

PS. Be sure to water the batteries before you leave and disconnect or shut off the water valve to your unit.

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 03:35 PM   #12

Audi Dudi is correct on the fan. If it’s set on auto, the fan will turn on and off with the AC cycle. The fan will also cycle from high to low as the temperature gets within 5 degrees of the setting. I would think the temperature setting would depend on interior contents susceptible to heat. Is there food? Is the refrigerator on? Is the coach exposed to direct sunshine? I left mine for 15 days last year and since we’re full time, I left everything as normal and as I recall, I set the main AC at 85. I also turned the water and water heater off. Everything was fine when we returned. If I were going to be gone 2 months, I would likely take additional precautions plus have someone check on it regularly. Depends on what risk you’re comfortable with.
FroggyRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 06:05 PM   #13

Playing devils advocate here, I'm going to offer another perspective. I live in North Central FL now but lived in South FL for many years. It IS the dry season in the winter, but the air is far from dry. I only bought my first TT a year ago, so I don't have years of experience, but I've had my TT plugged in to power all the time while stored at home with the AC set on 82, and with a dehumidifier running. Ive found recently with cooler weather and the AC running less, the dehumidifier fills up faster. At least if you leave your AC set at 85 or so in Fort Myers, it will take SOME of the humidity out of the air. Sounds like the others have had no issues, but I'm a little paranoid about mold in my climate.
FLTBIRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 06:07 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by FroggyRon View Post
Audi Dudi is correct on the fan. If it’s set on auto, the fan will turn on and off with the AC cycle. The fan will also cycle from high to low as the temperature gets within 5 degrees of the setting.
That is normally how it should work. However, these Atwood AC's march to a different drummer. The fan is always on in Cool mode. This characteristic along with apparent inefficiencies leads me to consider replacing it with a different brand. Anybody have any suggestions???
rskeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 06:21 PM   #15

So we don't have your unit but our TT sits in the backyard just north of Tampa at all times when not in use & we just have vents open covered by Maxxair ... never any issue at all. Any foods are in plastic bins sealed up so no bugs attracted & ant killer all around it at all times (did have ants crawl up our electric cord off the pedestal once) .
We have learned to disconnect from water when not on site ... another story for another time

Terri & Joe + Boont & Tasha
Camping a long weekend every month or so since May 2013 in our cute 21FBRS MicroLite to practice for retirement while living here in Florida
Joe is retired.... next camper ordered.... getting ready to change this signature really soon!
Life Without Whine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 10:10 PM   #16

Set your thermostat to about 85 degrees with the fan in "auto" mode so it only comes on when the air conditioner runs. Take the air filters off the inside air vents. That should take care of any excess humidity. I would also hang a couple of Spectracide No Pest Strips to keep the trailer clear of any insects. You could use some Damp Rid but I do not think you will need it.
Villagerjjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 10:24 AM   #17

I leave mine either running at about 85 degrees or use a dehumidifier placed in the shower (leave the drain open).

I think the "dry" setting runs the fan more than the "cool" setting. This might not be a bad thing.
daveinthekeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 11:41 AM   #18

Thanks everyone for your input. I have left the unit on 77 degrees, plugged into 30 amp service with a surge protector.

As one post said, the Atwood A/C heat pump units march to the beat of a different drum. In cool mode the fan is running all the time with the compressor coming on when necessary. It never shuts off. When I push the button for fan it goes from high to medium to low then to auto. On auto the low fan light comes on simultaneously. Thus the fan is running continuously. It seems strange to me that Atwood would design the A/C to run the fan continuously.

I'm gone for 2 Months. I hope my unit doesn't burn up while I'm gone with the fan running like this all the time.

If anyone has additional thoughts I'd love to hear them.
DLBartlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 07:14 AM   #19

If anyone has additional thoughts I'd love to hear them.

IF your unit has awning windows , simply leaving a couple open 1/4 inch will keep the coach aired , and not allow rain to enter.
FFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 07:23 AM   #20
Insert witty title here

Put in a few containers of damp rid to keep humidity in check.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome