Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2016, 05:41 PM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred555 View Post
You can try going to backup camera icon on uconnect and pushing it....it works in my other Dodge

The dead bolt is same key or keyless
fred555, thanks for the response. I've scrolled through just about everything and I do not see a back-up camera icon anywhere on the uconnect screen.
Stroker09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 07:36 PM   #102

We don't have a back up camera on our 2017 Isata 5 DS. Well, we haven't found one, anyway!
DavidMort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 08:02 AM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroker09 View Post
fred555, thanks for the response. I've scrolled through just about everything and I do not see a back-up camera icon anywhere on the uconnect screen.
There is no way to access the backup camera other than by putting it in reverse. This is how the software is designed for all the Unconnect equipped vehicles.. Poor foresight by Dynamax for not having Dodge give us the capability to access backup camera anytime we need to. I really miss it. We towed our Jeep on a long trip recently and it pulled fine, but it was very nerve-wracking wondering if the Jeep was really back there or not. When going straight you can't see it at all. Using the "tow/haul" button REALLY helped out with braking while towing.

Fingers crossed Dynamax can have Uconnect give us a software update to use the backup camera
Old 08-30-2016, 08:10 AM   #104

I have same back up camera in my 1500 maybe the uconnect software is different but that can be easily fixed by dealer under warranty this is easy
fred555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 08:51 AM   #105

U Connect Nav System

I have the U Connect system with Nav in my 2014 Rubicon. I like the functionality of the system but the company that creates and updates the navigation maps rarely updates them. I went through many phone calls and emails with the actual software company that provides the maps. It was over 2 years after I bought my Jeep before a map update was available, which was just recently. In our day to day world, this makes no sense. This is a Fiat/Chrysler Corp issue. Our phones update maps constantly, Garmin and Delorme have lifetime quarterly updates. So if you are excited about using the Nav system in the new I-5 RV, I think you will be disappointed.

I was excited to option the UConnect system when I ordered the new Jeep only to find out I could have had a better unit for the same money by going after market with a Garmin update-able mapping application.

The pros of the Uconnect system is it is very easy to use all other functions.
Explorer1016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 09:32 AM   #106

There is no Nav in I5 so doesn't matter
fred555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 09:41 AM   #107

Well, the camera is there and works fine when vehicle is in reverse. There should be little "extra" effort to configure it so you can view your tow while driving. Hopefully Brian Clemmens will chime in and let us know Dyanamax's position on this issue. Thanks for all the responses. Anyone else with the 36DS have troubles with their keys/keyless entry as I described in my OP?
Old 08-30-2016, 09:48 AM   #108

Quote:
In that case, I would opt for a Kenwood double dinn head unit with everything you want, nav, controllable backup camera, bluetooth, etc. The kenwood is a little more complex than the uconnect system due to the fact it has about 20 menu options. I have one now and it took me quite awhile to learn how to use it because of all of the menu's and options available.

And yes, I know, the uconnect system is standard in the I-5 as presented.
Explorer1016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 10:22 AM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMort View Post
We don't have a back up camera on our 2017 Isata 5 DS. Well, we haven't found one, anyway!
Disregard, was thinking about our truck, not the RV. Long day.
DavidMort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 10:44 AM   #110
Commercial Member

Man, you guys are going too fast. One little meeting and this thread grew like two pages.

1. The U Connect on the I5 does not have the NAV option. Chrysler says a local dealer can install it however. We did not make it standard because it was expensive from the OEM and lots of people are using their phones or portable garmin these days. I have the NAV in my Jeep and have never used it. Prefer to use my phone. (I actually have TOMTOM downloaded from my days of traveling to Canada). Doesn't use data, gets updated often, POI's are always current. Same interface no matter what vehicle I climb in.

2. Back up camera comes on in reverse. I guess you can say that it is poor foresight by Dynamax, but the engineers talked to FCA about the UConnect and what we wanted it to do. Dodge said they had the ticket and offered us a "camera in a bag" solution for OEM's. They were very excited about selling this OEM system to us. So we bought them and they are sitting in a desk drawer. The camera comes raw with no housing, which means unless we designed it into our cap up front, it can't be used. The UConnect, does not enable rear camera at will. So we figured we could just trick it and tie into the reverse wire with a button. Problem is, all of those triggers come through the CANBUS...not old school power wires anymore. So it was really FCA not understanding the RV side of things. We will ask for a software update, but I think our only option is to radio delete on future units and provide our own system.

I love the UConnect. I think it is very intuitive, large each to use buttons. Via rental I have driven just about every car imaginable. Ford Sync, I hate, Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Chevy are all just ok. Everyone loves to jump into a vehicle and see an OEM radio they are familiar with or just works with all the car features (so many things are integrated). So its lose that OEM integration and have a more RV specific radio, or have all that integration and lose some of the RV specific things I think we're accustomed too. Both are a trade off.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 07:51 PM   #111

Quote:
You can purchase a Nav option for the Uconnect, its just a software download (or unlock) through a Chrysler/Dodge dealer, from my recollection its around $600-800 though.
Old 08-30-2016, 07:53 PM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Man, you guys are going too fast. One little meeting and this thread grew like two pages.

2. Back up camera comes on in reverse. I guess you can say that it is poor foresight by Dynamax, but the engineers talked to FCA about the UConnect and what we wanted it to do. Dodge said they had the ticket and offered us a "camera in a bag" solution for OEM's. They were very excited about selling this OEM system to us. So we bought them and they are sitting in a desk drawer. The camera comes raw with no housing, which means unless we designed it into our cap up front, it can't be used. The UConnect, does not enable rear camera at will. So we figured we could just trick it and tie into the reverse wire with a button. Problem is, all of those triggers come through the CANBUS...not old school power wires anymore. So it was really FCA not understanding the RV side of things. We will ask for a software update, but I think our only option is to radio delete on future units and provide our own system.

I love the UConnect. I think it is very intuitive, large each to use buttons. Via rental I have driven just about every car imaginable. Ford Sync, I hate, Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Chevy are all just ok. Everyone loves to jump into a vehicle and see an OEM radio they are familiar with or just works with all the car features (so many things are integrated). So its lose that OEM integration and have a more RV specific radio, or have all that integration and lose some of the RV specific things I think we're accustomed too. Both are a trade off.
Thanks for the detail. Its an unfortunate quirk. Pretty important to us, really see no option now other than install a 3rd-party rear camera system.
Old 08-30-2016, 07:58 PM   #113
Commercial Member

We've got a message in to see if there is a way we might be able to add a switch.

Old 09-01-2016, 11:58 AM   #114

My 2016 Ram 1500 has a rear camera button under apps. It triggers the camera for 10-15 seconds. There are a few places online that sell a lockpick for the ram that can override a lot of settings. Not sure if its available for this unit.

2016 Dynamax Force. Just-Rite2
Old 09-02-2016, 08:00 AM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by halla View Post
My 2016 Ram 1500 has a rear camera button under apps. It triggers the camera for 10-15 seconds. There are a few places online that sell a lockpick for the ram that can override a lot of settings. Not sure if its available for this unit.

2016 Dynamax Force. Just-Rite2
I did read about that online. From what I recall, that hacker software still wouldn't work in our case, due to the way the camera is wired. Something about power is completely disconnected to camera when not in reverse, so even if you could override software and activate camera, there would be no power to it. Hopefully I'm wrong and somebody smart can figure this out for us.
Old 09-02-2016, 10:31 AM   #116

[QUOTE=Stroker09;1304352]Well, the camera is there and works fine when vehicle is in reverse. There should be little "extra" effort to configure it so you can view your tow while driving. Hopefully Brian Clemmens will chime in and let us know Dyanamax's position on this issue. Thanks for all the responses. Anyone else with the 36DS have troubles with their keys/keyless entry as I described in my OP?[/QUOTE]

Just to ask again, anyone have issues with their coach key/keyless entry. The key that came with my coach will not go all the way in and will not unlock the deadbolt. The keyless entry will not lock the deadbolt as described on the sticker fastened to the inside of the lock. It says to enter your code and then press 7/8 and enter simultaneously. Anyone?
Old 09-02-2016, 11:00 AM   #117
Commercial Member

Which keyless entry do you have? The one with the buttons on the latch, or the one with buttons down below on the door?

If it's the bauer with the numbers on the latch.
Have you reset the code or is it still on the default?
The default is 3-7-1-5, then hit the button with the key on it.

Old 09-02-2016, 11:27 AM   #118

Mr. Clemens,

I didn't get a chance to meet you at Goshen, but Zack was very helpful in your absence.

You mentioned in an earlier post here that you would welcome ideas for another layout for the I-5, here's my wish list :

Currently have a Forester 2801 which we LOVE the layout of the main cabin, ie the theater seating across from TV.

What I'd buy is an I-5 with the cabin similar layout to 2801 but WITHOUT a bed that requires the slide being out.

The larger tanks and batteries works for us as we prefer boondocking.

Give me those two things on the I-5 and I'll be first in line to buy.

One other feature I'd like to have is a bunk model with the bunk area turned into a closet (can get into that bed without putting out slide).

Many thanks for the support you provide this community.

Paul
2003-12 1997 Blue Bird Wanderlodge WB 43 class A
2016-17 2016 Forest River Forester 2801 QSF class C
2017 2018 Renegade Verona 36VSB Super C
AncientMariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 12:20 PM   #119
Commercial Member

The 35DB has sofa opposite the dinette. I can probably figure out how to put a closet in there instead of the bunk pretty easily. When do you want to pick it up?

Old 09-02-2016, 12:37 PM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
The 35DB has sofa opposite the dinette. I can probably figure out how to put a closet in there instead of the bunk pretty easily. When do you want to pick it up?
We looked at that model and was fairly certain the bunk/closet was not a problem nor the recliners for couch, but (always a but lol), the TV couldn't move in front of the recliners/theater seats. It's a pain to have to look up and at a 45 degree angle twist to your head to watch a movie etc. Although the 2810 has a smaller TV to fit in the dinette area, it is more than sufficient in the short viewing distance and is at a comfortable height.

I expect I'm in the minority on TV location in class Cs as most by all companies put the tv in the above cab area with a swivel bracket that turns the tv in the general direction of the viewers. I never see anyone complain about that out of the gazillion complaints RVers like me have .

Also, I would have seriously talked with someone while at Goshen about all these slight mods, but Zack said if I special ordered one, it would be after the first of the year before I would get it. That was a major turn off.

Paul
2003-12 1997 Blue Bird Wanderlodge WB 43 class A
2016-17 2016 Forest River Forester 2801 QSF class C
2017 2018 Renegade Verona 36VSB Super C
AncientMariner is offline   Reply With Quote