Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2020, 10:38 AM   #1

Lithium Upgrade for Isata 5 30FW

I want to upgrade to lithium. I understand that the charge profiles are what need to be changed. I understand that the BIM needs to be replaced with lithium version. I also understand that the converter is not made for lithium. The inverter/ charger can be switched to lithium, and the controller for solar. My question is does the converter need to be replaced? How difficult is that? I guess what confuses me is I dont know what is doing the battery charging, the inverter/charger or the converter? If you leave the existing converter will it just not charge a 100% or will it damage the batteries by going in to float? Also what about generator power? Can that just be adjusted setting wise like the others?
Melo3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 11:24 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered. I'm only going to address the generation question. There should be no need to do anything to the generation it is designed to supply 60 cycle 110V power to the other appliances. there are some real techs on the forum who will be able to advise on the requirement for changing or not changing appliances to accommodate lithium batteries.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 12:45 PM   #3

Lithium Upgrade for Isata 5 30FW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melo3rd View Post
I want to upgrade to lithium. I understand that the charge profiles are what need to be changed. I understand that the BIM needs to be replaced with lithium version. I also understand that the converter is not made for lithium. The inverter/ charger can be switched to lithium, and the controller for solar. My question is does the converter need to be replaced? How difficult is that? I guess what confuses me is I dont know what is doing the battery charging, the inverter/charger or the converter? If you leave the existing converter will it just not charge a 100% or will it damage the batteries by going in to float? Also what about generator power? Can that just be adjusted setting wise like the others?

Someone can correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t think you have a converter at all.
When you have an inverter/charger it takes the role of charging the batteries which provide your 12vdc power.
I’m planning on changing my soon to be delivered Isata 5 36ds to lithium.
It has a Magnum inverter charger and a BIM that I will have to change out to a LI-BIM. That is the only device I am planning on changing.
With a good lithium like Battle Born, Relion, or LifeBlue their built in BMS can handle regular chargers well. To get a full charge I will need to change the profile in the Magnum and the solar charger.
This assumes you have the same equipment in your 30FW.

In summary:
*change out BIM for LI-BIM (allows charging to/from chassis, alternator)
*adjust charging parameters in Magnum and Solar chargers
*pay attention to environment you place the Lithium batteries in, they shouldn’t get wet or charge when below freezing (check MFG specs) - some come with heaters built in
*make sure battery has a high enough discharge current to start generator when you pick them out (ask manufacturer), that is the only thing you need to worry about with respect to the generator
No longer mine: 2006 Rockwood Roo 23SS
All pop-up and tent camping before...
mjbenedict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 03:39 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbenedict View Post
Someone can correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t think you have a converter at all.
When you have an inverter/charger it takes the role of charging the batteries which provide your 12vdc power.
I’m planning on changing my soon to be delivered Isata 5 36ds to lithium.
It has a Magnum inverter charger and a BIM that I will have to change out to a LI-BIM. That is the only device I am planning on changing.
With a good lithium like Battle Born, Relion, or LifeBlue their built in BMS can handle regular chargers well. To get a full charge I will need to change the profile in the Magnum and the solar charger.
This assumes you have the same equipment in your 30FW.

In summary:
*change out BIM for LI-BIM (allows charging to/from chassis, alternator)
*adjust charging parameters in Magnum and Solar chargers
*pay attention to environment you place the Lithium batteries in, they shouldn’t get wet or charge when below freezing (check MFG specs) - some come with heaters built in
*make sure battery has a high enough discharge current to start generator when you pick them out (ask manufacturer), that is the only thing you need to worry about with respect to the generator
^^THis is correct^^^ you do not have a convertor. You have an Inverter/charger.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
upgrade