Old 02-23-2019, 07:48 PM   #1

Lithium is calling

I've posted about our new/used Isata3, about battery issues and about our solar panels being reverse wired when we took possession. Regardless of what, if anything, the dealer takes responsibility for I'm wanting to switch to Battle Born LiFePO4 batteries. I've read that Progressive Dynamics makes a fairly simple component swap for lithium. Anyone do the change to lithium and have info to share?

Riverbend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 08:20 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverbend View Post
I've posted about our new/used Isata3, about battery issues and about our solar panels being reverse wired when we took possession. Regardless of what, if anything, the dealer takes responsibility for I'm wanting to switch to Battle Born LiFePO4 batteries. I've read that Progressive Dynamics makes a fairly simple component swap for lithium. Anyone do the change to lithium and have info to share?
I am anxious to see where this goes Rich, I would be interested to change to lithium as well. In the little research I have done, most chargers that will charge AGM's (with a programmable Charge Management System) will charge lithium's but lack the hardware to disconnect completely if the voltage becomes too high or too low. Lithium's don't like hot environments and you can't charge them below freezing. Please keep us posted with your project!

I5PhilGa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 08:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by I5PhilGa View Post
I am anxious to see where this goes Rich, I would be interested to change to lithium as well. In the little research I have done, most chargers that will charge AGM's (with a programmable Charge Management System) will charge lithium's but lack the hardware to disconnect completely if the voltage becomes too high or too low. Lithium's don't like hot environments and you can't charge them below freezing. Please keep us posted with your project!
Be happy to keep you posted Phil. I've saturated my brain doing research and I just can't think of anything to keep from going forward. The upfront cost is steep, but it starts to turn in our favor down the road a few years. Plus the power they serve up is impressive. There's some concerns like you mentioned related to ambient temperature but for 0 - 100F they offer many benefits. BB is going to follow up with me next week, plus they're a preferred provider according to Progressive Dynamics.
Old 02-23-2019, 08:53 PM   #4
GM

Same thing...we were looking at Relion. The battery itself will take whatever you throw at it and it meters the voltage on its own.

The one question mark is that it will not charge when freezing....so it really needs a battery heater so that if you want to leave in winter. I guess it will discharge when freezing, so hopefully by time it is going dead the coach is up to temp.
Also, please post questions as a "New Thread" (not private message) so that others can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps.https://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 09:00 PM   #5
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
The one question mark is that it will not charge when freezing....so it really needs a battery heater so that if you want to leave in winter. I guess it will discharge when freezing, so hopefully by time it is going dead the coach is up to temp.
Yes, they’ll discharge just not charge. Yes, battery blankets can be helpful. I believe BB had one. I also think they’ve lowered their low temp point below freezing.

For Riverbend, I upgraded my trailer to Battle Born batteries and wrote about it here:
Let’s Boondock! Battery upgrade (to lithium)! | Learn To RV

Yes, it should be decently easy to switch to a lithium aware Progressive Industries charger/converter. But it can be a challenge to find someone to sell you the specific model you need. On my current rig (Spartan toy hauler fifth wheek), the converter is part of the distribution panel. Progressive Industries makes a replacement but they wouldn’t sell direct and Best Converter never got me pricing.

However, you might consider an upgrade to an inverter/charger and charge with that instead.
Old 02-23-2019, 09:11 PM   #6

Battle Born claims effective temperature range of 0 - 100F. And what a novel concept, using a battery powered battery blanket to keep that same battery working! Almost feels like it goes against the laws of physics! I've not heard of that other brand but will check them out. Edited: I have seen Relion products...they are about 30% more than Battle Born but have good reviews.
Old 02-23-2019, 09:22 PM   #7
Assistant TP Supervisor

If you want to look at some heavy users of Battleborn Batteries check out the RV Nomads movie. Always on Liberty https://alwaysonliberty.com acquaintances I met though the HOC have done this where there Heartland Landmark. I have just taken delivery of my solar panels and MPPT controller to start on my project for my Heartland Landmark as well.

Best of luck with this project.

Brian
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 09:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
If you want to look at some heavy users of Battleborn Batteries check out the RV Nomads movie. Always on Liberty https://alwaysonliberty.com acquaintances I met though the HOC have done this where there Heartland Landmark. I have just taken delivery of my solar panels and MPPT controller to start on my project for my Heartland Landmark as well.

Best of luck with this project.

Brian
And best of luck to you, as well! You sprung for the fancy controller, eh? I've seen the RVNomad review, as well. Only thing holding me back for now is my DW said "they cost HOW MUCH?" She'll go along because she's very logical and the lithium just makes sense.
Old 02-24-2019, 07:36 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Same thing...we were looking at Relion. The battery itself will take whatever you throw at it and it meters the voltage on its own.

Anyone looking at RB100-LT Low Temperature version?
bambamdrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 07:41 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambamdrw View Post
Anyone looking at RB100-LT Low Temperature version?
Those RB 100-LT batteries seem like the next generation. Also close to $1,400 each. I'm wondering if these prices will go down or are they at the bottom now?
Another benefit from LiFePo is the weight, and especially to us class c owners with low CCC.