Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2019, 07:11 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pod2Vibe View Post
Did BB mention needed the BIM225 LiFePO4 Battery Isolation Manager to protect the batts from over charging while the engine is running? I am thinking our Isata's already have something in the mix to not over charge the AGM coach batts?
Here is the reply after I sent BB a screen shot of my shopping cart:
Hello Jay,

The only piece I would recommend would be the BIM225. That unit would isolate the lithium batteries from the lead acid starter battery. I’ve attached a link to the unit below. Beyond that it looks like you are dialed in.

https://battlebornbatteries.com/shop...ation-manager/
https://battlebornbatteries.com/wp-c...18/09/1230.jpg
This is what I got. I opted for the charger they recommended. So I don't think I'd need the isolator as the battery to battery set up should accomplish that, as well. But please feel free to set me straight, this is all new to me. Thanks!
Riverbend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 09:07 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverbend View Post
https://battlebornbatteries.com/wp-c...18/09/1230.jpg
This is what I got. I opted for the charger they recommended. So I don't think I'd need the isolator as the battery to battery set up should accomplish that, as well. But please feel free to set me straight, this is all new to me. Thanks!
Those are pretty nice. Will increase the current that your vehicle can supply since its a DC to DC converter. Be aware that you Battleborns will never get overcharged. The BMS takes care of that for you.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 08:41 AM   #23

The Xantrex Inverter is already set up to handle lithium batteries. All charging for the house batteries pass through the Xantrex so any additional chargers or isolators are not needed. All that is needed is a couple of programming changes and you will be good to go. I would suggest a Victron battery monitor.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2018 Isata 5 DS
sseaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 09:01 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by sseaner View Post
The Xantrex Inverter is already set up to handle lithium batteries. All charging for the house batteries pass through the Xantrex so any additional chargers or isolators are not needed. All that is needed is a couple of programming changes and you will be good to go. I would suggest a Victron battery monitor.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I have the Magnum CSW1012 so not sure at this point if that holds consistent. But now you've given me more homework! Thanks!
Old 03-03-2019, 11:11 AM   #25

Quote:
All charging for the house batteries pass through the Xantrex so any additional chargers or isolators are not needed.
That is not true. You are saying that if you had solar, the output of that controller would pass through the Xantrex inverter?
Old 03-03-2019, 12:09 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
That is not true. You are saying that if you had solar, the output of that controller would pass through the Xantrex inverter?
I was talking about genset, shore power, and chassis charging of the house batteries. Solar is an option. If you have solar, just simply select the LiPo option in your solar setup and you are done.

2018 Isata 5 DS
Old 03-03-2019, 12:37 PM   #27

Quote:
I was talking about genset, shore power, and chassis charging of the house batteries. Solar is an option. If you have solar, just simply select the LiPo option in your solar setup and you are done.
Chassis charging is done on the DC side. It will not be going through the inverter/charger. It's why you may need an isolator or something similar like the Sterling device that the OP purchased.
Old 03-03-2019, 12:41 PM   #28

Quote:
Unless I'm wrong, which is always possible, my coach batteries are charged by 4 potential sources, the chassis alternator, the generator, shore power and solar. The generator and shore power run through my GD converter/charger, for which I've purchased the lithium conversion module. The solar is controlled by my GP PRO MW-30-SQ, which I keep set on AGM. It has no lithium setting but the parameters are within spec per GP and Battle Born. The alternator will be handled by the Sterling Power battery to battery unit I'm installing. The batteries also have integral management components to further protect them.
Old 03-03-2019, 12:58 PM   #29

Quote:
The alternator will be handled by the Sterling Power battery to battery unit I'm installing. The batteries also have integral management components to further protect them.
yep..that is correct. One reason you need the chassis and the BAttleBorns isolated is because the voltage of the fully charged BattleBorns is higher than your chassis battery. In fact, if you had no isolation between your chassis and the BattleBorns, even with the engine running at idle, the Battleborns could actually discharge towards the chassis side.
Old 03-03-2019, 01:01 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pod2Vibe View Post
Did BB mention needed the BIM225 LiFePO4 Battery Isolation Manager to protect the batts from over charging while the engine is running? I am thinking our Isata's already have something in the mix to not over charge the AGM coach batts?

Here is the reply after I sent BB a screen shot of my shopping cart:
Hello Jay,

The only piece I would recommend would be the BIM225. That unit would isolate the lithium batteries from the lead acid starter battery. I’ve attached a link to the unit below. Beyond that it looks like you are dialed in.

https://battlebornbatteries.com/shop...ation-manager/
There being the "Momentary Battery Booster Switch" already installed on my MBS for temporarily connecting chassis and house batteries, does this not in so many words suggest that they are already isolated?
Old 03-03-2019, 01:20 PM   #31

The Xantrex is an Inverter/Charger. My error on the chassis charging as it is direct to the coach batteries but it is managed by the B.I.R.D which also allows the Xantrex to charge the chassis battery

2018 Isata 5 DS
Old 03-03-2019, 02:05 PM   #32

Quote:
The Xantrex is an Inverter/Charger. My error on the chassis charging as it is direct to the coach batteries but it is managed by the B.I.R.D which also allows the Xantrex to charge the chassis battery
That makes sense, I thought there was already something in the mix to isolate the chassis and house.

Here is some good info on the BIRD isolator relay:

https://www.intellitec.com/assets/pd...-00839-000.pdf

Cheers to all.

2015 Solera MBS 24R - Hellwig/Sumo Equipped, Sold
(Sold the Vibe TT, as well)
Pod2Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 02:31 PM   #33

And my 2019/18/17 Isata 3 has no BIRD.
Old 03-03-2019, 03:19 PM   #34

Quote:
And my 2019/18/17 Isata 3 has no BIRD.
Yes, the bird is similar to the 225 isolator you are purchasing. I assumed the Isata 3 had one also.

2018 Isata 5 DS
Old 03-03-2019, 03:28 PM   #35

Quote:
Yes, the bird is similar to the 225 isolator you are purchasing. I assumed the Isata 3 had one also.
Easy to get confused...it wasn't me buying the isolator. I'm installing the battery to battery charger, a Sterling Power unit sold by BB as a BB1230. Still not 100% sure I'm isolated chassis to coach.
Old 03-03-2019, 03:35 PM   #36

Quote:
Easy to get confused...it wasn't me buying the isolator. I'm installing the battery to battery charger, a Sterling Power unit sold by BB as a BB1230. Still not 100% sure I'm isolated chassis to coach.
Beer, smoking brisket and forums! Never a good combo!

2018 Isata 5 DS
Old 03-03-2019, 03:41 PM   #37

Quote:
Beer, smoking brisket and forums! Never a good combo!
If you were closer we'd talk about this over that beer and smoked brisket! DW is just now cooking up a batch of Sweet'n'Smoky Maple Bourbon Bacon Brewhaha. That goes great with brisket!
Old 03-04-2019, 04:00 PM   #38

I emailed Battle Born this morning with a couple questions regarding isolating batteries. As I suspected, the Sterling Power battery to battery unit will also serve as the isolator. They are now researching the dynamics of the Momentary Battery Booster Switch and how it plays into all this. I've gotta say that BB has impressed me so far at every turn. They've been really helpful sharing what they know and now it appears that they are also willing to learn what they don't so they can be more helpful. I like that...a lot!
Old 03-06-2019, 07:59 AM   #39

I've just ordered the Victron BMV-712 battery monitor, with a temperature sensor, to add to the mix. The existing GoPower PMW-30-SQ, as I understand it, is not a true monitor for "state of charge". The only other addition I'm considering at this point is possibly a 12v heat blanket for the bottom of the battery compartment. We may at some point want to travel in weather too cold for charging the LiFePo4 batteries, and now seems like the best time to consider the addition. There are now LiFePo4 batteries designed with internal heating from Relion but at an additional $450 (total $900 then in my case) per battery, I think I can make a viable alternative for under $100. Our electrical engineer son will be here Sunday for my DW's birthday and I'm sure we'll spend some time drinking and thinking. Just a little!
Old 03-06-2019, 08:45 AM   #40

Quote:
I've just ordered the Victron BMV-712 battery monitor, with a temperature sensor, to add to the mix. The existing GoPower PMW-30-SQ, as I understand it, is not a true monitor for "state of charge". The only other addition I'm considering at this point is possibly a 12v heat blanket for the bottom of the battery compartment. We may at some point want to travel in weather too cold for charging the LiFePo4 batteries, and now seems like the best time to consider the addition. There are now LiFePo4 batteries designed with internal heating from Relion but at an additional $450 (total $900 then in my case) per battery, I think I can make a viable alternative for under $100. Our electrical engineer son will be here Sunday for my DW's birthday and I'm sure we'll spend some time drinking and thinking. Just a little!
When you install your Victron, the shunt is not weatherproof so choose your installation location carefully. I ended up installing mine inside of an exterior electrical enclosure mounted to the underside of the floor in the battery compartment. Wrestling 1/0 AWG battery cables is no fun task.

2018 Isata 5 DS