Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2017, 12:35 PM   #1

Living with smaller CCC

So, we are downsizing from a 34ft class A to 24ft Isata 3. Lots of reason for this but that should be another thread. My question is what have others done to cope with the limited CCC. I not complaining I knew it would be small when we ordered the Motorhome. Just asking how to make the most of what we will have.

Things like filling the water only 1/2 way, taking only two camp chairs etc.
wrmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 06:35 AM   #2

Your new downsized MH will be downsized in the storage space too.

Simply being aware and rational is all most folks need to keep weights in check.

A run across a scale after your first loading will show how well you are doing.
FFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 06:51 AM   #3

I try to have very little water in the fresh tank; perhaps just enough for the toilet and hand washing. Usually, it is empty. If we don't plan on grilling, I leave the gas grill at home. If I know we will have easy access to grocery stores we pack less food. My tool box has multi use tools, i.e. a small hatchet that can double as a hammer.
Old 09-02-2017, 03:03 PM   #4

Thanks, for the replies.

I was thinking about how to reduce the weight of my tool kit, multi tools are a good start.
Old 09-02-2017, 04:00 PM   #5

I think part of managing the lower CCC is getting as much as you can when you order your Sprinter. Just between you & me, a CCC below 850 lbs is not usable for lots of folks.

This is a little off topic, but finding a Sprinter with more than 1200 CCC is really a challenge. But there are somethings you can do. The Navion without the over cab bunk can get to 1200+ CCC. For the Isata-3 24FW, like we just ordered, it is possible to get the CCC over 1000 lbs. Here's some keys to weight saving: no over cab bunk, no stabilizers, go with a LP generator, not diesel. Dynamax is working hard to get the CCC higher without sacrificing quality.

Regarding no stabilizers, we plan on getting the new aluminum LEVELERS from Bullseye Technology. They weigh in at 100 lbs for a 4-point leveling system.

We have a pretty big sack of camping stuff that came out of our class A. At least two-thirds of it will have to go away, especially our rock collection

But in the end, I think it will be worth it.

Happy camping.
Dave
caswelld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 04:26 PM   #6

Four Alcoa wheels plus the deletion of the wheel simulators will get you really close to an additional 80-90 pounds of CCC. I'm sure someone will chime in that wheels are unsprung weight, but the scales don't know the difference.

Don't think you can do 6 Alcoa wheels anymore on the 2016 and up MBS chassis as MB changed the rear hub design.

It's about $2500 or so, but the wheels look good, you get rid of the troublesome and departure prone simulators and it's easy to check tire pressure with the proper valve stems.
KatanaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 07:07 PM   #7
Love my Rev

Chiming in - 6 new light $2500 wheels may trick the scales - but would not help with ccc weight safety at all
steve32409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 08:01 PM   #8

Sure it will

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve32409 View Post
Chiming in - 6 new light $2500 wheels may trick the scales - but would not help with ccc weight safety at all
Do you not think if the aluminum wheels were factory installed, when they weighed the coach the door sticker would reflect the appropriate and increased CCC? The maximum weight determined by the chassis manufacturer includes unsprung weight, so reducing the unsprung weight will increase the CCC.

Example -

Maximum vehicle weight - 15,000 pounds
Empty chassis weight (with steel wheels) - 14,000 pounds
CCC - 1000 pounds

Same vehicle, but with aluminum wheels
Empty chassis weight (with aluminum wheels) - 13,900 pounds
CCC - 1100 pounds

Something wrong with my logic?
KatanaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 10:58 PM   #9
Love my Rev

it would take someone smarter than me

I just see that tires and axles have a max safe load attached to them . At a certain weight tires will fail and the axle will break . They probably have a very complex way to calculate wheel weight , the axle, springs, shocks , ect. - then come up with safe weight numbers .
steve32409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 09:48 AM   #10

Thanks for the replies;

The motorhome has already been ordered and when I ordered it I did not have the advantage of all the knowledge available on this forum. I found it after ordering, however I have learned a lot since then.

It would have been nice if there was worksheet to see what effect different configurations would have had on the CCC.

All the stuff that came out of the Class A went into 3 piles, a dry camp pile, A full hook up pile, and a big pile of not going camping again.

Has anyone downsized stoves, grills, or coffee makers? Anything you are happy with enough to share?
Old 09-03-2017, 10:33 AM   #11

Adding aluminum wheels does (imho) add to the safety of a motor home. They run truer (due to how they are made), cooler, are definitely lighter (as proven by how many big trucks have them). Overall, from my knowledge, being in the trucking industry for 30 years. I have seen less issues with aluminum wheel over steel.
RockHaulerLarry523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 06:10 AM   #12

"coffee makers?"

We prefer a SS expresso coffee maker.

It is large enough for 2 real cups and is the fastest system in the AM.

One delight is you can fill it , then jump back in bed till it processes, about 5 min on a gas stove.

The noise of the steam escaping after its finished is key to getting back up.
FFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 09:37 AM   #13

I had to ration the amount I bring with me.
My pellet grill got the boot, and will be replaced by a Weber Q.
Sorry, I can’t ditch the cappuccino machine...
Old 09-04-2017, 01:23 PM   #14

For coffee, we use the Aeropress and a milk heater/frother - Aeropress weighs virtually nothing, and makes the best cup of coffee outside of a full-blown coffee-shop style espresso machine. Leaves me more weight and room for the various whiskeys as well...