Old 05-10-2016, 11:51 AM   #1

Looking at the Isata 5 36DS

Hello All, I'm a newbie here to this forum and the wife and I are looking for some information. We are in the market for a Class C Diesel and have pretty much selected the new Isata 5 36DS.

We are currently in a 2003 Airstream Land Yacht and have been quite pleased with the quality and workmanship of the Airstream. We put a lot of miles on our RV, we bought it last February and put 20,000 miles on it since we bought it. Now that it has 70,000 miles on it, i'm not sure how many years of 20,000 a year we have left in it.

One more thing is that the wife does not like driving the Class A and she thinks she will be more comfortable driving a class C. Hence our search for a Class C.

I was interested in the Jayco Seneca but it just didn't seem to be of the same quality and workmanship of my Airstream and the older Dynaquest units. Since we are not retired yet, the DX3 is not an option at this time. While researching the DX3, I came upon the Isata 5 and am quite intrigued by it. Finding this forum has been a great find for me, I've read as much as I can and am also very excited to see Mr. Clemens posting here regularly. It says a lot when someone from the company posts here and answers any and all questions that customers have.

Enough of the introduction, now on to my questions.

1. I see that there are a few posters here that have the new 36DS. Are you satisfied with your purchase? Any issues that I should be aware of?

2. I was wondering what type of fuel economy you are getting? I don't tow anything yet but I may tow my Ford Explorer Sport later down the road.

3. How does it ride? One thing the wife is afraid of is the swaying when a big rig passes us. Driving about 20,000 miles a year - I need her to get behind the wheel on occasion.

4. Does anyone have the 100W solar panel option installed? Is it worth getting from the factory or putting it on aftermarket?

5. Does anyone have the Front entertainment option? I'd like to see it and it's not shown on the literature. With this option, is the bunk still usable or is it replaced with the larger TV?

Lastly for Mr. Clemens,

1. Are there any RV shows coming up that I can see a unit? I'm located in Hickory, NC and the local dealer happens to be a Dynamax Dealer but they have none of these on their lot.

2. I've dealt with the local dealer to service my current RV, are they a new dealer for you and will they be able to service this RV if I decide to purchase it?

Thank you all for taking the time to read this long post and thanks in advance for any answers that you may provide me with.

Old 05-10-2016, 01:33 PM   #2
GM

1. I love my 36DS. It is the best motorhome I have ever owned and recommend you buy one right away!

Not sure why it keeps showing this written by clemens...I don't even know that guy.

PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message, my inbox fills up too quickly. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only (VIN, Contact info or things you do not want the public to see).
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 01:49 PM   #3
GM

3. We were actually going to do an aftermarket suspension upgrade because we know the Ford's ride rough...but our suspension guy said this one was pretty darn good as stock. Just a better design than the Ford.
4. Its actually (2) 100W panels for a total of 200 Watts. Aftermarket seems to be expensive, which is why we started offering from the factory. I've seen some $2000 200 watt aftermarket systems which seemed really high. Labor probably.
5. That's sort of an error. I said I wanted a 50" front entertainment center and engineering thought I just wanted a 50" TV. You would not have a sleeping area with the front Entertainment center (with cabinets across the front). But they tell me we can "JUST" fit in a 50" TV on a swing arm. 46", I would feel more comfortable with, but we don't stock that size.

For me.
1. Carolina Coach should be getting one soon. Good dealer, very respectable owner. They are having and open house this coming weekend. Not sure if it will make it, but will be there right after.
2. While they are new with the 36DS, they have carried the trucks for a bit.
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message, my inbox fills up too quickly. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only (VIN, Contact info or things you do not want the public to see).
Old 05-10-2016, 05:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
1. I love my 36DS. It is the best motorhome I have ever owned and recommend you buy one right away!

Not sure why it keeps showing this written by clemens...I don't even know that guy.
This forum needs a like button! Hahaha
Old 05-11-2016, 08:09 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
3. We were actually going to do an aftermarket suspension upgrade because we know the Ford's ride rough...but our suspension guy said this one was pretty darn good as stock. Just a better design than the Ford.
4. Its actually (2) 100W panels for a total of 200 Watts. Aftermarket seems to be expensive, which is why we started offering from the factory. I've seen some $2000 200 watt aftermarket systems which seemed really high. Labor probably.
5. That's sort of an error. I said I wanted a 50" front entertainment center and engineering thought I just wanted a 50" TV. You would not have a sleeping area with the front Entertainment center (with cabinets across the front). But they tell me we can "JUST" fit in a 50" TV on a swing arm. 46", I would feel more comfortable with, but we don't stock that size.

For me.
1. Carolina Coach should be getting one soon. Good dealer, very respectable owner. They are having and open house this coming weekend. Not sure if it will make it, but will be there right after.
2. While they are new with the 36DS, they have carried the trucks for a bit.
Just got my invitation to their open house. I'll be by on Sunday to see them.
Old 05-14-2016, 02:15 PM   #6

We just bought our 2017 Isata 5 DSD from Colton RV in the Buffalo, NY area. We will pick it up May 23. We are first time RVers, and have been researching for about two years now. When we saw the Isata yesterday, we knew it was what we had been looking for! And for anyone in the Buffalo area, these guys are great!
Old 05-15-2016, 08:30 PM   #7

Welcome Dave! Looks nice.
Old 05-16-2016, 09:54 AM   #8

OCCC

Anyone with the Isata 5 series what's is your OCCC according to the yellow sticker?
Old 05-17-2016, 06:52 PM   #9
GM

The last one I looked at had about 1200 CCC. If you don't fill the 2nd tank it would save another 126 lbs.
Old 05-23-2016, 09:13 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMort View Post
We just bought our 2017 Isata 5 DSD from Colton RV in the Buffalo, NY area. We will pick it up May 23. We are first time RVers, and have been researching for about two years now. When we saw the Isata yesterday, we knew it was what we had been looking for! And for anyone in the Buffalo area, these guys are great!
Can you please email me at fred555@aol.com