Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2016, 09:19 AM   #1

Leveling DX3

So I'm a big fan of auto level but I've seen that some of you do it manually. Got a few questions for y'all. I seem to be getting into situations where the sensors freak out before I even start and decide that the ground is too unlevel.

It seems that the cross slope (side to side) is when its most sensitive. I'll get the center and Left/Right lights flashing and it wont do anything. If I drive up on a couple of blocks it'll level out fine. I did have one case where it ran out of stroke on the jacks and did the same thing mid auto level. I can understand when that happens, but why wont it even start sometimes when it clearly has enough jack?

I've had other times where it was more front to back and leveled out fine, just lifted the front end 6" in the air.

Is there any way to override and at least see if it is possible with what stroke the jacks have?

Is this something that can be done manually instead? I've tried but nothing happens when its in those spots.

When you level manually do you just hit the manual button and then start using the arrows?
Old 10-25-2016, 09:29 AM   #2

This is not answering your question related to your rig, but with the Class A I always put down 4x4 blocks regardless of how level the ground was so that I never over extend the jack (if that is possible) or had most of the cylinder showing. and could always bring the rig to level.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 09:44 AM   #3

Yeah I carry a bunch of 2x6s for that (and for what I previously mentioned) but it always seems I'm arriving / setting up when its either raining or we're in a rush so they never get used as just blocks.
Old 10-25-2016, 10:20 AM   #4

I use manual all the time now. Hold the manual button in until the light comes on, ground both sets of jacks, which i have bigfoot jack pads. Then i use an iphone app for the level in the kitchen. App is bubble level. I have it downpat now, no need for autolevel anymore.

2016 Dynamax Force. Just-Rite2
Old 11-15-2016, 12:15 PM   #5

So I got to play around with the manual leveling. I was surprised to find that the right/left button only operate the rear jacks. I would think the button would do either two on the side indicated.

Wondering what the thinking behind this is? I'd think this may lead to some of the situations where the coach is unable to level on mild cross slope. Does this same limitation exist during auto level?
Old 11-15-2016, 06:08 PM   #6

I have never noticed that. I thought mine adjusted all 4, I will have to pay more attention next time.

2016 Dynamax Force. Just-Rite2
Old 11-16-2016, 07:34 AM   #7
Commercial Member

Did you run the rear one all the way to the ground first to see if the front dropped after? I've used different brands, but many are paired-fluidly. When one hits, the fluid flows to the other. I haven't really had time to play around with the power gear version, as I have always used Big Foot or Equalizer. I'll have to look through the Power Gear manual.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 06:47 PM   #8

Yeah, I was pretty much on a straight passenger lean so really would've just preferred to run the right side. When the rear only started to go though I started to get concerned.

I'll be bringing it in in a few weeks so maybe this is something to check out in some more detail?
Old 11-16-2016, 09:52 PM   #9

FOURWHL,
My experience with the levelers commenced soon after picking up the DX3 from the dealer. I stopped at a traffic light, and the dashboard controls for the leveler went into alarm mode. Upon return to the dealer, he made sure the level of the hydraulic fluid was set perfectly to the fill mark. After that, the leveler controls went into alarm mode at every traffic light and when heading down hill. I contacted my salesman at Dynamax. He told me to ignore the fill mark and fill the hydraulic fluid reservoir completely full. Since then, I have not had any alarms.
The automatic levels did not operate for very long. At the FROG rally I had Dynamax fix the levelers three times in quick succession. Each time they worked for two or three times and then stopped working. In addition, the automatic levelers usually had two of the wheels off the ground when the vehicle was finally leveled. The instruction manual for the levelers states the wheels should always be kept on the ground for stability.
Manual operation works well for me.
While I usually find fairly level sites to park, I can foresee times when leveling the DX3, with its long wheel base, will require lifting two wheels off the ground. I will most likely carry boards to put under two of the levelers and blocks to put under the wheels to allow the motorhome to be both level and supported on its four wheels.
Gerard
2016 DX3
Thebackpacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 05:16 AM   #10

Good to know on filling the reservoir full, my lights and alarm have been coming on during hard stops and steep down hills. Whatdid you use for fluid?
Webefine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 07:48 AM   #11

Good question. I used Type A automatic transmission fluid. Information on hydraulic fluid was hard to find. This is what one Power Gear Manual, although not the manual for my system, said:
"RECOMMENDED HYDRAULIC FLUIDS FOR YOUR POWER GEAR
LEVELING SYSTEM
The fluids listed here are acceptable to use in your pump assembly. Contact coach
manufacturer or selling dealer for information about what specific fluid was installed in
your system.
Please consult factory before using any other fluids.
In most applications,
Type A automatic transmission fluid (ATF, Dexron III, etc.,) will work

satisfactorily.
Mercon V is also recommended as an alternative fluid for Power Gear leveling

systems operating in environments with large temperature swings
Operating in cold temperatures (less than -10
F) may cause the jacks may extend

and retract slowly. For cold weather operation, fluid specially-formulated for low
temperatures may be desirable,
Mobil DTE 11M, Texaco Rando HDZ-15HVI, Kendall Hyden Glacial Blu, or any

Mil. Spec. H5606 hydraulic fluids are recommended for cold weather operation."
Thebackpacker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leveling