Old 11-18-2019, 01:21 PM   #1

Lithium Battery Isolation Manager

Just installed the Li-BIM 225 in my 2016 Isata 3FW. Now my Alternator is charging my Battle Born Batteries at 68A 10 seconds after starting the engine. The benefit of this besides the obvious one, charging the Coach Batteries while driving is I can once again start my engine for an early morning slide closure instead of starting my generator at 4AM. I lost this ability in March 2018 when I installed the Lithium Batteries and 60A Progressive Dynamics Lithium Converter. The Voltage on the Lithium Batteries was too high for the stock BIM to connect the Chassis Battery/Alternator to them. It now works perfectly including charging my Chassis Battery with my Converter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BIM_Lithium.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	398.2 KB
ID:	219366  

USN-RET/DOD-RET
mlmay12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 02:31 PM   #2

Lithium Battery Isolation Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmay12 View Post
Just installed the Li-BIM 225 in my 2016 Isata 3FW. Now my Alternator is charging my Battle Born Batteries at 68A 10 seconds after starting the engine. The benefit of this besides the obvious one, charging the Coach Batteries while driving is I can once again start my engine for an early morning slide closure instead of starting my generator at 4AM. I lost this ability in March 2018 when I installed the Lithium Batteries and 60A Progressive Dynamics Lithium Converter. The Voltage on the Lithium Batteries was too high for the stock BIM to connect the Chassis Battery/Alternator to them. It now works perfectly including charging my Chassis Battery with my Converter.

Iím thinking a partially charged Lithium bank would be sufficient to open/close slides without the engine/gen/shore power. They are a higher voltage and I suspect that there is no need to start up the engine.
Maybe Brian can chime in on the need to start up the engine with lithium power. Iím also going to do this upgrade to my Isata 5 when it arrives.
Did you leave the chassis battery AGM? Also, is that the only device you changed on your isata to add the lithium batteries?

mjbenedict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 02:58 PM   #3
GM

In theory, yes, with the higher voltage of the lithium batteries, you would likely not need to have back up power. Of course, nothing is as good as the charging voltage of the alternator that is typically pushing 14+ volts. Or even the converter if the charge wizard is present pushing the charge to 14.4 volts.

Glad to hear the BIM(le) replacement went well. We are now 100% BIM coming off the line and it makes it an easier swap now...so one step closer to a lithium option.
Also, please post questions as a "New Thread" (not private message) so that others can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps.https://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 03:54 PM   #4

Point of clarification: Does the BIM 225 replace the BIRD on the 2019 ISATA 3? You still need to upgrade to a Progressive Dynamics PD4060 Lithium converter as well? Correct? Your post are extremely helpful. Thanks
Old 11-18-2019, 04:00 PM   #5
GM

I may be mistaken, since it doesn't come up much, but I think the Trucks use the BIRD, the Isata 3 uses the BCC (Battery Control Center) instead.

So in that case the BIM would replace the BCC. Though the BCC is really the whole contraption in the step well area.

You would still want to put in a lithium converter as well so it can also properly identify the lithium batteries. The BIM just controls the gateway between the two battery sets and charging process (alternator or house charger)

What you see in the picture above is the BIM, in place of the Solenoid that is in the BCC housing.(in the step well of the the Isata 3). Other than the CB, and the 2020.5 which is BIM already.
Also, please post questions as a "New Thread" (not private message) so that others can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps.https://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 06:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbenedict View Post
Iím thinking a partially charged Lithium bank would be sufficient to open/close slides without the engine/gen/shore power. They are a higher voltage and I suspect that there is no need to start up the engine.
Maybe Brian can chime in on the need to start up the engine with lithium power. Iím also going to do this upgrade to my Isata 5 when it arrives.
Did you leave the chassis battery AGM? Also, is that the only device you changed on your isata to add the lithium batteries?

I installed the Progressive Dynamics Lithium Converter and a Zamp Solar Charge Controller because my old one didn't have the Lithium Profile (2016), newer ones do.

Yes I can open and close the slides just using the batteries. No flashing warnings when the batteries are fully charged except sometimes at the very end of travel. I was talking about in the morning after taking the batteries down to 40% or 50% SOC with lights and TV over night plus waking up to coffee with my drip coffee maker (The Batteries are truly amazing). I have read too many threads on slide problems because of insufficient voltage and see no need to take chances. My slide has performed flawlessly for 3 years and 5 months now (knock on wood).

I was surprised when I started the engine and saw the Coach Batteries were getting 68A, my converter only puts out 60A.

Yesterday I did a test using a 780W Electric Heater using just my Inverter and ran them down to about 50% SOC in about 2.5 hours. The Converter charged them back to 100% SOC in just over 2 hours.
USN-RET/DOD-RET
Old 11-18-2019, 06:53 PM   #7

The new Lithium BIM replaces both the old BIM and Battery Isolation Solenoid. Here is a picture of my old one and Lithium Batteries.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BIM_AGM.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	363.9 KB
ID:	219397   Click image for larger version

Name:	Battle Born_Victron-1.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	161.1 KB
ID:	219398  
USN-RET/DOD-RET
Old 11-18-2019, 07:04 PM   #8

Glad to see the Lithiums are going to be an option, they are amazing.

For you Brian, you guys build a quality product. No one but me has ever touched my 2016 Isata 3FW in 3.5 years. Everything works perfectly after 26 Trips encompassing almost 30K miles. I love my Isata.
USN-RET/DOD-RET
Old 11-18-2019, 07:54 PM   #9

Thanks for the clarification. Is this what is in the ISATA 3 that needs to be swapped out (BI-DIRECTIONAL ISOLATOR
RELAY DELAY)?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Bi-directional Battery isolator.pdf (767.1 KB, 30 views)
Old 11-18-2019, 10:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barch View Post
Thanks for the clarification. Is this what is in the ISATA 3 that needs to be swapped out (BI-DIRECTIONAL ISOLATOR
RELAY DELAY)?
No, the Isata 3 uses a "Battery Control Center" made by Precision Circuits. In the BCC it has a Battery Isolation manager and Battery Isolator Relay that control all Batteries and how they interconnect. There is also a Converter Circuit Breaker and numerous fuses and circuit breakers. Pretty much just a junction box for all 12V connections. This is what the inside looks like. The BIRD does pretty much the same thing on other Vehicles.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BIM_AGM.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	363.9 KB
ID:	219424  
USN-RET/DOD-RET
Old 11-18-2019, 10:14 PM   #11

Here is what is in the Isata 3, but mine has a 00-10033-300D:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Battery Isolation Manager.pdf (39.8 KB, 26 views)
USN-RET/DOD-RET
Old 11-18-2019, 11:01 PM   #12

Thanks. I think I got it. I have made copies of all of the photos. I will need in addition to the batteries:
1. Progressive Dynamics Lithium converter
2. Li-BIM 225
3. Victron 712 if I want to monitor via iPhone.

Anything else?

Since I don''t use my coach in the winter (below 40 degrees) AND I store it inside in the winter always on shore power, Do I need to concern myself with heating the batteries? I understand that Lithium (BattleBorn) batteries will not take a charge below 25 degrees so should I heat the batteries to 35-40 degrees all winter or is that an overkill?
Old 11-18-2019, 11:20 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barch View Post
Thanks. I think I got it. I have made copies of all of the photos. I will need in addition to the batteries:
1. Progressive Dynamics Lithium converter
2. Li-BIM 225
3. Victron 712 if I want to monitor via iPhone.

Anything else?

Since I don''t use my coach in the winter (below 40 degrees) AND I store it inside in the winter always on shore power, Do I need to concern myself with heating the batteries? I understand that Lithium (BattleBorn) batteries will not take a charge below 25 degrees so should I heat the batteries to 35-40 degrees all winter or is that an overkill?
I think you have all the parts covered. The Victron 712 is definitely the way to go. Can't help with the cold as I am in Southern California. I have camped below freezing and never had a problem but I was using the Batteries and not stored.
USN-RET/DOD-RET
Old 11-19-2019, 05:29 AM   #14

Comparing the before and after photos, it doesn't appear to be a plug and play swap. How difficult would you rate the wiring change over for those of us not used to working on aircraft carriers?
Riverbend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 08:59 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverbend View Post
Comparing the before and after photos, it doesn't appear to be a plug and play swap. How difficult would you rate the wiring change over for those of us not used to working on aircraft carriers?
I thought It wasn't real difficult. Just had to remove the old BIM (Square box with wires), the Solenoid (Round thing). Had to change the end of the brown wire from spade connector to ring terminal. Had to mount the new BIM with 3 screws and nuts, it can be mounted anywhere it fits.

I saw a picture of one mounted differently on another thread but they had to move all the "through surface Cable Posts" (those are where the Battery Cables connect outside the box to insulated terminals). I thought that was too much work so I just connected to them where they were. Hardest part was that I made the aluminum buss bars by hand to fit but I thought it would be easier to have some short cables made by a Automotive Battery Store. That is what I did on the Victron Shunt in the picture of the Batteries.

I do have a 34 year electrical background on Military Aircraft so its hard for me to judge how hard it is, sorry. Plus it came with zero directions : )
USN-RET/DOD-RET
Old 11-19-2019, 09:12 AM   #16

Quote:
I thought It wasn't real difficult. Just had to remove the old BIM (Square box with wires), the Solenoid (Round thing). Had to change the end of the brown wire from spade connector to ring terminal. Had to mount the new BIM with 3 screws and nuts, it can be mounted anywhere it fits.

I saw a picture of one mounted differently on another thread but they had to move all the "through surface Cable Posts" (those are where the Battery Cables connect outside the box to insulated terminals). I thought that was too much work so I just connected to them where they were. Hardest part was that I made the aluminum buss bars by hand to fit but I thought it would be easier to have some short cables made by a Automotive Battery Store. That is what I did on the Victron Shunt in the picture of the Batteries.

I do have a 34 year electrical background on Military Aircraft so its hard for me to judge how hard it is, sorry. Plus it came with zero directions : )
Thanks! I might just have another spring project for my Isata 3! This seems so much easier than the Sterling unit I was originally going to install with my LiFePo batteries.
Riverbend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 03:46 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverbend View Post
Thanks! I might just have another spring project for my Isata 3! This seems so much easier than the Sterling unit I was originally going to install with my LiFePo batteries.
This works amazingly well. It gives a satisfying clunk when the batteries are connected and disconnected.

Side note, I had never used my emergency battery connect on the dash so I checked it out. Pushed it and nothing, looked in the Battery Control Center and found the 15A fuse wasn't there. Installed the fuse, pushed it and "Clunk". Was also watching on my smartphone from the Victron 712 and saw the Chassis Battery go from 12.6V to 13.6V when the Coach and Chassis Batteries connected. Fuse is the bottom one on the right.
USN-RET/DOD-RET
Old 11-20-2019, 08:57 AM   #18

Quote:

Oops, it was not the brown wire that had the spade terminal changed to a ring terminal. It was the "red wire", this is the one that brings the ignition signal to the Lithium BIM.

USN-RET/DOD-RET

Tags
battery